Grow Mediums Deep Water Culture Basics - Bubbleponics

Hey @Mañ'O'Green I have a question for you as I am debating doing some form of hydro. My question is about water. I see some folks run sterile and some folks us stuff like bontanicare hydrogaurd, some people do nothing.

I also have read that tap, from city water can cause issues with the hydrogaurd options, due to chlorine killing off the good bacteria in the hydrogaurd.

I know you have said just let the water sit and breathe with bubble in it to dissipate the chlorine.

I have city water and like the idea of the hydrogaurd vs running a sterile system. Will it work?

Hey @Mañ'O'Green I have a question for you as I am debating doing some form of hydro. My question is about water. I see some folks run sterile and some folks us stuff like bontanicare hydrogaurd, some people do nothing.

I also have read that tap, from city water can cause issues with the hydrogaurd options, due to chlorine killing off the good bacteria in the hydrogaurd.

I know you have said just let the water sit and breathe with bubble in it to dissipate the chlorine.

I have city water and like the idea of the hydrogaurd vs running a sterile system. Will it work?
I think that's all in preference. To me hydroguard is easy to use and beneficial so I used that myself when I grew in dwc hydro vs sterile. And I top fed recharge before I'd change each res once a week. Dont leave real growers recharge in your water if you use that but hydroguard will keep pythium (root rot) away. Trust me you dont want root rot! Recharge was just extra added bennies. I use recharge in soil and coco now and dont do hydro due to medical issues now adays. But I got a cheap ro system off ebay 4 stage for like 70 bucks to get clean water. Easy to install.

Only 60 plus tax on amazon. I replace the whole unit 1 times a year with brand new unit (filters cost as much as a new unit)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223-200922_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-200922_Chrome.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 123

It should be fine with your tap water. I can look at your water report and make suggestions. I just need to seed the "Hardness and Sanitation" sections.

You can use HydroGuard in soil also!

It should be fine with your tap water. I can look at your water report and make suggestions. I just need to seed the "Hardness and Sanitation" sections.

You can use HydroGuard in soil also!
I was looking at it earlier today.
Screenshot_20210223-184032_Drive.jpg

Only 60 plus tax on amazon. I replace the whole unit 1 times a year with brand new unit (filters cost as much as a new unit)
i keep struggling with my tap water as it is very soft (7.5-8.0pH) and very high in salts, constant 230ppm on the 0.5 scale. I like the idea of just replacing the unit yearly, but I hate the fact that it wastes 4 times as much water as it makes. Takes 25 gallons just to make five. Is there anyway around this with RO water? I did use a distiller for awhile, but it was running 24 hours a day to keep up as it takes hours to make a single gallon.

Reactions: AMG
i keep struggling with my tap water as it is very soft (7.5-8.0pH) and very high in salts, constant 230ppm on the 0.5 scale. I like the idea of just replacing the unit yearly, but I hate the fact that it wastes 4 times as much water as it makes. Takes 25 gallons just to make five. Is there anyway around this with RO water? I did use a distiller for awhile, but it was running 24 hours a day to keep up as it takes hours to make a single gallon.
Having soft water implies low salts in the 50 PPM range what you describe is hard water at 230 PPM. The PH is not part of the hardness definition.

Some RO systems are as efficient as 1:1 or two gallons to make 1. With the hardness of your water it would be hard to do better than 1:1.5 or 2.5 gallons to make 1. If you install a water softener in front of the RO system you can easily get 1:1. This is the unit I am using and it gets 1:1.5.

ScreenHunter_311 Dec. 09 11.27.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. Spring will be here soon so I most likely will go back to using rainwater. When I finally build a new house, I will pay special attention to my water setup.

Having soft water implies low salts in the 50 PPM range what you describe is hard water at 230 PPM. The PH is not part of the hardness definition.

Some RO systems are as efficient as 1:1 or two gallons to make 1. With the hardness of your water it would be hard to do better than 1:1.5 or 2.5 gallons to make 1. If you install a water softener in front of the RO system you can easily get 1:1. This is the unit I am using and it gets 1:1.5.

View attachment 1290934

Back