Drying Question

wangotango321

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
It was recommended that along with snapping stem to determine if the plants are dry,I should also dry by weight.As an example I weighed one whole plant at 570 grams multiplied by .72 and then subtract that number from 570 which comes out to 160 grams.I was told this is very close to ideal moister level??? Broscience? I'm 9 days in and getting close to my target values, but stems are still not snapping.Thanks.

These are general "guidelines" vs bro science; I am unsure of weight, but do understand some folks use wet weight as a guide on when to process and cure flowers. Some use a wood moisture meter to measure the moisture content in the stem/bud; something I am interested in learning more about as it seems a more exact way to measure mositure.

Another guideline you may find helpful is the (% of RH x 10) + 1 = days to dry. (60% RH + 1 = 7 days to dry) Again, it is a guideline and depending if you whole hang vs branches vs huge plant, alot of different factors to determine the lenght of time required to dry.

I am no expert and messed up my last drying session. This resulted in likely loosing the harvest of one plant, now I would lean toward processing and curing early, as you can always burp more fequently, leave the lids open longer, use paper bags etc to reduce some excess mositure, but once the flowers get too dried not sure they are salavagable. I did use the 62% boost packs which likely rescued my harvest.

Crying and curing seems more "art" then "science", hopefully we can dial in better as we gain experience. Best of luck to you!

Upvote 1
It was recommended that along with snapping stem to determine if the plants are dry,I should also dry by weight.As an example I weighed one whole plant at 570 grams multiplied by .72 and then subtract that number from 570 which comes out to 160 grams.I was told this is very close to ideal moister level??? Broscience? I'm 9 days in and getting close to my target values, but stems are still not snapping.Thanks.
when im drying i take off the big fan leaves with no trichomes everything else gets left on i cant control the environment that well but i do my best to keep it between 15-20c lower is better but will take longer humidity ito to keep above 45% and not go above 60% this usually takes 7-10 days at this point the main stem will not snap it will bend with a bit of crunch to it is best i can describe it but the buds will snap clean off the main stem i find this to be the best method for me
iv also seen some people use moisture meters pressed into the bud havnt tied it myself but its a common thing i think :pass:

Upvote 1
I dry in brown bags. But when I'm getting close to done I just throw some buds in a jar with a cheap hydrometer for a couple hours
IMG_20240225_103731282.jpg

Upvote 1
Wood Moisture meter for the win stick it right in the main bud 12-15% and their ready for jar. Make sure to clean the prongs with ISO between each reading otherwise the readings can be skewed

Upvote 0
Thanks @wangotango321 it was the easiest way I found but honestly you’ll get the feel for it after a few harvests it won’t be necessary. I still use mine but not like when I first got now I tend to check them once their around 20% then I have a day or so to get them in to jars before their over dry. Like this one I got lazy and wasn’t checking and was little late jarring.

I can’t find my model anymore but it was bought on Amazon for <25$
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8852.jpeg

Upvote 0
Back