Ca deficiency?

I don’t know enough to start mucking about with spectrum at this point, but I’m always willing to learn. Interesting stuff for sure. What with photosystem II and the Emerson effect and especially the effects on plant morphology. I’m pretty skeptical of the benefits of UV personally, but of course I have nothing to back that up. It may add something, but they certainly do fine and produce top notch bud without it. Not saying it can’t help, just very low on the list on things I could improve.
I started using UV in 2017 and there was a noticeable improvement in the Terpene profile. My weed also got everyone higher. Now there is always the possibility that the improvements in quality were from some other change in my farming technique and skill level? The thing is I am not willing to grow now without them because well it ain't broke. :rofl:

I hate to interrupt guys but this PGR thing has me really interested now. i hope i'm not trying to steal or bothering by asking questions. is kelp a PGR? if so why is it not bad? i just need a leg to stand on in a agruement with a friend. i know it can't be too bad @Mañ'O'Green uses it and i trust him.
It has been so long since I visited the PGR controversy that I do not remember all of the factors that brought me to my decision to not use them. I first started growing for pain management but have since moved to mostly recreation :haha: Dabs you know!

Yes, Kelp does contain some naturally occurring PGRs and I use Kelp! Once again there is something about the natural occurring vs processed. You just need to do the leg work on this one because I just don't remember.

There are many ways to grow cannabis and mine is just one of them. Go forth and be fruitful :rofl: Yep I am ripped.

Curious about your experiences with UVA vs UVB, from what I've heard the potential terp/cannabanoid enhancement was from the B (or even better, the highly dangerous C.) What do you use the UVA for? Shape/morphology?

I have had a similar issue with a seedling when I fed it calmag in the past. I very rarely use calmag now. I use a small amount here and there but my leaves got burned like yours. I don’t believe it’s deficiency I believe it’s toxicity.

If kelp is wrong, I don't want to be right
Hey @Jovinn , Not that you need to hear it as it sounds like you have way more experience and knowledge then me. Here is what i found that confirms my thinking and theory with using kelp. seems legit to me and confirmed my thoughts so i stopped there. i just started using kelp so i have no experience with it but if you and MOG use it that's good enough for me.

https://www.veriheal.com/blog/what-are-plant-growth-regulators-and-how-safe-are-they/

How are PGRs Applied
PGRs can be applied or administered, in a variety of manners which include spraying the plant, drenching it through the soil, or even by ‘sprenches’ – where high volume sprays where the solution is applied to both the foliage and growing substrate, as well as soaking. Sprays are one of the most common methods of applying PGRs but without careful consideration, can lead to different results amongst crops as plants need different amounts of time to take in the active ingredients of PGRs. Another common method of applying PGRs is by mixing it into the water of the plant and then drenching the soil so that the roots may take up the substance.

Synthetic Types
When you see the words synthetic before anything, you should already be approaching with caution. Synthetic means that it was man-made using chemicals, compounds, or materials that imitate natural products. If we have learned anything at all about the difference between synthetic and organic products is that the synthetic versions are often accompanied by less effective as well as adverse or undesired side-effects. With that in mind, let’s have a look at some of the synthetic PGRs on the market:

• Paclobutrazol
  • Daminozide
  • Chlormequat Chloride
In a not-so-unexpected shift of events, these synthetic PGRs are bad for our environment. The residual PGRs in the soil and water can cause some serious damage to the fish and waterways. Additionally, growing cannabis has been known to boost biodiversity in the soil but when synthetic PGRs are used, biodiversity becomes negatively impacted.

Organic Types
As mentioned before, not all PGRs are harmful or dangerous but most of the PGRs being used are synthetic- which is dangerous and harmful. Organic PGRs such as those listed below, are naturally found in our atmosphere and are not risk or problematic to use- plus the fact that organic PGRs will boost your plant with the only extra cost being to your wallet. Wouldn’t you want to make use of a PGR that is best for your plants and for its consumers? Natural PGRs include:

• Chitosan
  • Triacontanol
  • Kelp
The reason why people are interested in PGRs is pretty obvious. Bigger buds mean more revenue. But it’s often the case that people forego safety and health in pursuit of more profit. Do not be afraid to ask and inquire about the nature of your product’s growth. Ask the questions before you run the risk of suffering the consequences to your health.

However, if you were to use an organic PGR, which may cost you more money but still bring in more clients, your cannabis plants will still benefit from being naturally boosted without the looming worry which often accommodates synthetic PGRs. These plant growth regulators are so commonly used, that the best question may not be whether PGRs are being used, but rather whether what PGR is organic or synthetic.

Hey @Jovinn , Not that you need to hear it as it sounds like you have way more experience and knowledge then me. Here is what i found that confirms my thinking and theory with using kelp. seems legit to me and confirmed my thoughts so i stopped there. i just started using kelp so i have no experience with it but if you and MOG use it that's good enough for me.

https://www.veriheal.com/blog/what-are-plant-growth-regulators-and-how-safe-are-they/

How are PGRs Applied
PGRs can be applied or administered, in a variety of manners which include spraying the plant, drenching it through the soil, or even by ‘sprenches’ – where high volume sprays where the solution is applied to both the foliage and growing substrate, as well as soaking. Sprays are one of the most common methods of applying PGRs but without careful consideration, can lead to different results amongst crops as plants need different amounts of time to take in the active ingredients of PGRs. Another common method of applying PGRs is by mixing it into the water of the plant and then drenching the soil so that the roots may take up the substance.

Synthetic Types
When you see the words synthetic before anything, you should already be approaching with caution. Synthetic means that it was man-made using chemicals, compounds, or materials that imitate natural products. If we have learned anything at all about the difference between synthetic and organic products is that the synthetic versions are often accompanied by less effective as well as adverse or undesired side-effects. With that in mind, let’s have a look at some of the synthetic PGRs on the market:

• Paclobutrazol
  • Daminozide
  • Chlormequat Chloride
In a not-so-unexpected shift of events, these synthetic PGRs are bad for our environment. The residual PGRs in the soil and water can cause some serious damage to the fish and waterways. Additionally, growing cannabis has been known to boost biodiversity in the soil but when synthetic PGRs are used, biodiversity becomes negatively impacted.

Organic Types
As mentioned before, not all PGRs are harmful or dangerous but most of the PGRs being used are synthetic- which is dangerous and harmful. Organic PGRs such as those listed below, are naturally found in our atmosphere and are not risk or problematic to use- plus the fact that organic PGRs will boost your plant with the only extra cost being to your wallet. Wouldn’t you want to make use of a PGR that is best for your plants and for its consumers? Natural PGRs include:

• Chitosan
  • Triacontanol
  • Kelp
The reason why people are interested in PGRs is pretty obvious. Bigger buds mean more revenue. But it’s often the case that people forego safety and health in pursuit of more profit. Do not be afraid to ask and inquire about the nature of your product’s growth. Ask the questions before you run the risk of suffering the consequences to your health.

However, if you were to use an organic PGR, which may cost you more money but still bring in more clients, your cannabis plants will still benefit from being naturally boosted without the looming worry which often accommodates synthetic PGRs. These plant growth regulators are so commonly used, that the best question may not be whether PGRs are being used, but rather whether what PGR is organic or synthetic.
I don't give any weight to the synthetic=bad , organic= good. Rattlesnakes are completely natural and they're terrible for you. Hell, Tobacco can be organic and it'll still give you mouth cancer. Of course some synthetic chemicals are harmful, but not necessarily. And there is NO difference between "organic" molecules and their synthetic equivalents. gibberelic acid is gibberelic acid. Just like in fertilizer. Plants don't know or care Where that nitrate group came from. I'm sure lots of people will disagree, but I personally love both natural and unnatural stuff equally. Fire, housing and toothbrushes are all very unnatural, but also fantastic. Strychnine and uranium are both natural. Also Chitosan is semi-synthetic. It's made out of chitin, from arthropod exoskeletons, but its processed.
Although I love kelp and have used it for decades, I'm actually leaving it out as I don't want Anything organic in my dwc water for bacteria to eat. Probably wouldn't be a problem, I've used it before, but it also stains your roots and I'm hypervigilant to the point of paranoia about any root discoloration, wondering "is this from root rot beginning, or is this just the kelp?" isn't that much fun.

I have had a similar issue with a seedling when I fed it calmag in the past. I very rarely use calmag now. I use a small amount here and there but my leaves got burned like yours. I don’t believe it’s deficiency I believe it’s toxicity.
Could very well be. I forgot to account for the Ca already in my water, and though only dosed calmag half strength (2.5ml, gal), with the Ca already in the fertilizer, it was probably way too much for delicate seedlings. Last time I mess with coco or calmag ever again hopefully. What's weird is that it only affected 1/3 of the plants, and one instead developed some Mg problem (deficiency, but maybe tox) when they were all same strain in same conditions. That's phenotypic variability for you I guess.

So this one has a Mg problem (according to MoG), which is probably from the cal mag debacle. The rest have outgrown whatever was hurting them.
Deficiency or tox (going with deficit) and anyone think I should spray it with epsom salt? I don’t want to mess with the res as it’s only this one...Any ideas?

Attachments

• 9F66D8B8-CFFF-471C-BA5D-4E52327C8498.jpeg
    9F66D8B8-CFFF-471C-BA5D-4E52327C8498.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 66
  • 977E315E-5471-485E-ABB7-0F523AEA5173.jpeg
    977E315E-5471-485E-ABB7-0F523AEA5173.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 65
Maybe I just cannot see it with your grow lights turned on but I would do nothing at this point. I just don't see a big problem here.

Back