Calling all Tomato growers

oh yes, we do like tomatoes and Baker Creek! One of my fave orange tomato is Woodle Orange. BlackPrince and Cherokee Purple (or is that purple cherokee?) If i can get it to grow and finish, there's a gold siberian that i like. Most all of them end up getting cooked down for sauce, cuz we tend to grow so many, but gotta love those mater samwiches. We have been growing a cherry type on a wooden trellis in a south-facing window, now that the sun is higher in the sky, i was afraid that it wouldn't get enough sun, as the wooden trellis makes a lot of shade, but it's doing great, have had a couple of handfuls of ripe ones, and it's still loaded with greenies. For the cherry grow, we squished one little tomato into the top of a quart container, covered the seeds a little, and let them fill the container. When big enough, i just gave them a huge container, didn't even separate the roots, just plunked them in. They are now way taller than i am.

I also have some tomato seedlings, BUT I dont get enough sunlight on my East/West balconies so only grow them for fillers they look good when they flower, the bees seem to like them and they start growing fruit, but not many make it to ripening, those that do are sweet as apples.... I drop a half dozen seeds in a jiffy and then let nature take its course.

View attachment 1672842 View attachment 1672843
View attachment 1672844 View attachment 1672846
nothing but rain since I put them out and quite cold too... but today there is a yellow ball in the sky, so maybe they will make it... but they have struggled in rain rain rain... March/April is a little early, but one has to try.

the good thing is, I can always plant some more.

IMG_20240406_101006.jpg IMG_20240406_100956.jpg

IMG_20240406_100929.jpg IMG_20240406_100924.jpg

Last edited:
We started some seeds a few weeks ago. Got tomato’s, peppers, cucumbers, flowers, and a yellow wax bean.

We planted some artisan bumble bee cherry tomatoes (indeterminate), Patio choice yellow cherry (determinate) and Cherokee purple heirlooms (indeterminate). All growing inside with sunlight and some supplemental terrarium light. They all seem to be happy but a little lanky. These are the most starts we’ve ever done from seed. Last frost date here is the 15th. Will be putting most of these in raised beds and in ground.
IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3383.jpeg

The yellow wax bean needs transplanting (just started hardening it off yesterday)
IMG_3384.jpeg

I’m excited to keep up with this thread. The wife and I love growing all plants. Looking forward to see what y’all can do with some tomaters. :smokeout:

Awesome thread, Nothing beats growing your own tomatoes 🍅
20240406_162937.jpg

I've decided to grow less and clone more this year.

I've got Cherokee Carbon on top
Black Prince on bottom

Thinking I'll cull my smallest Black Prince

I've got several tomatoes and peppers, which are in dire need of a transplant.
Think I'll be repotting them into 3.5L pots tomorrow. I'll take some pictures to show :toke:

I didn’t count this tomato since it’s been growing in a cushy tent next to the autos. Putting out all its fruit now. Waiting for it to ripen. It’s the patio choice yellow.
IMG_3389.jpeg

I put my tomatoe out today. Had been sitting on a table in my garage with some patio container plants, under some fluorescent bulbs and a couple HLG 100Rs.
I bought it a little over two weeks ago.

I added some ewc and Blue Ribbon compost to the soil in the pot. Also threw in some sweet lime, neem cake, insect frass and Down to Earth Bio Fish.

I removed all lower branches and planted sideways like I always have. We’ll see how she goes.
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0542.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
up up and away , end of week 4,
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
Black Russian and Big Beef , I am part of a small group that has a bit of a comp each year to see who can grow the biggest tomato , I have grown a 470 gram one which I thought I would win on , But no , last one to be weighed went 530 gram [ Bugger him ] These plants will end up at work where I have a spot for them that gets sun all day , As i am going for weight , volume is not a issue , so I will be trying some things out and it will be 4 plants , two of the best of each , I will be using a soil I made for them and planting in 60 lt pots , also my son did a good job looking after them in the grow tent while I was away , :thumbsup: Ps any hints on growing large tomatoes . All's fair in love and war . :mrgreen:

up up and away , end of week 4, View attachment 1676522View attachment 1676523View attachment 1676524View attachment 1676525View attachment 1676526View attachment 1676527Black Russian and Big Beef , I am part of a small group that has a bit of a comp each year to see who can grow the biggest tomato , I have grown a 470 gram one which I thought I would win on , But no , last one to be weighed went 530 gram [ Bugger him ] These plants will end up at work where I have a spot for them that gets sun all day , As i am going for weight , volume is not a issue , so I will be trying some things out and it will be 4 plants , two of the best of each , I will be using a soil I made for them and planting in 60 lt pots , also my son did a good job looking after them in the grow tent while I was away , :thumbsup: Ps any hints on growing large tomatoes . All's fair in love and war . :mrgreen:
This season I used weekly Calcium foliars (I use an amino chelated organic calcium) as soon as they are flowering then potassium foliars during fruitset onwards.
The calcium is superb for blossom end rot prevention. K good for flavour and size

Back