Grow Mediums Changing to coco coir!!!! This good brand???

InkAddict$

Green 👍 Addict$ Jonny 🍎 weed$
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
JEAN-O’S VOODOO
Ok I got some questions for all you great coco growers....my local nursery carries cyco coco pearl and coir... Is this a good brand to use and which one should I get? Also using sip buckets it says they call for peat or coco as base....so will this work in them? I'm getting tired of the issues I'm running in with soil.. so @Jerseyphresh1 put me onto Coco and I going to give it a go....if you have any tips let me know....I'm using mega crop one part and bud explosion at the moment, but switching to the 2 part A&b plus bud explosion and several npk products... That @Mañ'O'Green has on his mc auto flower 2 part feeding schedule....he grows some beasts so I'd like to give it a go....also anyone using grow dots? I've been looking at them....the idea of one application and done sounds great...just add recharge too...hmmm idk if someone can change my mind on those then maybe I'll try both....here's pics of cyco coco.....thanks
Screenshot_20220515-083111.png
Screenshot_20220515-083047.png

Hey friend,

I used the Cyco Pearl with great success. I would steer your towards that one as the perlite is already mixed in. It is prebuffered so you won't need to do anything to it.

However, I found that on the initial rinse the runoff is quite strong. I would suggest running seedling strength nutrient mix through and testing the runoff for both pH and ppm. I am not sure how strong or what EC they buffer to. I usually run 350ppm at 6.0pH nutrient mix through until I see the runoff ppms drop below 400. Has worked very well so far with seedlings. The pH of the runoff stays very very stable. Ideal for coco is 5.8-6.2, don't be worried if the early runoff sticks around 6.3, that's just the buffering. It will drop as you grow and continue to fertigate with correct pH.

Be ready to water to runoff every time. The suggested rule is 20% runoff meaning if you put in 500ml you should get 100ml of runoff. If you put in 500ml and don't get any runoff, increase the amount in until you get sufficient ml out. Baby steps. Add 100ml at a time and wait. It takes a few seconds to run through. You will eventually find out how much volume in/out you need.

Stick to 5.8-6.2pH
Never plain water, always "fertigate" - water with nutrients
Water to runoff (20% of volume in works great)
Don't let the coco dry out - Early on 1x a day or every 2 days as needed. Later? 2x a day or more

I like to catch and test my runoff. Check the ppm/EC value. pH won't be accurate but I look at that too. If your input ppm is 400 and runoff is 200ppm you can increase strength. If your input ppm is 500 and your runoff is 600+, lower your feed strength and increase volume until the runoff is back down a little bit. Make sense? These numbers are just an example. You may find your plant likes more, watch for those burnt yellow tips. Find that and back off a touch, keep your runoff ppms from going more than 300-400 over the input.

Never used the brand, but I grow in coco exclusively indoors, and usually get very good yields. If you're going to try coco, I suppose it's best to buy a premade mix and later on, if you like it, you can DIY your own mix which is what I do for a lot cheaper. YMMV.

Hey friend,

I used the Cyco Pearl with great success. I would steer your towards that one as the perlite is already mixed in. It is prebuffered so you won't need to do anything to it.

However, I found that on the initial rinse the runoff is quite strong. I would suggest running seedling strength nutrient mix through and testing the runoff for both pH and ppm. I am not sure how strong or what EC they buffer to. I usually run 350ppm at 6.0pH nutrient mix through until I see the runoff ppms drop below 400. Has worked very well so far with seedlings. The pH of the runoff stays very very stable. Ideal for coco is 5.8-6.2, don't be worried if the early runoff sticks around 6.3, that's just the buffering. It will drop as you grow and continue to fertigate with correct pH.

Be ready to water to runoff every time. The suggested rule is 20% runoff meaning if you put in 500ml you should get 100ml of runoff. If you put in 500ml and don't get any runoff, increase the amount in until you get sufficient ml out. Baby steps. Add 100ml at a time and wait. It takes a few seconds to run through. You will eventually find out how much volume in/out you need.

Stick to 5.8-6.2pH
Don't let the coco dry out - Early on 1x a day or every 2 days as needed. Later? 2x a day or more

I like to catch and test my runoff. Check the ppm/EC value. pH won't be accurate but I look at that too. If your input ppm is 400 and runoff is 200ppm you can increase strength. If your input ppm is 500 and your runoff is 600+, lower your feed strength and increase volume until the runoff is back down a little bit. Make sense? These numbers are just an example. You may find your plant likes more, watch for those burnt yellow tips. Find that and back off a touch, keep your runoff ppms from going more than 300-400 over the input.
The run off might be a problem...I'm using sip buckets???? What do I do then.... There is a res in the bottom....

Ah, you may need to change to a more standard "pot" unless you have a way to drain the SIP. Coco coir is a form of hydro growing. Airpots work great and so do RainScience grow bags. Just need to elevate them and have a tray underneath that is easy to empty

I just use fabric pots on pot elevators in saucers. Small shop vac to suck up runoff. Nothing elaborate at all. Last run was 3 plants = 42.5 oz yield. Been thinking about trying the Rain Science bags for a long time, but can't justify $40 shipped for 2, 5 gallon pots. That's with a 10% coupon code.

Ah, you may need to change to a more standard "pot" unless you have a way to drain the SIP. Coco coir is a form of hydro growing. Airpots work great and so do RainScience grow bags. Just need to elevate them and have a tray underneath that is easy to empty
Well fuck the whole point is for the plant to go down and drink out the res....maybe coco isn't the way to go with sip...might have to be a peat based soil like the HP pro mix...I got to much money and time in my sip buckets...I have 20 total....

Hey friend,

Stick to 5.8-6.2pH

Couldn't have said any of this better. Great starter tutorial @DCLXVI :d5:

I just use fabric pots on pot elevators in saucers. Small shop vac to suck up runoff. Nothing elaborate at all. Last run was 3 plants = 42.5 oz yield. Been thinking about trying the Rain Science bags for a long time, but can't justify $40 shipped for 2, 5 gallon pots. That's with a 10% coupon code.
Ya that's expensive for 2 pots....I got alot tied up in my sips...I guess I'll stick to my original plan...hp pro mix peat based.....it should work and that's what sips call for or coco coir based soil....but I can't water till run off...so I guess that's out of the question.....

Last edited:
Thanks everyone....started a thread and not even going to use coco now wtf...lol sorry....peat it is....damn I wanted to but I like these sips...super easy to water...and they grow some massive plants if done in right soils...not like what I'm using....

Back