New Grower Canna Coco goes to Mephisto’s Wedding

Getting geared up

MIAutomatic

go go coco grow grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hi all, getting my second grow journal on AFN underway! My first AFN journal for my 2022 outdoor grow is still active and going well.

3F9FF32A-36A5-4B08-96B0-FBCB2705D7E6.jpeg

The main event will be 3 x Mephisto’s Wedding and in supporting roles 1 x Double Grape and 1 x freebie(Strawberry Nuggets x LiversBX1). I am pretty excited all around for this grow. I have been waiting to try the MW since I heard it existed, DG is a favorite and this will be my third time growing it, and the SNxLBX1 sounds interesting since I enjoy Strawberry Nuggets and all of the crosses I have grown with it so far have been great.

Seeds will soak overnight and then head into their final pots in the morning. They are soaking in a mixture of 1 gallon RO with 2ml Silica, 2ml CalMag and 5ml Rhizotonic. The rest of the gallon will be used to mist the pots until seedlings are rooted and ready for their first watering.

Thanks for stopping by!

Getting setup
The tent is all ready for the seeds to drop tomorrow morning. I have been growing with Canna Coco and nutrients for a while now but I will be experimenting with smaller pots this grow. My standard has been 3 autos in 3 gallon pots in a 3 x 3 tent, but with a lot of cultivars I run into crowding issues. Going to be trying 3 x 2gal Rain Science bags for the Mephisto’s Wedding and the singles (DG & SN x LBX1) will go into 1/2gal Rain Science bags.
Setup like this:
AD40F784-76F6-4AB3-B395-DB44A6BBE7F5.jpeg

I’ll be using the whole Canna Coco line with Canna Coco Pro (bagged). I use the coco straight, no added aeration substrate. I have hard well water and use RO for all my growing. I prepare a base water that I later add nutrients to. The base water is 4ml Canna CalMal and 2 ml Dyna-Gro silica per gallon, this comes out to an EC of about 0.45. I mix this from my RO reservoir in 5 gallon batches ahead of time so the PH will stabilize before I add additional nutrients. I mostly follow the Canna coco grow guide, but at 50-60% strength for most parts, especially A, B & PK because they have such a high impact on EC.

Pots were soaked with my base water plus 15ml Rhizo per gallon. I soaked them till they just barely produced runoff. After soaking the coco gets pretty compacted so I always re-loosen the top few inches of coco before planting to make sure the seeds have a nice pocket of airy medium to root in.

Seeds dropping is 10-12 hours!

Seeds planted
All the seeds have made it into their new homes. They were planted about 3/8 inch deep then lightly covered over and the medium lightly misted. When they emerge they will be greeted by a Sun System 315 CMH with Philips 4200k bulb at about 30 inches. The light is on 24 hours right now, but I will switch it over to 18/6 sometime during the first week once the seedlings are well established.

70C96BD6-1A19-42EC-B544-E100BEE2B4AF.jpeg

Not much to look at, but now it holds potential!

Day 1
Off to a good start! All sprouts were fully up this morning. All three of the MW had broken surface by last night and the DG and SNxLBX1 were starting to poke through before I went to bed. In the past I have done some of the much fussier germination tricks, mostly with ok results. Since I switched to the overnight soak into final pot my rates have gone up and it’s just so much easier. I think getting fresh seeds directly from the breeder helps too.

I realized I omitted two things from my setup. Before filling pots I mix a small amount of DtE green sand into the coco, (2 tsp per gallon) this is the only amendment that I use in my coco. I always used it in soil, and when I switched to coco many of its properties seemed to make it a natural fit for adding to coco. It has significant amounts of Magnesium, Iron, Silica and Potassium; it also has Calcium, but at lower concentration. It has almost every micro nutrient and over 30 minerals. It’s all stuff that benefits the medium, has a very low impact on EC and is all slow release throughout the grow cycle. It’s an easy way to boost minerals and micros since coco has less of that stuff than soil and peat mixes. The second thing, when I soaked my pots I also added 3ml each of coco A & B to give the medium a light nutrient charge. That brought the EC up to about .85, a good safe range for seedlings.

For at least the next 3-4 days I’ll just be misting the top of the medium with a very mild mixture of: (per gallon)
2ml silica
2ml calmag
5 ml rhizo

They probably won’t get their first proper watering till sometime between day 5-8, I’ll just have to see how quickly they get going. This is one stage of a coco grow that trips up people new to the medium. There is so much talk about how you can’t overwater coco, but with seedlings especially without added drainage, you can definitely drown seedlings by starting fertigation too soon.

DAB1007E-CF65-4C30-8B33-9B796A7941AC.jpeg

Temps are 81-83 and humidity is 47-50%. I moved the 1/2 gal pots up on some little risers so I’ll be able to poke a hole in their drain trays so they will drain into the bigger saucer under the 3 x MW. The DLI is also lower in the corners, so elevating them a few inches above the center pots helps to even out the DLI in the corners. Looking at this picture, moving them onto the risers creates an optical illusion that makes the tiny pots look bigger than the 2 gal pots.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
Day 5
All the babies are doing well and working on their second set of leaves. I have been giving them light watering once in the morning and once at night and that seems to be maintaining good moisture levels in the medium. I have also been foliar feeding twice a day with the watering. I did foliar sprays with photo plants during veg, but got away from it and have never tried it on autos. Foliar is per gal/2ml silica, 2ml calmag, 5ml rhizo, 10ml canna start. Not sure how much of an impact it has, but it doesn’t seem to be hurting.

Plants seem well established so I am flipping them to 18/6 tonight. When they start to push their third set of leaves I’ll fertigate for the first time.

CFBBACAA-BDF2-453C-997E-B50A213812E8.jpeg

This will also be the first phase of operation Brighten the Corners. I ordered 4 led full spectrum strips, heat sinks and a 120 watt Meanwell driver.

The strips seem good, but the 120 watt driver is not quite powerful enough so I ordered a 150watt to replace it. I also first wired them in a series but discovered the first strip gets full power, but each strip after lost 25% PPFD the further it got from the driver. The first strip in the series was about 900 PPFD at a distance of 1ft and the last one was only about 220. When I get the 150 watt driver I am going to wire the strips individually using 5 way wago connectors, I think that should even out the power flow to each strip.

They are not running at the moment. Plants don’t need the extra light now, and I am just going to wait for the 150 watt driver to get here to re-wire everything. I was originally planning on building a frame to mount the heatsinks and driver on, but I kind of like the hilariously simple diy look of it. I also like being able to easily adjust each strip in case I end up with an uneven canopy.

8AC6B824-068A-45A3-A71A-9B4CFEE1E820.jpeg
3BD058BB-AB50-42FE-8CC9-26329B1C03D0.jpeg

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
Back