Calling all Tomato growers

hecno

Worm Hunter .
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Reaction score
I love Tomatoes , The ones store bought are a joke , The season to start is here , Now me and some other local lads have a bit of comp going , as we do each year for the biggest tomato , we do it 2 ways - biggest Black Russian and biggest other - I got the Biggest Black Russian [ 470 grams ] Other - Beef Steak [ 460 grams ] winning one [ Other ] that one of the other lads grew went 530 gram Sooo that is what I have to beat , and as you know all is fair in love and war :smokeit:So I started off with secret tomato seedling soil mix , and have them in the grow room , soon as they got true leaf's I transplanted into bigger pots with most of the stem under soil , I will be out of the country for 2 weeks so it will be water only so my son can do it for me when I am away , They will go into 27 liter pots and I will have them at work so they can get all day sun , With the 27 liter post it will be secret soil 2 .
DSC_0001.JPG

Repotted
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

You will see in the photo pots with out little sticks in them , The will get worm mud tea which will bubble for 8 hours . :mrgreen:
DSC_0003.JPG
So any one interested least see what AFN tomato grows can do , Just post here , I will update in 2 weeks time . :thumbsup::vibe:

I love Tomatoes , The ones store bought are a joke , The season to start is here , Now me and some other local lads have a bit of comp going , as we do each year for the biggest tomato , we do it 2 ways - biggest Black Russian and biggest other - I got the Biggest Black Russian [ 470 grams ] Other - Beef Steak [ 460 grams ] winning one [ Other ] that one of the other lads grew went 530 gram Sooo that is what I have to beat , and as you know all is fair in love and war :smokeit:So I started off with secret tomato seedling soil mix , and have them in the grow room , soon as they got true leaf's I transplanted into bigger pots with most of the stem under soil , I will be out of the country for 2 weeks so it will be water only so my son can do it for me when I am away , They will go into 27 liter pots and I will have them at work so they can get all day sun , With the 27 liter post it will be secret soil 2 . View attachment 1672825
Repotted
View attachment 1672826View attachment 1672827
You will see in the photo pots with out little sticks in them , The will get worm mud tea which will bubble for 8 hours . :mrgreen:
View attachment 1672829So any one interested least see what AFN tomato grows can do , Just post here , I will update in 2 weeks time . :thumbsup::vibe:
I also have some tomato seedlings, BUT I dont get enough sunlight on my East/West balconies so only grow them for fillers they look good when they flower, the bees seem to like them and they start growing fruit, but not many make it to ripening, those that do are sweet as apples.... I drop a half dozen seeds in a jiffy and then let nature take its course.

2024-03-22-07-33-52-977.jpg 2024-03-22-07-33-46-236.jpg
2024-03-22-07-33-39-234.jpg 2024-03-22-07-33-32-827.jpg

I bought a San Marzano a week or so ago. Have it under the lights with my patio container plants. Last expected frost is Apr 16th. I have a 20 gal pot I’ll put her in out in full sun. My mom grew some last summer and canned some delicious salsa and sauce.

IMG_0485.jpeg

@Corum59 @Rick Dirte' Good on ya guys , Looking good , Corrum59 can you keep us posted on how you are going . you to Rich Dirte' . It will be good to see how others grow . One thing I am going to start doing again is to save seeds to grow the following year , it helps getting them acclimatized to my area . ;
1711135348029.png

@Corum59 @Rick Dirte' Good on ya guys , Looking good , Corrum59 can you keep us posted on how you are going . you to Rich Dirte' . It will be good to see how others grow . One thing I am going to start doing again is to save seeds to grow the following year , it helps getting them acclimatized to my area . ;
View attachment 1672984
will try to update, although there may be a cold spell coming... and you know tomato's and the cold.... still, I have lots of seeds.

This year is my first time starting Tomatoes and Peppers from seed indoors. Started way too early, and just planted a second round of seeds to have some starts to give away/replace any I might lose to cold and/or pests.
1000004260.jpg
1000004261.jpg
1000004264.jpg

Heres this years selections, ay least so far
1000004265.jpg
1000004266.jpg

Just finishing tomatoe season here in NZ. I always do a couple of beefsteaks and this season, up a teddy bears butt, I snuck in an amazing dark blue tomatoe variety from Baker Creek seeds, bred in Belgium, called Sart Rolaise, it is a beefsteak style with a slight pineapple flavour. Real good.
I have lots of heritage orange tomatoe varieties from NZ if you are after any. They are really nice and bred by a heritage vegetable trust to have high lycopene and flavanoids.

IMG_20240404_130448_114.jpg

I recycle the dish washing water and let nature take it's course..... :watering: ... see them in the pot with the self seeded nasturtiums...?

Obviously.. the seed must come off some we have eaten....:biggrin:.. they tend to be cherry tomatoes... but hey... lucky dip...

My tomatoes much prefer growing Feral...than when I look after them.....wise plants.....

#HappyFriday .... :bighug:

:biggrin:

Back