Grow Mediums After two grows using FF, wanting to switch to Roots Organic. How do you like them?

I’m not familiar with the Roots stuff. I generally make my own. With no additives.

A bale of Mother Earth coco is about $13 shipped. Once expanded it’ll fill maybe 5-6 5 gallon pots. Then you add about 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite. But if you’re new to coco maybe just do the coco and perlite to get a feel for it.

Or maybe there’s a mix premade that is just coco and perlite? Since you’re going to be using nutes? I prefer to sort of work with a blank canvas.

Good idea, organic additives sounded good to me, especially since its already premade.

If I'm starting off by making the coco soil I'll need to buffer it?(add cal-mag to media)

I range and stagger my PH between 5.9 and 6.2. Usually right around 6.

I mix about 5 gallons at a time. That lasts a couple days depending on where the plants are. Check the PH and adjust before every feed. It usually rises while it sits. I also pretty much only use PH down, but I do have PH up on hand in case.

I was always under the impression that nutes go bad mixed-in, if left sitting for couple of days. Good to know though!

My tap water sits at about 7.4ph, I've always needed to PH down lol.
I think I'm going to start using RW this next grow so I'm sure I'll need PH up.

Good idea, organic additives sounded good to me, especially since its already premade.

If I'm starting off by making the coco soil I'll need to buffer it?(add cal-mag to media)

That's a question I don't really have an exact answer for. CalMag is overused a lot IMHO. I do water in some weak calmag solution into the pot before I put my seed in it. But in all honesty, I've never had a CalMag deficiency. I think I had a MAG deficiency once, at least it looked like it. And I don't use a lot CalMag during the grow. Maybe once every few weeks or something, just to cover my bases. That will likely depend on your nutrients though.

I was always under the impression that nutes go bad mixed-in, if left sitting for couple of days. Good to know though!

My tap water sits at about 7.4ph, I've always needed to PH down lol.
I think I'm going to start using RW this next grow so I'm sure I'll need PH up.
I mean true hydro/ autopot users have reservoirs that sit for awhile. I dunno if I'd want the nutes sitting there in the heat for a couple weeks. But I use up the 5 gallons pretty quick. During early veg 5 gallons will generally last a couple days with a couple plants. Less time in full on flower. I just use tap water. Mine sits at around 7.0 PH.

Mother Earth Coco + Perlite Mix. Thoughts?
I stopped by my local hydro store to score on some sale prices.
They had some Mother Earths70% coco and 30% perlite, so i decided to get that.
Doesn't look like they add any additional nutrients to the mix but mentions its ready to go from the bag.
Has anyone else used this Mother Earth coco perlite mixed soil?

I stopped by my local hydro store to score on some sale prices.
They had some Mother Earths70% coco and 30% perlite, so i decided to get that.
Doesn't look like they add any additional nutrients to the mix but mentions its ready to go from the bag.
Has anyone else used this Mother Earth coco perlite mixed soil?

Not exactly, but I DO use Mother Earth coco bales and then add my own Perlite, etc once it has expanded. I like their coco and it's usually at a good price, at least on the bales. I think that mix you got there will be good for you to play around with. "Ready to go" would simply mean that the medium is ready to do/ go with as you wish = no compressed bale to soak and expand, no need to mix in perlite, etc.

Thanks for stopping by again @GreenBean !
I know you mentioned not normally buffering your medium with calmag,
I wonder if I will need to for this soil?
How should I start my seedlings with feeds?
I plan on starting in root cubes and then transplanting in coco.

Thanks for stopping by again @GreenBean !
I know you mentioned not normally buffering your medium with calmag,
I wonder if I will need to for this soil?
How should I start my seedlings with feeds?
I plan on starting in root cubes and then transplanting in coco.

Once I fill my pots with the coco mix, I generally just water in my water with calmag and get the pot moist. In the meantime, I put my seed in a shot glass of water and let it soak overnight. In the morning, put my seed directly in the pot and cover it with soil and a dome and most seeds generally break ground in about 72 hours. I no longer transplant, use root cubes, jiffy pellets, etc. I feel like it’s an unnecessary step. You can transplant, I’ve done it many times with no bad effects. But for me, there’s no longer much point unless I’m growing a ton of plants. But if you’re new to it, you can balls it up. I also don’t really like cubes, rapid rooters, pellets, etc. YMMV and all that. But I would recommend going straight into your final pot.

You wanna treat coco like hydro. Its more difficult a process compared to soil imo but can produce good results if done right.
GL! :d5:

Back