Calling all Tomato growers

Weather has been dismal... but today the sun is out...
my struggling Tomto's are still there, so there is that.
IMG_20240412_113729.jpg IMG_20240412_113722.jpg

IMG_20240412_113713.jpg IMG_20240412_113702.jpg

Repotted today and picked 2 of each , the others are going to a mate and due to more heavy rain coming I will put them back into the grow room and I have also decided to go with 60 ltr pots , :thumbsup:
Big Beef .
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

Black Russian
IMG_0002.JPG

I also planted deeper with taking some leaf's off and flower heads , I am aiming for a good foundation of roots .

Last edited:
Beautiful looking tomato. Might pick these up next year, too many varieties already.
The flavour is as good as the look.
Repotted today and picked 2 of each , the others are going to a mate and due to more heavy rain coming I will put them back into the grow room and I have also decided to go with 60 ltr pots , :thumbsup:
Big Beef .
View attachment 1676972View attachment 1676973
Black Russian
View attachment 1676974
I also planted deeper with taking some leaf's off and flower heads , I am aiming for a good foundation of roots .
Hecno, can you grow tomatoes outside all year round in the region you in?

Tomato plant is looking pretty sad, I’ve been late on watering the last few days. But the tomatoes are ripening :biggrin:
IMG_3439.jpeg
IMG_3438.jpeg

@Serious Home Breeder Yes we can grow all year round , But and it is a big - But - it depends on the wet season as in how much rain we get , I have given up trying big fruit tomatoes , 2 factors come in to play , first is the rain , even with well drained soil - second is light hours , [ cloudy days ] The little cherry tomatoes are the best , the yield will will not be as big , but they are tough buggers , only thing I found is the fruit is not as tasty . Now this year the wet season ends 30 th April and so far we have had around 2.8 meters of rain , even the outdoor weed growers have had a very hard time . :thumbsup:

I’m really glad I found this thread :joy: We love tomatoes and many other vegetables as well. Since I built my small greenhouse out back I’ve been experimenting with numerous vegetables and fruits. My tomatoes last year all died with the end rot. My cabbage got eaten by worms :help:
I’m determined to give it a good try this year and have numerous types growing at the moment. I’ve been starting them inside the grow room on racks led lights. I wrapped one rack in panda film and attached some cheaper flat panel LEDs with zip ties. It works really well. Solo cups starting out and then into 1gal nursery pots. We moved a bunch to the greenhouse a couple weeks ago.

I have Roma , Super Beef Steak, a couple store bought experiments and most recently I started some Mortgage Lifters. I’m doing most of them in soil, but will be trying 1 in DWC and a couple in Kratky method too. Numerous other vegetables, fruits and flowers. We’re building some garden beds this week and trellises for the climbers.
We have a bunch of cucumber, various peppers, squash, potatoes, Sweet Pea
Flowers, black pepper, watermelon, cantaloupe, tons of strawberries , raspberries, grapes and even have a couple Luffa plants going.
Here’s a few photos of my adventures so far.

Moving to 1gal pots and into greenhouse.
IMG_1521.jpeg
TC_00567.jpeg

Here you can see the cheap LED panels that have timers.
CB278B10-3033-4A43-91AF-00AC5A0E34ED.jpeg

Mortgage Lifter in a Hydrobucket DWC
TC_00579.jpeg

This one is a store bought experiment.
IMG_1617.jpeg

DWC cuke in a blacked out mason jar
IMG_1635.jpeg
IMG_1251.jpeg

Cuke roots
IMG_1636.jpeg

Last edited:
G;Day all , here are my toms at 4 1/2 weeks , The 2 front ones are the Black Russians and the back 2 are the Big Beef . Last watering was with a micro tea , and a little bit of my home made Fish Hydrolysate , the plants have been flowering but I have been taking the buds off , I am not after fruit yet as they will be transplanted into there final pot and home on the weekend , The weather has changed so there will be a lot more sun . Also they will get a bit more trimming . :vibe:
IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG

Back