Calling out bad Autoflower genetics/actors

some people are only happy when they are unhappy about something..

:headbang: My hubby said to me....what you don't understand is.....I Enjoy Moaning.............:pass:...I Wish I'd known that Before I married him.......:crying:

{If moaning was a Sport......he's make the Olympics......:pass:...]

some people are only happy when they are unhappy about something..

Reminded me of this...

Curious if y'all have noticed seed size having an affect on how it grows? Just noticed one small seed that grew about an inch and has just stayed like that. Just received a 7 pack of some DP seeds and 6 of them are no bigger than the diameter of a tooth pick

Curious if y'all have noticed seed size having an affect on how it grows? Just noticed one small seed that grew about an inch and has just stayed like that. Just received a 7 pack of some DP seeds and 6 of them are no bigger than the diameter of a tooth pick

I've had some pretty small seeds over the years and they usually impress me. Last one recently was the biggest plant in the grow and I thought it was going to be stunted because the seed was so small.

We had a convo about this in chat recently @PatRatt @ItzSticky the only thing I’ve noticed with seed size is bigger seeds typically take longer to sprout. Other than that I haven’t noticed a correlation between seed size and end result.

I really don't even keep track anymore, I remember in the last grow that some were huge and some were small and it did not matter at all.

I recently planted what looked to me like the weakest seed in the batch it almost looked like it wasn't even ripe, but it ended up being exceptionally strong, so I don't pay much attention to that now. Which kinda makes sense because it's all in the genetics.

Let me start by acknowledging that I realize this could turn into a shitshow, so I have no problem having this thread closed if needed, but I can't think of a better place to post this very serious question/issue. Perhaps it's been raised before. It's certainly not new news.

So a few days ago, as Darkhorse Genetics and Night Owl spin up their Dark Owl collabs, DHG made a post about "fake autoflower breeders" on IG, which was quickly moderated into nothingness, within an hour. In that post, he said there are essentially two types of autoflower breeder/seller right now: 1. The banks using a white label or shortcut seedstock and calling it whatever... Auto Gelato, Auto Runtz, Auto Bruce Banner #3 (his point of contention, obviously), etc. and 2. Small breeders showing their work and making craft-quantity runs of true auto genetics.

I'd recently purchased a couple seed packs I was less than 100% sure on, specifically FastBuds' Auto Chemdawg (red flag in the spelling, of course) and Barney's Runtz. I asked DHG/Jason in a DM if he thought I got took, to which he replied "Yeah - don't get too upset about it but yeah".

So, here's my question: what are the collective thoughts here on less-than-100%-verified auto genetics? I know small breeders like Mephisto, Night Owl, Mando, Brother Mendel Selections, etc show or describe their breeding efforts to F4 for fems, but what about the others? Is it time to start calling out breeders (and by extension seed banks) selling fake or subpar autos, or do we continue to let new growers get ripped off and let autoflowers' reputation continue to struggle? To be honest, I'm pretty salty to have bought possibly not-real auto genetics from a very lauded seed bank, who also sells quality auto genetics.

I for one intend to at some point show my work and run this Auto Chemdawg right next to a CDLC or ideally Chemdogging, to show the phenotypical differences between those two autos, at least. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this, though. As legalization spreads and noobs roll in here and other spaces just like we did, this problem will continue to grow and the scammers will continue to profit. Just my thoughts this morning.

Anyone care to disagree? Am I missing something obvious here?

I haven't worked my way through this thread or your grow history but I'm interested to see how those two Chemdawgs look& the end result as they grow and harvest along side each other. I'm wondering because I'm looking at Linda Seed's home genetics which are relatively cheap and wondering how even those would compare to genetics from a reliable breeder. So far, I've heard decent things about Linda Seeds but it could be biased reviews since I've only seen very few bad reviews. We'll see! :)

I'd like to see breeders put out more detailed info on how they grow their stock- kind of growing medium, nutrients, amendments, lighting, temps, RH, etc. Seems to me, if they are using straight grodan cubes, salt based nutes and mh lights, my chances of "duplicating" their results with my soil based, knf nutes and led's will be nil.

I'd like to see breeders put out more detailed info on how they grow their stock- kind of growing medium, nutrients, amendments, lighting, temps, RH, etc. Seems to me, if they are using straight grodan cubes, salt based nutes and mh lights, my chances of "duplicating" their results with my soil based, knf nutes and led's will be nil.

I've never noticed a difference in seed size. I think Mephisto mentioned the lights they used on one of the seed strains awhile back? May have been Walter White? I think that was the first time I have seen a breeder mention such stuff.

But yeah, they don't mention much. I always assume that they are using 3 gal pots too, judging by their stated "seed to harvest" times.

EDIT - It's not the Walter White descriptor that mentions the lighting. Fuck if I know which one it is. I just remember it was Gavitas at a surprisingly high wattage. And something, something, biotabs? I dunno. But one of the rare instances where I saw a breeder mention the actual grow environment.

Last edited:
Back