Cali Strains

About Mephisto, what I found very interesting and professional ( from a botanical point of view also) is the genealogy of the plant.
The history and origins.

And particularly the way they circulate.
When GG#4 was selected...how this move by hands
"Cuts" are clones. The clones are grown into mother plants. Cuttings are taken from the mother plants and either traded or sold. You can mail clones within the US these days. Huge industry, with some cuts going for thousands of $

Dear all,

I am posting here hoping is the correct place.

I was wondering if someone could help me to figure it out the best breeders or seedsbank with the famous/original Cali strains like:

Blue Dream
Gorilla glue
Gelato
Sour diesel
Girl scout cookies
Zkittlez
Purple punch
Runtz
Chemdawg

At the moment I could find only few things with Seedstockers, sensi seed maybe? Barney's farm??(ummm)

Any help would be much appreciated:)

Thanks

A
Check out ilgm. Idk if humboldt is still around but they had a lot of cali strains too. Ilgm is I love growing marijuana. Just check out us seed banks, odds are they have mostly cali beans

Much strain 'history' (particularly as strains get older) seems more like grower/breeder and cannabis subculture myths being spun.

Someday when "strains" have been fully characterized and genetically sequenced, we will actually be able to define, ultimately seed-by-seed, what qualifies as each type of strain or not. Until then, defining/differentiating strains looks to be very subjective, with "strains" often defined/discussed based on persons' memories of appearance/phenotype and effects.

Look up Kevin Jodrey on you tube. You can find several interviews with him. He’s been in the industry since the early days. Lots of info on the early genetics. He’s got some great stories too.

JP1 said it, cuts are clones. With photoperiod plants, you have one mother plant and take cuttings and root them and then flower those. Always using the same mother plant, so your bud is always exactly the same, cause it’s the same plant. If I give a clone/cut to you, you grow that out to be your own mother plant. All of your clones will also be identical to all of mine, as it’s still the same plant. Things can pretty much be passed on indefinitely that way, and that’s how they originally moved around, hand to hand.

Last edited:
Look up Kevin Jodrey on you tube. You can find several interviews with him. He’s been in the industry since the early days. Lots of info on the early genetics. He’s got some great stories too.

JP1 said it, cuts are clones. With photoperiod plants, you have one mother plant and take cuttings and root them and then flower those. Always using the same mother plant, so your bud is always exactly the same, cause it’s the same plant. If I give a clone/cut to you, you grow that out to be your own mother plant. All of your clones will also be identical to all of mine, as it’s still the same plant. Things can pretty much be passed on indefinitely that way, and that’s how they originally moved around, hand to hand.
Does such cloning based on cuttings eventually result in loss of 'hybrid vigor,' phenotypic consistency, etc.? Wouldn't it be better to say cryogenically preserve seeds for decades (can this be done with cannabis?).

Does such cloning based on cuttings eventually result in loss of 'hybrid vigor,' phenotypic consistency, etc.? Wouldn't it be better to say cryogenically preserve seeds for decades (can this be done with cannabis?).
There is no loss. This is due to it being the same plant. 10 years from now, provided you do your part, a mother plant will still be giving the exact same cuts as it did when first cloned.

The difference is with seed, you get differences between seeds genetically. Like I said earlier, think sisters here.
Cloning is like if I could cut off your hand and grow a whole new you… genetically you can not tell the difference, one is the other, and the other is the one.

There is a big difference between the market and what we grow for ourselves and friends. For market, every time you buy a product it needs to be exactly the same as the one you bought last week, last month, last year. The vast majority of autos cannot make it here. There is too much strain variation seed to seed.
Cloning removes this issue because the plant this run is the same plant as last run same as before that and before that. It gives consistency.

Am going to toss a grenade on this here…

If I give you a cut of “the bomb”. And you grow differently than I do, ie different soil, coco, hydro… lighting, environment… they’ll end up different.

All of these things also go into the mix for flavors and terps… not at the level of genetics, but they play a part.

So we could grow the same cut and have them end up different in the end.

Here’s an example.

Several grows in the Napa valley area are easy to spot taste wise..There is an underlying smell/ taste to their strains. It comes from using the wine grape waste in their soils. You won’t find that in the soil mix in say Colorado. Any strain grown by them will have the underlying note.

I look at it as a different artists interpretation of the original.

Someone could say that in the '80 there were few strains, while today we have hundred, which maybe more than strain are phenotypes of the old few strains:)

There is no loss. This is due to it being the same plant. 10 years from now, provided you do your part, a mother plant will still be giving the exact same cuts as it did when first cloned.

The difference is with seed, you get differences between seeds genetically. Like I said earlier, think sisters here.
Cloning is like if I could cut off your hand and grow a whole new you… genetically you can not tell the difference, one is the other, and the other is the one.

There is a big difference between the market and what we grow for ourselves and friends. For market, every time you buy a product it needs to be exactly the same as the one you bought last week, last month, last year. The vast majority of autos cannot make it here. There is too much strain variation seed to seed.
Cloning removes this issue because the plant this run is the same plant as last run same as before that and before that. It gives consistency.

Back