• 4/20 deals rollin' in! Come bargain shop at the Autoflower Announcements & News section We're looking up the hook-up's for you peeps...holler if you find others please, win-win for all!

Lighting Cobshop.net info, questions and answers

repair them !
We can debate that. I’m all for recycling and reuse, but the new technology is far and away better and LED’s pay for themselves.
It was that bump in technology that pushed me into Autocobs 5+ years ago. Go with results, not nostalgia. You will also save a boatload on Cal-Mag.
BigSmO hasn’t been HERE since Feb22.

Perhaps, buy a 100-200 watt range quantum board and use the AutoCOBs to fill in around it.

I and many others don't seek to place quantum boards lower. The boads, just like COBs, work very well when high(er) above the canopy. Many exemplary AFN grows use quantum boards set at 6 feet or even higher.

Rather I start all my lights (e.g., HLG-300Rspec/260 watts and Spider Farmer SF-2000Pro/200 watts) and 4-6 AutoCOBs at about 1 meter/40 inches above ground/sprout level at 50%-60% strength, increase to 100% after about 2 weeks, then progressively lower all the lights (kept at same level) down to about 18-20 inches above at/after mid-bloom.

Last edited:
@Mañ'O'Green said lowering the lights has little ill effects so this round I got the cobs down to 12 inches or so.. what i like about the autocobs is the ability to have lights at different heights as I like to grow different strains at once... Im not sure what the nostalgia thing was meant to convey but im not emotionally attached to lighting...I seem to grow quite well with 5 cobs in a 4x4 and I can have them at different heights or lower them and use for sidelighting fat colas.. Right now im using 3 in a 2x4 and its alot of light... there are no shadows. Ill likely upgrade to the newer stuff once these start failing... maybe use them for supplemental lighting.. I dont use calmag anymore just molasses :biggrin:

@Mañ'O'Green said lowering the lights has little ill effects so this round I got the cobs down to 12 inches or so.. what i like about the autocobs is the ability to have lights at different heights as I like to grow different strains at once... Im not sure what the nostalgia thing was meant to convey but im not emotionally attached to lighting...I seem to grow quite well with 5 cobs in a 4x4 and I can have them at different heights or lower them and use for sidelighting fat colas.. Right now im using 3 in a 2x4 and its alot of light... there are no shadows. Ill likely upgrade to the newer stuff once these start failing... maybe use them for supplemental lighting.. I dont use calmag anymore just molasses :biggrin:
Perfect. I guess it must be the age and continuous use of my Autocobs. I still have 3 in use as well as an old blurple for the reds in my 2x4. It’s the side hustle tent, starts for friends. Can’t swing an HLG that will be enough for my 4x4 at this point. The HLG Blackwing and SF- 200watt something are in there.
Sorry if I sounded obnoxious, but it took a whole lot to convince me the Autocobs were lacking. MY nostalgia and the “ dance with the girl who brought you “thought process. I was smitten for a good long time. Kinda like a favorite breeder who just hasn’t delivered of late. Moving on was tough.
One of the last grows, 4Autocobs side by side with Blackwing 240. The difference was dramatic.
Peace.

Perhaps, buy a 100-200 watt range quantum board and use the AutoCOBs to fill in around it.

Iv got this mix going on in my 3x3 currently. 2x HLG 100Rspec backed by an autocob on each. Working well for me. Actually running a bit on the cool side.

That being said I'm looking to swap it all out for a single light to adjust height.

I was under the impression the autocobs of the last few years were 65w?

Iv got this mix going on in my 3x3 currently. 2x HLG 100Rspec backed by an autocob on each. Working well for me. Actually running a bit on the cool side.

That being said I'm looking to swap it all out for a single light to adjust height.

I was under the impression the autocobs of the last few years were 65w?

As I recall, AutoCOBs were originally 55 watts each, were upgraded a few years later.

I similarly have 1 AutoCOB either on the side or at the end of each quantum board; and this works very well to even out and further extend coverage.

se

I have up to 6 autocobs for sale if interested, they all show equal readings under the photone app..

PM me.. I just have no need for them these days.
I gave my 6 autocobs away. Pay it forward. Plus, craigslist in my area doesn't sell much at all. Been quite a while. Free items only generate a couple of replies. Bummer.

Back