Deficiency, lockout? (day 19, soil)

Reaction score
Problem: Leaf discoloration, yellowing between veins. Both plants but much more in the indica dominant 3BOG

Medium: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend (added 10% extra perlite) in 3 gal fabric pots.

Feed: CalMag plus iron with watering, 3 days ago. Stonington blend dry plant food, top dressed 1/8 cup about 5 days ago

Water: ZeroWater filtered tap water, add a bit of straight tap to about 80 TDS, 6.3 pH.
Only recently (2 waterings) started pHing water. Previous it was about 7 pH probably.

Strains: Mephisto 3BOG & Sour Stomper - both day 19 from sprout

Climate: 76-78F, RH 60-65%.

Light: Viparspectra XS1500, 150w led at 60%, 23” ht

This has been an issue from early on with the 3BOG particularly. My guess was magnesium deficiency so I recently got some Epsom salts but haven’t used any yet.

I was planning to try some LST or topping at this point, but now I’m thinking that I should just leave them alone. What do you think? (this is my first grow btw)

Attachments

• B08810D5-85E0-422B-858E-A5C5B4934B2C.jpeg
    B08810D5-85E0-422B-858E-A5C5B4934B2C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 115
  • B8A79ACC-CED3-4524-B6F3-402880F341CF.jpeg
    B8A79ACC-CED3-4524-B6F3-402880F341CF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 9CE86A86-C2E2-4BFA-A5BA-90C5839F0A45.jpeg
    9CE86A86-C2E2-4BFA-A5BA-90C5839F0A45.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Heyo bud, congrats on the first grow! Same here. Seems a bit like what I had. One thing, did you check the runoff pH and ppm? Your pH seems to have been high at the beginning, and you could have locked out some nutrients from the plant. Refer to this graph:
upload_2019-3-1_22-5-4-jpeg.1022397

If possible, check your soil pH with one of those cheap soil pH/moisture meter from the garden store. I've new to this as well, and if I can give a tip is that there is some time in reaction, what's showing up today is not necessarily because of something that happened today or yesterday... take notes, so you can refer to them.

I've been reading a lot, but I'm also on my first grow, so take my note as a help and not a true diagnose. Let the Vets handle that.

But here is what I found for you:

You could be having a Magnesium: Mg (mobile, absorbed as Mg++) deficiency.
New leafs: Are fine and looking healthy.
Old Leafs: Yellow in between the veins, tips are becoming brown/burned.

BUT that does not mean you should just pour Magnesium on it, perhaps if your pH is/or has been fixed this will go away. First, find the deficiency then find the cause, treat the cause not the sign. The cause might be straight up the deficiency, but that will give you two levels of confirmation.

Here is what dutch passion website has about treating it:

How to treat it
If pH is outside the desired range, flush your grow medium with water (preferably at pH 6 or thereabouts). Epsom salts are often used to fix the problem. Try adding a teaspoon of epsom salts to a litre of water and seeing how your plants respond to a feed. Some people benefit from water with naturally high levels of Magnesium. Try doing a google search for water analysis where you live. In many countries, water analysis has to be legally available, showing you the precise levels of trace minerals that you can typically expect to be present. But remember, water composition and pH can vary at different times of the year. Source: https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/a-visual-guide-to-cannabis-deficiencies-n987

Hope you figure this out and get it fixed. Have faith, and know that you are already doing the right thing for posting here. The people here are top-notch.

Heyo bud, congrats on the first grow! Same here. Seems a bit like what I had. One thing, did you check the runoff pH and ppm? Your pH seems to have been high at the beginning, and you could have locked out some nutrients from the plant. Refer to this graph:
upload_2019-3-1_22-5-4-jpeg.1022397

If possible, check your soil pH with one of those cheap soil pH/moisture meter from the garden store. I've new to this as well, and if I can give a tip is that there is some time in reaction, what's showing up today is not necessarily because of something that happened today or yesterday... take notes, so you can refer to them.

I've been reading a lot, but I'm also on my first grow, so take my note as a help and not a true diagnose. Let the Vets handle that.

But here is what I found for you:

You could be having a Magnesium: Mg (mobile, absorbed as Mg++) deficiency.
New leafs: Are fine and looking healthy.
Old Leafs: Yellow in between the veins, tips are becoming brown/burned.

BUT that does not mean you should just pour Magnesium on it, perhaps if your pH is/or has been fixed this will go away. First, find the deficiency then find the cause, treat the cause not the sign. The cause might be straight up the deficiency, but that will give you two levels of confirmation.

Here is what dutch passion website has about treating it:

How to treat it
If pH is outside the desired range, flush your grow medium with water (preferably at pH 6 or thereabouts). Epsom salts are often used to fix the problem. Try adding a teaspoon of epsom salts to a litre of water and seeing how your plants respond to a feed. Some people benefit from water with naturally high levels of Magnesium. Try doing a google search for water analysis where you live. In many countries, water analysis has to be legally available, showing you the precise levels of trace minerals that you can typically expect to be present. But remember, water composition and pH can vary at different times of the year. Source: https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/a-visual-guide-to-cannabis-deficiencies-n987

Hope you figure this out and get it fixed. Have faith, and know that you are already doing the right thing for posting here. The people here are top-notch.
Thanks man! Great info, extremely helpful. Really appreciate you sharing your research.

I have the same issue. Started in the same starter soil & transplanted into soil I made & used for last grow. I’m not sure why my mix worked fine for my last 2 plants & not for this one.
Day 16
38DFFE5F-F178-4214-9446-4DB5E41314C2.jpeg

No, I made enough for 2 grows/4 plants.
Ok cool. Have you been tracking your pH and ppm? You are using good soil, and they are too young to be having a nutrient deficiency. They really don't need much at this time. I would refer to check your pH and let us know.

What about your water, any change with that from your last grow?
No. Only change is the monsoon season is over which dropped the humidity from 80+ to around 20-30%.
The plant showed the symptoms in the Coast of Maine starter soil & has continued after transplant 7 days ago. I’m going to wait before making any changes & creating a bigger problem.
I don’t want to jack your thread. I’ll be watching your progress with big time interest.

Back