Mephisto Genetics De-seeding with Mitch

mephisto

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As we are getting to that time with this latest seedrun, I thought I would journal the process for you all to see.

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401309-ds4s.jpg

Firstly is the live plant, well seeded. It's a toof decay containing limited edition seeds. This strain colours up very nicely, especially under cooler conditions due the blueberry in her. Also despite heavy feedings of N, the plant has sucked up it's last nutrient resources to feed the seeds.
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401306-ds1s.jpg

Under different lighting, you can see that she has a heavy resin coverage, and in particular she has long stalked trichomes.
Lots of trichomes for extraction (which will come later)
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401308-ds3s.jpg

Below you can see that the seeded calyx's have split, allowing a glimpse at the ripe seeds.
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401307-ds2s.jpg

Not all strains will do this when seeded, some will keep their seeds wrapped tightly, but you will usually see a colour change to a yellow then golden brown which is a great indication that the seed within is ripe. In this case you can pluck the seed out to check it's maturity. It's important (if in the grow room) to check the seed under natural lighting to really assess it's colour and appearance. It's strain dependant but dark, hard, shiny and with mottling is what we look for as indications of a high quality seed.
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401313-ds8s.jpg

It's a wise idea to check different areas of the plant, as seeds *may* have developed at slightly different rates.

Also, date when you pollinated. The minimum time we would allow is one full month running 18/6, but 5 weeks from pollination is generally the time we see ripe, nice seeds with autoflower seed making. Full plants/extremely heavily seeded plants can take slightly longer, and of course photoperiods are given a longer time allowance still.

When we are satisfied after the above steps ^ we remove any large fan leaves and chop the branches into sections but keeping them on the stalk. This goes on to brown parcel paper for drying. Our dryshelfs are the fabric mesh hanging type, with inconveniently seed sized holes :)
If the strain produces small seeds, they can slip through these holes. Mosquito/insect mesh, you can fabricate a drying rack that is more failsafe, but The brown paper works fine for us. Seeds can pop loose as the buds dry, so bare that in mind.
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401312-ds7s.jpg

Brown paper is also good, as the details can be written on straight away, and it saves potential mix ups from little bits of paper going awry.
If you are doing multiple strains, and regular and fem, you really don't want to lose track of what seeded buds are from what. As for us, non identifiable seeds = waste, and destined for the bin.

Important information is noted, which plant, pollinated with what, dates are important!
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401310-ds5s.jpg

We like to dry our seeded buds, not too quickly, and not too slowly. From when the plant is chopped the seeds still change and ripen within the buds. Too slowly and too wet inside the buds, the seeds can crack and split in preparation for germinating. You don't want that!
About 1 week at a nice constant drying environment is a good medium.

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-2-picture401311-ds6s.jpg

These are now drying - Toof decay x ghost limited edition.
I will do another live update for the next process in about a weeks time.

Cheers, Mitch!

Last edited:
How many TD x Ghost plants did you make? Once harvested, dried and packaged, how do you store your seeds? At what point do you dispose of unsold seeds? How often do you perform germination tests and what % of fails do you consider normal/acceptable?

You can send me those mystery seeds.....:cool:

Thanks Mitch!! Great tutorial and valuable information to the noob breeders! Max rep!

How many TD x Ghost plants did you make? Once harvested, dried and packaged, how do you store your seeds? At what point do you dispose of unsold seeds? How often do you perform germination tests and what % of fails do you consider normal/acceptable?

Hi man, good questions!

once dried, they are refrigerated and remain in cold storage until there's an order, we haven't had time to pre-package, they are all made to order by me.
also, they take up less space that way.
Probably we will get another fridge just for pre-packaged stock.
basically, I pick out the very best seeds to package, and as the stock depletes to a certain level it will then be time to re-make the strain.
It's not like the remaining stock is garbage, as any bad or inferior seeds are removed at the time of de-seeding then fine sorted.
The remaining seeds would be perfectly viable and grow-able, however I'm pretty fussy and only like to send the prettiest best looking seeds out.

in regards to germination testing, we typically would test 60 random seeds from a batch, and expect as close to 60 as possible to germinate, so we aim for 90% plus.
seeds can easily remain highly viable for a few years , but we would remake stock every 12 months or less.
You can send me those mystery seeds.....:cool:

Haha, we are over zealous with our labelling policies now to make sure it doesn't happen :) but if it did they would get donated to AFN before seeing the bin.

Thanks Mitch!! Great tutorial and valuable information to the noob breeders! Max rep!

no probs, just a few tips. Happy to share

here here!!

Cheers man!

Many thanks for taking us through the process, Mitch! Very helpful information for future projects!! Can't wait for the upcoming bean choices!!

No problem man, this thread isn't finished , much more to add, so think of the above as part 1 :)

Nice and interesstig Read for a Hobbybreeder like me. And another epxamle that a Seed Brand doesnt have to hide all its good work....rather educate People like You do. That Colors on that Toofdecay are insane You really make it hard to let that few Weeks till Release pass...

Nice and interesstig Read for a Hobbybreeder like me. And another epxamle that a Seed Brand doesnt have to hide all its good work....rather educate People like You do. That Colors on that Toofdecay are insane You really make it hard to let that few Weeks till Release pass...

Well, everything we do and post hopefully gives everyone a deeper insight into what we do and our day to day things.

and just think, it may be a difficult few weeks for you guys to wait, but for example the first cross for the toof decay was made in 2010/2011, that's quite a wait :)

Back