Bob's search for the real White Widow with Dutch Passion's regular genetics

First seedlings...
  • Hey growers and blowers :toke:

I've been checking the tent's values the last two days...The temperature is a nice and cozy 25-26°C/77-79°F. Keeping the humidity high enough is a real challenge. I've placed a humidifier amongst the seedlings and been spritzing the pots every six hours or so. Even though the VPD is way up there, but this doesn't seem to harm the little ones.
    1709483952582 _small.jpg

Already there are 36 seedlings up and running...Because of the 15 pic. limit I've stitched the pictures per three together so I can show all to you 👌
    1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Day 1 - The seedlings have emerged.
  • if you still need to bump the humidity when you run out of floor space make a lil washing line between the tent pole on one side of the tent and hang your towel from that i use a spray bottle to wet it but you can also just slowly wet it with a jug works well till the plants get big enough to create their own humidity
    Thanks for that advice brother. But it looks I've got the humidity in check right now...I've installed the sensor from the other tent in-between the P9 pots at the same height as the seedlings are. This showed that both temperature and humidity are in spec.
    1709638283596 _small.jpg

I'm also calling it Day 1 today. All the seedlings have emerged from the soil even though not all of them are doing that great, but that's where the selection comes into place.
    1709637858384 _small.jpg

I5 for instance hasn't moved since the day before yesterday...So this one will be removed.
    1709637858380 _small.jpg

F4 kicked the bucket and...will also be removed.
    1709637858375 _small.jpg

The entire A row, except for A4 is going the way of the Dodo...I know, I have to be hard. I only want the best for procreation. Don't want slow sprouts in my end result :shrug:
    1709637858364 _small.jpg

F1 started off with three cotyledons but doesn't do much compared to it's siblings in the same row. I will give this one a chance and decide later this week if I'm going to keep her/him.
    1709637858360 _small.jpg

The same goes out for B5. Going to give this one a couple of days more before I make my decision. Yup, I'm a softy...
    1709637858353 _small.jpg

Finally B3 didn't surface at all...I've said it before, Darwin knows best :thumbsup:
    1709637858347 _small.jpg

And this brings me to the end of today's post.
    One more thing though. I've moved the time lapse camera into the tent, but my DIY light is blinking so hard that it creates black lines over the picture.
    I hope the TSL-2000 will arrive soon. Small bump for @Marshydro
    Y0090800 _small.JPG

Regards,

Day 3
  • Hey growers 'n blowers :toke:

Day three for my little ones and everything is going on autopilot thus far. The seedlings are receiving light 24/7 which should help in keeping them small. I know this seems contradictory, but plants use the lights out period to elongate their cells and so stretch faster in the dark than in the light. I also upped the light from a DLI of 12 Mole to 15 Mole. This isn't observable by eye, but my sensor does notice the little difference.

I gave the plants their first feed today with my version of the orgatrex, to where I added the bactrex bacteria. After standing for over two months the viscosity of the molasses has decreased to where it's almost like fresh cream. The awful rotten egg smell has subsided. Happy? Yes, but I didn't make it to use it as a deodorizer :stir: on the other hand, this means the bacteria are doing their thing. Luckily I made this batch with 5L of molasses so there will still be more then enough carbohydrates left to feed the soil bacteria.
    I dosed three liters of water with 15ml of the stuff and divided it over the two trays. This will give the younglings something to munch on while the bacteria colonize the soil even further.

I also removed said seedlings from day 1, so now 39 are left. I'm not counting the three from GHS as these are feminized and not suitable for breeding. :shrug:

You can't see it in the picture, as it's just a picture :haha:, but the small clip-on fan on the right side of the tent is waving these younglings from left to right. This resulted in some of the larger seedlings like I3, GH2 and C2 to drop and fall over. I propped them against their nametag for now as I don't like to use any metal wire to support them as I'm looking for healthy plants. In comparance H1 and D3, to name a few, are standing their ground and wiggle nicely under the force the fan puts on them. If they fall over and are lying on the ground again, they will have to go. Or I might repot them and place them inside the greenhouse. It might be a Sativa expression or they are male? We'll see...
    1709847977224 _small.jpg

That's about it for now as a time lapse isn't possible underneath these lights because of the flickering. I did get a refund from Aliexpress for the triacs and 4 of the DOB lights, but for one reason or another they judged that the other four lights were A-ok!! :doh: I'm not going to bother with it any further as I don't want to put any energy into something I can't change. What did change was the fact that @Marshydro is enjoying a well deserved holiday brake 🥂 but right before she left, she made me a nice offer. So you guys will have to be a bit more patient and see what comes out of the grapevines 🤞
    More about this on Monday.

Regards,

Day 6 - removal of unwanted seedlings...
  • Hey growers & blowers :toke:

The day of reconning has come upon us...That is to say, upon the unwanted seedlings. 😇
    For those of you with feeble harts...Please look away :mrgreen:

Let's begin with the situation before I started to pick the worst one's from the group. As you can see some of them are lying on their sides, these will have to go!!
    1710074843836 _small.jpg

Crooked leaves, not a good sign. Byebye 🖐️👋
    1710074843831 _small.jpg

Another with crooked leaves.
    1710074843827 _small.jpg

The smallest one of the group. When I pulled the seedling from the soil, it barely had a root system...
    1710074843822 _small.jpg

Don't have to explain why this one had to go? 🤌
    1710074843817 _small.jpg

Greenhouse Seeds #2 can't hold it's liquor... :coffee:
    1710074843811 _small.jpg

As does C4. 💥
    1710074843806 _small.jpg

I1 wasn't barely bigger then F1 so it went the way of the dodo. Although when pulling the seedling out, it had a beautiful root ball dangling below.
    Live and learn :shrug:
    1710074843800 _small.jpg

A1 doesn't look that shabby either. I know, I have to be strict :naughtystep:
    1710074843795 _small.jpg

The rest of the group...
    All were making a sigh of relief, not being culled. "Let this be a lesson for ya'll! If you're not the best, you're gone with the rest!!" 👉
    1710074843790 _small.jpg

32 seedlings have "survived" this ordeal. Two of them are GHS, so these don't count. I'm still in dubio over H4, H5, F5 and C1, as these are swaying from left to right in the breeze the fan puts out. But as long as they don't fall over I'll give 'm a chance.
    I've also went from 24/7 lights on to a more "normal" 18/6 lights on/off. This meant I had to raise the power to the lights so my DLI would still end up around 20-24 Moles. The heatpad is turned off and the extraction fan is turned up by 1% to get the temperature into spec without messing up the VPD.
    1710078220017 _small.jpg

I've also ordered 3L pots (19 cm Ø × 14,5 cm H) to transplant the seedlings in when the time is ripe. The organic soil in the greenhouse has been turned over again and is smelling sweet. Must be from all the molasses I added a while ago. I've also added about 10L rabbit manure in the mix. Looks like slow release pellets, hehe.

Anywho...That's it for today

Regards,

Day 6, Part two - Migration under TS-1000
  • Hey guys,

I'm back for a second round today...

After posting earlier today I thought to myself, "I've got 32 plants and 36 spots inside the other tent. So why not put the seedlings underneath the TS-1000." The quality of the light is way better than my DIY cob light. It uses less Wattage and doesn't produce as much heat.
    Combine that with the flickering that the COB's produce and mess up my time lapse = Easy choice :thumbsup:
    1710103362843 _small.jpg

The fan inside this tent produces quite a bit more airflow and thus the longer seedlings had to be propped by a little stake to prevent them from falling over.
    1710103362827 _small.jpg

Of course everything had to move...Sensors, humidifier and my trusty Yi action camera. With it's alternative firmware I'm able to connect to it via FTP and download the pictures it takes. I've missed watching these time lapses as they can teach you quite a lot during a grow. 👌
    1710103362834 _small.jpg

And this is the eagle eye view from that camera.
    Y0100005 _small.JPG

The value's were quickly adjusted and will be followed for the next couple of hours. Because the light doesn't produce as much heat I chose to change the 'lights out' time from 23:00-05:00h to 11:00-17:00h. I hope by doing this I can keep the temperature and humidity in spec as the hottest part of the day is during these hours. Also the plants can benefit from the extra CO² we produce as we sleep right next to that room and plants don't use CO² during their dark period.
    Oh, one more thing...The DLI calculation is hardcoded into the sensor. I haven't changed it to the new hours, so you'll have to devide by 24 and multiply by 18 to get the right value. It's a small thing and I don't know if I'm actually going to change it anytime soon...
    1710103362820 _small.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
    First time lapse.
  • Hey friends,

After a day capturing all those time lapse pictures. I've compiled a quicky for ya'll...just before going to bed.
    The dark period is compressed to 20 or so frames as watching a dark screen doesn't do anyone any good. So if you blink you might have missed it :shrug: Duration = 25 hours - 8 hours dark period, speed = 60fps. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Day 8
  • Awesome work!
    Whatever you're breeding for, the first criterion is vigor.
    If they aren't strong and health, or have anything less than excellent vigor and health, out they go.
    It's a numbers game, so the more you start the better the chance of finding that unicorn.
    Best of luck!

By the way, didn't Mandalorian Genetics (now Gnome Genetics) have a "Bobby's Widow" Auto here a few years ago?
    Thanks! I found it very hard to cull the ones I did. But sometimes we do have to be hard, no?
    We'll should get @FullDuplex in this thread, but I just saw he's not visited since November '23. Maybe @Son of Hobbes can get in touch with him?

Just a tiny piece of advise/personal opinion. For most of it I completely agree with you and for example the A3 would be an exit for me too, but some of the other with slightly twisted leaves can still turn into beautiful ladies. It could also be an environmental twist, which goes away when the plant matures..

I had this with several times, and some of these ladies that you would feel like ditching in first instance really surprised me and the team in the end (even the ones with twisted leaves to the end).. we got some super potent and ultra good looking cup winning cuts from these plants.. I will share some more info of these with you later this year ;-)
    I got the same experience @Bob's Auto's , sometimes the tiny little ones will be the best and developed like a normal plant. I would highly recommend to pollinate a tiny one with a normal one for testing and to study what the offspring can give.
    You guys are absolutely right and I apologize for culling them. :bow:
    But I do have limited space available and have to make hard choices. Like this one (F1)👇 It looks variegated
    1710266866751 _small.jpg

Compare it with it's next door neighbor... (D1)
    1710266866745 _small.jpg

The roots of F1 do look healthy though so I'm leaving it be for the moment. My new pots have arrived and when the new light I ordered arrives they will be transferred into the new pots back into the 'lying down' tent...Then I'll have to probably choose again.
    1710266866761 _small.jpg

You can't see it very well but B2 is showing the same effect on some of the leaves. Don't worry, I won't kill anyone off today :toke:
    1710266866738 _small.jpg

The last of the A group isn't looking that shaby either. It is in the corner of the tent, but still...
    1710266866678 _small.jpg

That was all of the bad today. Now, let's focus on the good! This D group is looking very nice.
    1710266866725 _small.jpg

With D1 as my favorite of this group.
    1710266866720 _small.jpg

E2 is showing some pointy behavior :eyebrows: I find this an interesting feature. Don't know if it means anything, but we'll find out together :shrug::haha:
    1710266866715 _small.jpg

This is the beauty of the tent and the furthest of all. Third node fully formed and ready to push out the fourth. :headbang:
    1710266866700 _small.jpg

Closely followed by G1. Both the D and G group are doing A-ok 👌
    1710266866693 _small.jpg

Another fine example :thumbsup:
    1710266866684 _small.jpg

Sideboob shot. 🍈🍈
    When I transplant these younglings into their final pot (3L - 19 cm Ø × 14,5 cm H) I will differ the planting depth so they all end up at the same height.
    1710266866732 _small.jpg

And to end today's post a group shot from above...Overall I'm quite content with this selection. :coffee:
    The two GHS' in the lower left corner are definitely showing their Indica side. Completely different from all the others. Is it because they are...Feminized? :fire:
    1710266866756 _small.jpg

Anywho, I bid you farewell for today and I'll be back in a couple of days with another update ánd a new time lapse.

Regards,

Last edited:
    Day 11

After the debacle of today with my order I was kinda pissed and didn't feel like posting, but the plants needed water and I had my cell phone with me, so here I am :drunks:
    Most of the plants are doing great. Don't even need the vaporizer anymore :woohoo1:
    1710525990985 _small.jpg

E1 is looking more and more variegated to me. I wondering what's your opinion on this?
    1710525990975 _small.jpg

Spock is doing fine and continues to push out pointy ear leaves... :devil:
    1710525990969 _small.jpg

D2 has one defunkt leaf on the third node. Except for that the plant is doing fine. 👌
    1710525990965 _small.jpg

B4, the one I left with the crocked leaves is looking A-ok now. So I'm glad I kept this one. 🫶
    1710525990960 _small.jpg

B1 is showing a bit of a purple hue between the nerves. Which isn't very visible on the picture, but I noticed it right away when checking out the plants.
    1710525990955 _small.jpg

These two are definitely no White Widow. I don't know what they are, except for a whole lot of Indica. If you're looking for a fair representation of the White Widow, I know where I'm not going to buy seeds ✋
    1710525990950 _small.jpg

Almost measuring time. I've read "somewhere" that special specimens could be found by looking at the internodal distance. When you can apply the golden ratio to each next internodal space, a x 1,618 = b, b x 1,618 = c and so on, It get's an extra tick on the tab.
    1710525990946 _small.jpg

And to finish today's post, here's what you've all been waiting for...Another time lapse. :welcome:
    Speed = 30fps, Duration = 108 hours. Every time the screen turns dark, is when the dark period begins. :thanks:

Regards,

Day 13
  • Hey friends :toke:

It's been thirteen days since the sprouts had emerged from the soil. And have a look at the plants now.
    1710696222665 _small.jpg

Yesterday I topped all but two plants at the fourth or fifth node, depending on how far they were. The two that didn't get topped weren't at the fourth node yet.
    1710696222694 _small.jpg

I tried to FIM the tops off, but that technique hasn't worked for me yet. So we'll just have to see what happens in the coming days.
    1710696222691 _small.jpg

This thread is just two weeks old and already has got over 1K views. I whish to thank all of you for following along :bighug:
    1710696222687 _small.jpg

The variegated is keeping up with the spots on the new leaves. And sitting right next to Spock showed me the similarity in de serrations on the leave edges. I've been searching the web for old pictures of the White Widow plant and found some interesting details. Details I'm now looking for in these plants...
    1710696222684 _small.jpg

Spock's pointy ears are the biggest in all the plants which show the pointy serrations. But unlike it's neighbor the variegated one, isn't showing the lighter spots.
    I did feel the plants were showing a bit of yellowing and because of the fact I can't repot before the light has arrived I gave the plants some water. Mixed into the water I added a teaspoon of Magnesium Sulphate, Calcium Nitrate and Monopotassium Phosphate. All three are directly absorbable by the plants, but aren't exactly "Organic".
    1710696222681 _small.jpg

Most of the plants are doing fine though. They're healthy and growing like their life depended on it.
    1710696222677 _small.jpg

When I Fimmed or Topped the plants I took each and every one of the out the tent, so they aren't in the same position as before. I also removed the vaporizer as the plants are creating the humid environment all by themselves. Removing the vaporizer also gave the plants a tiny bit more room for expanse.
    1710696222673 _small.jpg

Earlier I was discussing the leaves' serrations...well this plant looks like the old photo's I could find. The veins also run to the tips of each 'tooth', but not before deviating slightly to the 'dip' of the serrations.
    1710696222669 _small.jpg

A side shot to show the height of the canopy. Some plants are clearly growing faster and are on top of the smaller one's...For now this isn't an issue, but if the plants have reached this height in only 13 days and I have to wait another two weeks before the light arrives I think I'm screwed.
    1710696222660 _small.jpg

Today I'm not gonna run a time lapse. Have to leave in a minute to go to the vet with our dog. He started reacting drunk, shaking his head side to side an hour or two ago. The missus called the vet on call-duty for the second time as we got the advice to wait an hour and see what happens, and finally we can come by in half an hour. Whish us luck!!

Regards,

Last edited:
    Day 16

With 32 they still are, but as you've seen above, I only have space for 21 pots. So I'm about to have another selection in the coming days. And rather sooner then later as I can barely get between the plants to water them. I gave 'm a mix of dechlorinated water, my version or the orgatrex and a splash of urea. A couple of days ago I had to forgo the Organic way and water them with some Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Nitrate and Monopotassium phosphate. But then the plants are in such a small container it would be hard to feed them slow release nutrients, which would take to long to be converted. The main thing is, the plants are looking scrumptious and have a nice light green appearance.
    1710959203279 _small.jpg

My attempts to FIM the tops has failed once again. I'm better to top instead of trying to FIM as this technique isn't for me :shrug:
    1710959203272 _small.jpg

This variegated one will be removed, but I'm not going to cull it, rather give it a chance inside the greenhouse. I know, it's to cold during the night, but then this chance is more like a "if it doesn't kill us, it'll make us tronger" kind of thing.
    I will do the same with the other ten specimens that won't make it for this project...
    1710959203267 _small.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be taking the time to film each plants while trying to rotate it in front of the camera. I'll be taking measurements and do another rub test on the stems. There must of be more specimens then these four that smell like onion and white widow. I'll also be topping the plants where the FIM has failed, which will be all the plants I think :coffee2:
    Anyway, by the time I'm able to make clones from the P1's I should end up with 16 plants. These will be run at 12/12 and so put into flower. The male clones will be killed off, but not before I marked the male's in question as ♂ and the females as ♀
    1710959203262 _small.jpg

Before we end today's post, some technical information... 🤓
    We are at a DLI of 33 Mole's. With the lights on, the VPD is stable at 0.9 kPa, Temperature is in the goldilocks zone and the CO² is at a nice level 👌
    I'm quite satisfied with these values and everything is running on auto pilot.
    1710973021467 _small.jpg

Ok, and with no further ado here is the time lapse. Speed = 30fps, Duration = 126 hours. :thanks:

Regards,

Back