Calling out bad Autoflower genetics/actors

one of my frustrations with this forum is people seem afraid to piss off the major companies or to stir the pot.
I am going to state it simply so people stop covering up for them. I agree bad actors and cheap breeders need to be called out.

Facts are this: Fastbuds does not take their lines past f1 almost never. almost none of their strains where ever developed past the initial run and no f4's f5's etc exist of their strains. they simply take sick genetics already made by others and then make them auto as fast as possible. with that said, i have gotten many good grows out of fastbuds strains. Zkittlez in particular is one that seems to do amazing no matter what you do to it. but i give more of the credit for how zkittlez comes out to where they got the original cuts from, not from any "work" fastbuds is doing. obv you are going to get some winners when you take amazing stuff and then convert it to auto. there is nothing original about what they are doing.
I am not saying not to purchase, just be aware that you are getting f1s almost always and something that was not selected across time. i am not knocking them although i wish they would just be honest about what they are doing and how they are doing it and their prices should reflect such.

As for anyone ever calling chefanna anything other than a hyped up basement salesman, i lose all respect. the audacity to call him a breeder???? what is wrong with you guys. All chefanna did was buy a bunch of mephisto crosses in bulk and then sprinkle pollen around. hes not even that much of a grower, to even speak his name as a breeder just makes me spit out my coca cola all over the screen. Hes his own best hype man, not much substance beyond that. He used to post and talk about all he wants to do is help people yet he has done nothing to help those in his local state get access to medicine. hes just about money and isn't even good at hiding that.

as for autoflower breeders that take their lines across multiple iterations and look for and lock in certain desirable traits, then you can look at companies like ronin, mephisto, nightowl, darkhorse etc... these strains will be stable and produce similiar results time and time again.

with that said what is the huge difference? mainly quality and less variance. also much less stress type problems like herms and foxtailing, mutations etc..

On the contrary, we have zero agreements with ANY company that is on here to sugar coat or kiss their asses. If growers aren't posting negative experiences, then maybe those experiences don't always exist? Some people are always just looking for the negative, and if it doesn't exist, they assume the worst.

We've always encouraged honesty in posting. But there's also a difference between offering constructive feedback and making comments that can be considered trolling.

I think it's a bit misplaced to blame the forum over how your fellow growers act or don't act.

I would say on AFN there a lot more people running Mephisto gear than fastbudz. Before Mephisto went to drops on Monday there was a constant panic, especially from the newbies. I run a lot of different seeds. I have ran Chef Anna, Mephisto, Roc, Nightowl, Fastbuds, twenty20, Dutch Passion, Barneys farm, Twisted Tree, Ronin, Gnome, ETC. Yes, I would there are different phenos in them all. I actually don't thinks some of the major companies get enough credit. Everybody is into boutique brands.
If fastbuds were crap I would not continue to grow them. It is not like I don't have a hundred packs of different growers' seeds. I would also say that there are a lot of people that tend to blame genetics instead of themselves when problems arise. Also, I don't know enough about fastbuds to knock them. Just because they are F1 does not mean that they are not done properly. F1 is very common in vegetable seeds. They control the parents carefully. Just be happy to live in a time with so much selection that you can grow whatever you want. Gone are the days of having to grow bagseed or something they told you was AK47.
[/QUOTE]
Bravo & well said!!

Facts are this: Fastbuds does not take their lines past f1 almost never.

Do you know....in the Canna Breeders Bible by Greg Green they tell perspective breeders Only to put F1's out for sale........ :headbang:

The Thinking behind it is.....if you work to make a good cross...the minute the first pack is Sold you are in Dangers of someone doing a straight Repro and ripping off all your hard work...

If you Put your Best cross in with another cross and sell the F1's...it makes it a Lot harder to Simply Rip Off......:yeah:

Because you put in Variety.....and that is Harder to Rip .......

They might Simply be following the Guide...:pass:

I disagree. I think AFN - as a whole - promotes transparent communications. I certainly don't give a Fiddler's F about pissing off any major companies, and those who post often I believe have the same mind set.
IMHO.

Sometime we have to Look at something the other way around.

We had a group of Testers who got non Auto content in an Auto grow.

Not just 1..the whole group......there was no margin for error.

We took the Problem back to the Vendor....and because of our feedback.....and complaints from a couple of other growers they managed to Trace it back to one particular Lot of seed.

They were over the moon we picked it up and reported back...and they replaced all the non Auto seed.

What we Ask for is Honest feedback............Good or Bad.......... :headbang:

If I grow it, like the way it grows, and enjoy the bud, I could care less how it was created. Next, 75% of commercial strains are F1. some people like to pheno hunt. 90% of the stupid ( clone only ) market are F1.
And as a long time tester here of AFN, I can assure you, I for one have never had a problem calling out poor genetics or other shoddy products
( see my review of the Pathogen Death Wand..... )
Then there is the flip side I see here in product testing, the few who seem to hate everything. to those I say, why are you growing if you already know you don't like it? some people are only happy when they are unhappy about something..

one of my frustrations with this forum is people seem afraid to piss off the major companies or to stir the pot.
I am going to state it simply so people stop covering up for them. I agree bad actors and cheap breeders need to be called out.

Facts are this: Fastbuds does not take their lines past f1 almost never. almost none of their strains where ever developed past the initial run and no f4's f5's etc exist of their strains. they simply take sick genetics already made by others and then make them auto as fast as possible. with that said, i have gotten many good grows out of fastbuds strains. Zkittlez in particular is one that seems to do amazing no matter what you do to it. but i give more of the credit for how zkittlez comes out to where they got the original cuts from, not from any "work" fastbuds is doing. obv you are going to get some winners when you take amazing stuff and then convert it to auto. there is nothing original about what they are doing.
I am not saying not to purchase, just be aware that you are getting f1s almost always and something that was not selected across time. i am not knocking them although i wish they would just be honest about what they are doing and how they are doing it and their prices should reflect such.

As for anyone ever calling chefanna anything other than a hyped up basement salesman, i lose all respect. the audacity to call him a breeder???? what is wrong with you guys. All chefanna did was buy a bunch of mephisto crosses in bulk and then sprinkle pollen around. hes not even that much of a grower, to even speak his name as a breeder just makes me spit out my coca cola all over the screen. Hes his own best hype man, not much substance beyond that. He used to post and talk about all he wants to do is help people yet he has done nothing to help those in his local state get access to medicine. hes just about money and isn't even good at hiding that.

as for autoflower breeders that take their lines across multiple iterations and look for and lock in certain desirable traits, then you can look at companies like ronin, mephisto, nightowl, darkhorse etc... these strains will be stable and produce similiar results time and time again.

with that said what is the huge difference? mainly quality and less variance. also much less stress type problems like herms and foxtailing, mutations etc..

Now I still consider myself fairly new and not well versed in the history of cannabis seeds, growing, companies, and strain lineage.

However, even if a large seed company like say FastBuds isn't as small and boutique as experienced growers would like, they do have an important place. Their pricing is quite good and they make a nice accessable product for new growers.

I have found their strains easy to grow. Nice yeild and the final product was well received . Their website has a lot of help and guides on it. Plus if they help guide new people to more research and smaller companies that is a win for us all.

Besides, how many people can't keep a houseplant alive? Let them have some easy strains for cheap.

However, even if a large seed company like say FastBuds isn't as small and boutique as experienced growers would like, they do have an important place.
Good point - well stated. I guess I'm agnostic on FB. Have had mixed results. Nevertheless many growers have produced absolute fire with FB cultivars. I guess I just get a bit pinched when FB jumps on the new strain bandwagon thing ("get me a Purple Punch stat!"- and then their white label breeders slam a PP together with some auto and roll it out) - but hey that's business. I also have a discomfort with the risk of a plant going photo on me with F1s (and as I understand it takes at least to F3 to really lock down an auto but I'm no breeder). I have limited grow space and folks who rely on me for meds so a bad grow can really set me back schedule wise.

Do you know....in the Canna Breeders Bible by Greg Green they tell perspective breeders Only to put F1's out for sale........ :headbang:

The Thinking behind it is.....if you work to make a good cross...the minute the first pack is Sold you are in Dangers of someone doing a straight Repro and ripping off all your hard work...

If you Put your Best cross in with another cross and sell the F1's...it makes it a Lot harder to Simply Rip Off......:yeah:

Because you put in Variety.....and that is Harder to Rip .......

They might Simply be following the Guide...:pass:

That's good advice.

if your strain exists in two basically-identical inbred lines, the F1 generation would probably generate the best set of seeds for that strain. In the F1 generation, seeds should all turn out very similar plants. But the F2 generation is likely to have a lot more variability and should require breeding work before the plant sold as F1 could be reliably reproduced in seeds to sell others. At least that's how I understand it.

So if I were developing a new strain, I'd do two lines and sell F1 seeds.

If you think about it you go back to photos. You start a whole pack of seeds and select the best ones to be mothers and then clone the and grow the clones out and select the best mother to keep and cut clones from. That is way different than relying on every seed being perfect and very consistent.

Back