Grow Mediums Deep Water Culture Basics - Bubbleponics

Perfect! :thumbsup: It is paying attention to the details that makes one farmer more successful than another.
I appreciate your guys experience and the time you take to share the knowledge. Also side note; bulkheads are like $15.99 a piece and you’d still need an elbow. I decided to buy 1/2” male, 1/2” shutoff, 1/2” 90 elbow for water level and to function as easy drain, shut off the valve turn elbow 90* left for DTW. Bought pack of 8 O-Rings, placing one on every thread connection (3 Rings per shutoff/water level). Basically built 4 bulkheads under the price of one. ‍

@Mañ'O'Green hey it’s me again. Bet you regret accepting me now that I’m like an aphid, always showing up and hard to get rid of.

I’m having a pretty major issue and it may cost me half my seeds. I knew I needed either new PH up or new ppm and ph meters, after having a ph that continues to return to 6.8 against loads of ph up. So to be safe i got new PH up and down, and new meters.
Here’s the problem. The new meters come with Buffer Solution for calibration (for ph only ppm don’t seem to need or have an ability to calibrate). Well I discovered that my old ph meter was the most likely issue as it was nearly 2.2 points off! Trashed that one and using my newly calibrated one. Problem now lies with tds meters!!! Old one (seemingly trusty) is reading 200 some parts above my brand new one. What the fuck is going on here I can’t be this careful to have such a discrepancy. Recommendations?

@Mañ'O'Green hey it’s me again. Bet you regret accepting me now that I’m like an aphid, always showing up and hard to get rid of.

I’m having a pretty major issue and it may cost me half my seeds. I knew I needed either new PH up or new ppm and ph meters, after having a ph that continues to return to 6.8 against loads of ph up. So to be safe i got new PH up and down, and new meters.
Here’s the problem. The new meters come with Buffer Solution for calibration (for ph only ppm don’t seem to need or have an ability to calibrate). Well I discovered that my old ph meter was the most likely issue as it was nearly 2.2 points off! Trashed that one and using my newly calibrated one. Problem now lies with tds meters!!! Old one (seemingly trusty) is reading 200 some parts above my brand new one. What the fuck is going on here I can’t be this careful to have such a discrepancy. Recommendations?
I felt so in control this time and prepared and before I’ve even propagated it’s a burning dumpster fire

I felt so in control this time and prepared and before I’ve even propagated it’s a burning dumpster fire
@Mizzo81 any suggestions? Help a noob out. At this point I’d assume to go off of the higher ppm reading that way I don’t burn them to death. From my studies I hear under feed beats over. Sucks tho man cuz I want to be optimized not poking along 2-300 ppm under that

R they set to the same scale. 500 scale or 700 scale. I use EC (500ppmscale) I’m not a hydro expert but have some equipment.

In autopots and growpito I’m feeding a steady 1.0-1.1EC. Very low but great growth and no issues yet lol.

Yep, probably the scale the EC meter is reading in is Hanna and the old one was Truncheon. Here is a conversion chart.

ScreenHunter_260 Jun. 11 20.24.jpg

Appreciate the responses @Mañ'O'Green @Mizzo81 ; thankfully I discovered both meters can and do cycle modes but the discrepancies remained. Then to trouble shoot I poured a cold glass of water and used the temp gauge on both tds meters; aha! My old one read 80* on a cold drink so it’s shot. And come to think of it I was super ripped one night and took the cap off to measure only to not take cap off it but the top and dunked the motherboard in. Now it all makes sense. Anyways I’m gonna sit back and lite one up with friends like you guys to help. Lmao. For the record it turns out I germed my seeds in 2.5 maybe even lower PH due to unknowingly using broken ph Meter (didn’t dunk that one when hi tho). So if they survive they’re my acid queens ❤️

Thanks for this. Great advice. A couple questions.. @Mañ'O'Green and anyone else

You mention air bubbles and pump is important. I upgraded the two port pump that came with my dwc (29gph) to a Vivosun 332 gph pump. Also added two 4x2 inch stones. Is that overkill?
also regarding changing the water weekly, is it best to have a pump to drain the existing water and than add the new water to the existing pot or should I fully clean the old pot first before. Or do both.
Thanks all
Will

Thanks for this. Great advice. A couple questions.. @Mañ'O'Green and anyone else

You mention air bubbles and pump is important. I upgraded the two port pump that came with my dwc (29gph) to a Vivosun 332 gph pump. Also added two 4x2 inch stones. Is that overkill?
also regarding changing the water weekly, is it best to have a pump to drain the existing water and than add the new water to the existing pot or should I fully clean the old pot first before. Or do both.
Thanks all
Will
Yeah it has more to do with bubble size. You do not want it to be violent in the res. as that will tear-up tender roots.
Bubble size..jpg
ScreenHunter_272 Jul. 31 18.10.jpg

Your pump may be more than you need?

I have used these in the past and they were ok but I like the newer ones better:

ScreenHunter_271 Jul. 11 00.35.jpg

These cost more but smaller bubbles?

ScreenHunter_298 Sep. 08 17.33.jpg

You need a suction pump to drain the reservoir. It gets nearly impossible to move the plant when it gets big and DWC grows big plants.

This is one plant in a 5 gallon DWC and its roots.

moby1.jpgDSC00186.JPG

Last edited:
Back