Ca deficiency?

Ok. There’s a definite lack of chlorophyll in patches but almost exclusively on older leaves and it’s probably a good idea to just leave it alone. I’m not one to constantly mess with things, often it just ends up making it worse. It’ll either recover and outgrow it, or it won’t. Ce la vie.
Thanks.

Here’s a (hopefully) better picture, just for fun

Attachments

• FA41CA31-2810-4DB6-AF8A-BADD6811C5D6.jpeg
    FA41CA31-2810-4DB6-AF8A-BADD6811C5D6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • 7B6A6993-B777-4D11-A724-F60C6490ECFA.jpeg
    7B6A6993-B777-4D11-A724-F60C6490ECFA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
And btw, my tap water is actually only 70 ppm (pretty good!) so around a hundred less than I had stated. Still, shoulda left the calmag alone. And coco. I don’t really see the advantage over just perlite/vermiculite mix, maybe just less messy. But the cation exchange just seems more hassle than it’s worth. At least for me. Technically peat/perlite would be hydroponic too as the medium doesn’t add any nutrients. Guess just whatever you’re used too, though I definitely want to experience the magic of fabric pots for outdoors.

CaliMagic with AN pH perfect?
So I know it’s not recommended to mix brands, but calmag seems pretty standardized, and I’m back to being SURE I have Ca deficiency. I switched to AN ph perfect 2 weeks ago, so I’m assuming it’s not a ph problem (although it HAS gotten as high as 7.2 , which I was very nonplussed to see, but they claim it’s ok..) heavy defoliation has caused it to affect newer leaves and now that they’re flowering, I am less cavalier about leaf loss. Anyone use GH CaliMagic with ph Perfect? Any advice?

I know AN have their own CalMag Xtra. I don't know if it interacts better or not. It's apparently "extra" due to the iron but, seriously very little.

for easy comparison here is the label stuff:

It's listed as 4-0-0

N 4%
Ca 3.2%
Mg 1.1%
Fe 0.09%
Mn 0.05%
Zn 0.05%

And from Man-O-Green - ideal ppm targets:

target ppm

N: 100-250
P: 50-80
K: 100-300
Ca: 100-200
S: 40-100
Mg: 50-75

I know AN have their own CalMag Xtra. I don't know if it interacts better or not. It's apparently "extra" due to the iron but, seriously very little.

for easy comparison here is the label stuff:

It's listed as 4-0-0

N 4%
Ca 3.2%
Mg 1.1%
Fe 0.09%
Mn 0.05%
Zn 0.05%

And from Man-O-Green - ideal ppm targets:

target ppm

N: 100-250
P: 50-80
K: 100-300
Ca: 100-200
S: 40-100
Mg: 50-75
Those numbers are from different scales and do not equate.

I mean this is textbook Ca deficiency, and I’m using half strength ph perfect in dwc so it’s not salt buildup, ph swings or anything else that could be locking it out. There’s claims that LEDs can cause plants to want more calcium, though I’ve yet to hear a reasonable explanation. It’s weird, but it seems like I and every grower I knew never added or had Ca issues until coco, and then it was responsible for everything. Were we all just blissfully ignorant? Maybe, but I’ve never had a calcium problem until this grow. Over 20 years, on and off. Never a calcium problem, and I only used it in coco, but hardly ever used coco. I’m just going to go full strength (5ml/gal) on the calmag with 8,8,8 ml/gal m,g,b. Hope for the best.

Attachments

• CD3B8CB2-0539-4781-998D-E5D333A20DB1.jpeg
    CD3B8CB2-0539-4781-998D-E5D333A20DB1.jpeg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 57
You keep saying it is not the PH - What is the PH in the reservoir using a good calibrated meter? What is the EC?

Are you feeding a balanced schedule? What schedule are you using?

Well, I'm only repeating the hype Advanced Nutrients sold me on about the ph. I was absolutely having huge ph swings before. Using a calibrated bluelab ph pen, my ph is going in at 6.5, drifting up to 7.0, which I know is not ideal, but the magic of chelates and buffers and blah,blah,blah. No point using ph perfect and trying to adjust the ph. Before, using Flora I was getting truly hammered with ph drops. Starting at 5.9, drifting to as low as 4.5 in 8 hours! Which believe me, I know is a problem. I'd bring it back to 6, but over 4 hours in an attempt to lessen the shock. Tds starts 700 ppm, dropping to 550 overnight. Gets as low as 380 (yikes), topped up with either full or half strength nutes, mixed according to manufacturers directions (other than being half strength (8ml/gal)). Reservoir changed at least weekly, and i know i should do it once ive added back half the water (even that is pushing it) but that only takes 2 days, and im not changing it every 2 days. Just not happening. AN says equal parts Micro Grow & Bloom. Doesn't seem right to me, but I figure they know better than I do. Previously, I'd blame most of my issues on ph swings. I'm going to put these nutes to the test and hope they live up to half the hype. Generally I aim for 5.9 in veg, 6.1 in flower, but let it drift from 5.5 to 6.5, then bring back to 6.0 But this overloaded dwc is basically unmanageable otherwise. I'm dedicated, but I can't stay home 24/7 to monitor ph. I definitely bit off a lot to chew with this rdwc and leds. Growth is phenomenal, but soooo touchy.

Those numbers are from different scales and do not equate.
Yep. I just had the bottle of the CM Xtra and a cut paste of your ppm ranges. Poorly constructed post on my part.

Back