Do these look hungry

darknight_420

Welcome to the CannaZone
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hi all

Do these look hungry?

I've been told by a few people to ditch the biotabs as I'm starving my plants and could be on the road to disaster if I dint fix this issue.

I actually thought my plants looked lush and green but apparently they look starving and I need to ditch the idea of pumping more phosporus into her and getting the feed in her

I'm no sure what to do, I did thunk I was overwatering but I'm only giving a litre a day and she's in a 20L pot the soil always seems dry finger deep so I don't think its that.

I did feed her some bat guano Tea yesterday thinking that might help get the nitrogen in but as yet no much different.

I thinking of taking advice from others and get her on a grow and bloom nutirent and ive goy full bottles of biobizz so I'm dithering about that.

My question is never mind the deficiency issue you see on the leaves, but do my plants look hungry to you?

it really suprsies me hearing that as I thought the biotab would've been enough, im Judy not sure what's best now, wait a few days to see how the bat shit has helped or just pump some bottled nutrients in her
20230820_103005.jpg
20230820_103005.jpg
20230820_103023.jpg
20230820_085911.jpg
20230820_103207.jpg
20230820_103217.jpg
20230820_103211.jpg
20230820_103150.jpg
20230820_103112.jpg

Any advice appreciated

Are you PH ing your water? Are you using cal.mag? Looks like they could use some nitrogen fert

Hiya @namvet25

No I've no been PH my water but have checked it and today it as its been 3 days since i gave anything and soil was dirt dry on top.

My water was 7.2 so rather than add PH down I added a ml or 2 of PK5-8 and that brought it down to 6.5

I am seeing an improvement since Saturday and new growth does seem nice and dark and I'm no noticing any spots on the leaves

I'm hoping things will settle down this next week and she starts to look good again. She is day 20 today

20230822_192217.jpg
20230822_192222.jpg
20230822_192236.jpg
20230822_192242.jpg

I think from when I've spoken to you I feel you've thrown to many products into the mix I would of just kept giving them water and would of put another tab in 2 half's so each side of the pot I also wouldn't go with any more pk or silicium flash but remember I'm just going off pointers @Antonio_DutchPassion has helped me and maybe he can steer you in the right direction. Also a lot of these leaves will never look healthy again so don't expect that

Thanks @St. Tom I've been hearing alot from all quarters and biotabs say

-----
"The ladies look a bit sad, that’s true. This is for sure the beginning of a Cal-Mag deficiency, as nitrogen looks a bit different (also chlorosis, but your leaves also show necrosis).

Orgatrex contains about 1% Magnesium and not much Calcium.

Bio PK 5-8 contains about 5% Calcium and about 0,1% Magnesium.

The plants overall look hungry, I can confirm this as well.

If you have a massive plant like that in a 20l pot, it could be still hungry, but since you added BioTabs recently, the N problem should no longer be an issue.

You can already start using compost tea in flowering week 1, no problem. I personally am using it also in late VEG already. Since this a product that is rich in bacteria that colonizes P,K and Ca from organic material, the amount is not that important. More important is to do it on a regular basis.

PH adjusting also can’t be the issue since we don’t work with synthesized products. The organic material that we are using in our products, needs a healthy soil life to be able to be transported.

Just keep on feeding her water and watch the symptoms. If the symptoms are getting worse, you will have to start adding boosters sooner. Compost Tea and Bio PK 5-8 in combination should give your plant enough to be able to form proper flowers

10 weeks of flowering are a lot, if the plant is already struggling in week 1-2. I hope with the amendments that you have used now, you will be back on track soon
------

So what next.... I dont want to add calmag to my water, the ec isn't flashing on my bluelab truncheon so it's below 1ec and ph is above 7.0 If I add that trickle of PK5-8 the PH drops to 6.5 and the EC is only 0.6ec, I think if I drip feed that and keep her PH within range then the issue will fix.

I know everyone trys to help but even with all the advice I still don't know what to do because if I feed plain water the PH is going to be high and we both know using biotab you don't PH the feed and as biotab said above you don't need to but if you have cal mag issues then what the heck do you use to fix things... epsom salt? Thats the next thing to go in my amazing basket lol

Maybe I'm not understanding basics with cal and mag def and think the answer is using calmag which then in turns ruins my PH sky high

I'll leave the bad leaves just now as I was told cutting them off now whilst the plant is sad might cause more stress so to just let them die and fall off, or if things getting better then clear them off in a few weeks time

Last edited:
Why not foliar feed to correct presumed deficiencies? This is works much faster, is more direct vs. adding to soil; and you need not mess with your soil at all. Perhaps mix whatever cal-mag product you have and/or epsom salt (Mg only), ideally a N source too, optionally add some kelp/seaweed or other growth promoter; of course, with an appropriate surfactant/detergent.

Using bat guano while you are having a Ca/Mg issue (brown spots) isn't usually the best start to fixing the problems you are experiencing. instead it could even make it worse.. as far as I know bat guano is usually high in P & K and is very nice for flowering. Deficiencies can also occur because of a nutrient lockout (by an excess) or pH imbalance.

Like you say, growing with Biotabs doesn't require you to measure pH... are you using the full range of Biotabs? So Startrex, Silicium Flash, Startrex and tabs in the soil? Together with the Pk Booster and the Orgatrex it should normally be sufficient to give the plants everything they need from start to finish mate. Without causing any excesses or deficiencies.. but like always, every grow/environment is different.

I see the leaves are drooling a bit, are you absolutely sure the soil isn't too wet at the bottom? This can cause a range of visual problems as well, but looking at your plants my best guess is they received the wrong dosis of nutrients at the wrong time.. hence the burned tips (yellow/brown) and spots on the leaves. The use of a Blumat tensiometer can be a great tool to understand the moist levels in your soil btw :cooldance:

Last option, how strong is the light? Could be the PPFD level is too high for them to handle? Are you growing auto's or photoperiods? How many hours per day is the light on, how many watts and what is the efficiency of the light, and what distance is it currently?

Just a few questions to understand your situation a bit better, btw if you're still looking for an answer to the question if they look hungry? I wouldn't say so, its look like an imbalance, the tops are dark green, and there are even burned tips that gives away it probably ain't a deficiency of N. And if that would only be the case you wouldn't have all those brown spots and dying parts, but merely a lightgreen colour and big fan leaves turning yellow/dying off.

Hi all

Thanks @BII i havent foiler sprayed as shes 3wk in flower and lots if white pistils standing proud.

@Antonio_DutchPassion I don't know jow to quote so copied your text

Using bat guano while you are having a Ca/Mg issue (brown spots) isn't usually the best start to fixing the problems you are experiencing. instead it could even make it worse.. as far as I know bat guano is usually high in P & K and is very nice for flowering.

"I wasn't aware it was potentially Ca/Mg when I added the guano.. my plant is 3wk in flower and the brown spots when I researched came to a phrosporus deficiency and because I hadn't really fed anything other than water through the early stages of flower I assumed the plant needed an injection of P&K so I brewed it to a tea and fed her it"

Deficiencies can also occur because of a nutrient lockout (by an excess) or pH imbalance. Like you say, growing with Biotabs doesn't require you to measure pH...

"Thats confuses me a little because when using biotab we don't need to PH so it must be a nutrient lock out"

are you using the full range of Biotabs? So Startrex, Silicium Flash, Startrex and tabs in the soil? Together with the Pk Booster and the Orgatrex it should normally be sufficient to give the plants everything they need from start to finish mate. Without causing any excesses or deficiencies.. but like always, every grow/environment is different.

"Yes I have the whole range and because she was a clone growing in biobizz with no feeding it wasn't until she was around 5wk before I moved to a 20L pot, I probably put enough startrex, silicium, tabs etc in to last but as shes huge plant I suspect she's been using all the energy in the soil to grow which is why I popped a couple of more tabs in atound 10/7 advised off Phillip at biotabs.. also to top dress 25g of silicum flash at the same time which I did"

I see the leaves are drooling a bit, are you absolutely sure the soil isn't too wet at the bottom?

" I don't know as ice never ever given her enough water for it to come out her bottom. I was told to give 10% of plant pot volume and I give 3L so she has slightly more but ive never ever had a run off from her so don't know and because she's anchored on the floor I can't lift her pot up"

This can cause a range of visual problems as well, but looking at your plants my best guess is they received the wrong dosis of nutrients at the wrong time..

"But I only ever fed plain water in the soil and she was amazing for months then all of a sudden when I turn to flower she showed signs which makes me think again it qas phrosporus and there was none in the soil"

hence the burned tips (yellow/brown) and spots on the leaves. The use of a Blumat tensiometer can be a great tool to understand the moist levels in your soil btw :cooldance:

"I dont understand about a tension meter so will research it"

Last option, how strong is the light? Could be the PPFD level is too high for them to handle?

"1440 in centre and 860 on edge and tent is 60x90x160"

Are you growing auto's or photoperiods?

"Both but this plant is photoperiod"

How many hours per day is the light on

"12/12"

how many watts and what is the efficiency of the light, and what distance is it currently?

"I have watt set 230 and lifted light up today as its 3wk now and they stretched a little so it's about 18" above canopy"

Just a few questions to understand your situation a bit better, btw if you're still looking for an answer to the question if they look hungry? I wouldn't say so, its look like an imbalance, the tops are dark green,

"Could this be because I've finally fed them for the 1st time in 3wk giving 30ml orgatrex, prior to this I didnt give orgatrex because I wasn't using the classic strategy with biotab I was using the water only method"..

and there are even burned tips that gives away it probably ain't a deficiency of N.

"Could that not be my LED being close as it qas only around 14" above canopy during flower as I try to avoid the stretch?"

And if that would only be the case you wouldn't have all those brown spots and dying parts, but merely a lightgreen colour and big fan leaves turning yellow/dying off.

-------

Hope that answers everything you need to know

Thanks ☺

Attachments

• 1692814277628.gif
    1692814277628.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5
Back