Ca deficiency?

CaliMagic with AN pH perfect?
  • So I know it’s not recommended to mix brands, but calmag seems pretty standardized, and I’m back to being SURE I have Ca deficiency. I switched to AN ph perfect 2 weeks ago, so I’m assuming it’s not a ph problem (although it HAS gotten as high as 7.2 , which I was very nonplussed to see, but they claim it’s ok..) heavy defoliation has caused it to affect newer leaves and now that they’re flowering, I am less cavalier about leaf loss. Anyone use GH CaliMagic with ph Perfect? Any advice?

Aha!
  • Well, after listening to the podcast with David from Green Sunshine, its obviously light stress. Never had a fucking calcium problem from the beginning (maybe the light stress messed with the Ca, which is why it looks just like it?). Which makes sense. I'm not using coco or RO water, I've never needed calcium in twenty years. Now all of a sudden? NO. It's because this is my first go with LEDs. It wasn't light "burn", maybe not phototoxicity, but absolutely, positively light stress. Not bleached, but with the lights on 22 hrs, I obviously blew past my DLI. Being from the world of HID, I've never been able to light stress a plant. Clearly leds deserve a bit more respect and care. The symptoms:
    1: psuedo nute burn (which I was getting at like 350 ppm, and only on upper leaves. Made no sense, because it Wasn't over fertilization.)
    2: yellowing. Which again was baffling, as it looked like N def, but then with tip burn?
    3: spotting: which looks Exactly like CA deficiency.
    Which was my original question.
    And so now, the thrilling conclusion...... NO. It was NOT a Ca deficiency. It was TOO MUCH LIGHT. I believe when Man O Green shot that down, he was correct in that it wasn't Toxicity, just stress. The INTENSITY wasn't harmful, the total amount was excessive. I'm guessing that all that light causes it to grow until it hits some Minimum (perhaps calcium? Thus the spotting?), then suffers deficiency. Also explains the reduction of symptoms following the increase in Co2. All makes sense finally. This grow is probably a wash, but at least I'll be able to make a bunch of rope! :) Not sure if the awesome power of dwc helped them cope, or stressed them even more.But:
    For next time:
    1) DWC with pH perfect. I am addicted to the incredible performance of dwc. The pH swings were killing me. Hopefully this will at least help.
    2) space them Way, way out, and top. I don't know what I was thinking, trying to cram 9 plants in a 4x4 footprint. Dumb.
    3) respect the DLI. I've never in my life had More light than I could use. I was warned, but now that I've been personally bitten on the ass I will be ever vigilant for the signs of light stress. Although I have Co2, I don't use a dehumidifier, so I can choose high vpd or high Co2. I went with vpd. Should have reduced the light as well.
    4) auto flowers are pretty awesome. Despite all my blunders, I'm very impressed. I can just imagine if I hadn't gotten in the way.
    5) Never again bother with calcium. All I need is already in the nutes and tap water. Total red herring.
    Well, problem solved! Thanks everyone for your input, and I hope this can help someone else. The take away: if you get spotting that kinda looks like Ca deficiency, and you're not using coco or RO, it's PROBABLY NOT CA deficiency. Could be too much light. Nice problem to have, once you're aware of it.

Back