DWC, RDWC –Can you diagnose low dissolved oxygen in DWC / RDWC before the roots suffocate and die?

Reaction score
For some growers low o2, root suffocation and death results in Pythium fungal outbreaks is something to worry about and a big problem when this happens.

Can this low O2, root suffocation problem be diagnosed and reversed before the root die, decay, stink and the Pythium fungal infestation thrives?

Most growers often test; pH, water temp, RO, and plenty other stuff…. Why doesn’t anyone test for low oxygen and diagnose this low DO problem before the roots suffocate? They say for all aerobes pot plant roots, aerobic microbes, people, that O2 is the most vital element required for health and life and without enough of it death is imminent and quickly. How much O2 is really needed to keep roots and benny’s healthy? Clearly if there is not enough O2, there is big problems and this happen fast too.

I have read that root rot and fungal outbreaks happen after the roots suffocate from low oxygen problems in DWC pot grows. But I have found no growers that test DO nor are really concerned about diagnosing any low DO problems, but generally prefer waiting until the roots die, rot and stink – then the race is on to kill the fungi and save the plants roots.

Many growers also claim that the fungi (Pythium and fungal cousins) are the beast that ganged up and killed the roots. Let’s kill the fungi and the plants might survive.

Why doesn’t anyone test and diagnose this low DO problem before the roots suffocate? You will die in a few minutes without oxygen, roots probably die pretty fast too without enough oxygen – logical NO?

A grower tells me that it is very easy to fix a low O2 problem after it’s diagnosed and he does this every day where he works… just give the sick patient more additional O2. He’s a pulmonologist, MD.

I would agree that most dont test o2 levels.
Dont quite agree on the diagnosis part.

Honestly. Myself.
I have never checked ppm. Water temp. Or o2 levels. Rarely change my res. I am quite the lazy dwc grower lol.

I do how ever always try to push about as much air as i can to the roots. Air is the main key imo. Cant have enough o2. Can only have too much turbulence in water around the roots.

So with all the things folks do test like ppm n such. O2 levels are pretty low on everyones list Id bet. But good food for thought.
I do remember getting slime n such before. Asked a few folks here what they thought. Most common answer was add more air. And it worked.

I would have to wonder. How much does an o2 tester cost? That might be a huge reason why no one tests it?

Cheers bubba

I would agree that most dont test o2 levels.
Dont quite agree on the diagnosis part.

Honestly. Myself.
I have never checked ppm. Water temp. Or o2 levels. Rarely change my res. I am quite the lazy dwc grower lol.

I do how ever always try to push about as much air as i can to the roots. Air is the main key imo. Cant have enough o2. Can only have too much turbulence in water around the roots.

So with all the things folks do test like ppm n such. O2 levels are pretty low on everyones list Id bet. But good food for thought.
I do remember getting slime n such before. Asked a few folks here what they thought. Most common answer was add more air. And it worked.

I would have to wonder. How much does an o2 tester cost? That might be a huge reason why no one tests it?

Cheers bubba
I agree wth you mostly Ash, but would say that in my two rez system, one gets substantial turbulence with a waterfall, the other has more bubbles and only undercurrent. So far the rez with the turbulence is showing better growth.

They all four plants grow in the same water, but the turbulent rez did not fry where the xtra bubbly rez got stunted.

@Henry I think that the testing is done at a different phase of production than in the grow space. The bubble stones I use are micro pore expanded glass-silica stones. (look up 'hydroponic hoss' for the one I use) They emit much smaller bubbles that have increase surface area for oxygen to bond to the water. This more than anything else will increase oxygenation within DWC. And as an added bonus to increased O2, they are also cleanable and reusable for a long long time.

Last edited:
Roots are roots. How much O2 is in the soil in my back yard? I garrentee it's lower than a properly set up DWC system. Don't think I've ever seen a DWC system that was over airiated...

Not enough DO and your symptoms will appear as overwatering.

I agree wth you mostly Ash, but would say that in my two rez system, one gets substantial turbulence with a waterfall, the other has more bubbles and only undercurrent. So far the rez with the turbulence is showing better growth.

They all four plants grow in the same water, but the turbulent rez did not fry where the xtra bubbly rez got stunted.

@Henry I think that the testing is done at a different phase of production than in the grow space. The bubble stones I use are micro pore expanded glass-silica stones. (look up 'hydroponic hoss' for the one I use) They emit much smaller bubbles that have increase surface area for oxygen to bond to the water. This more than anything else will increase oxygenation within DWC. And as an added bonus to increased O2, they are also cleanable and reusable for a long long time.

I know just the stones your talking about... water almost turns milky, instead of looking like a fish tank.

Really? That's interesting.
Better root growth in the turbulence. I was basing that idea on friction of roots on basket cutting roots turbulence. But now i tinker idea of wind on branches makes stronger branches. Same logic could very well apply to the roots.
Rep gene. You always got something that makes me think.

Roots are roots. How much O2 is in the soil in my back yard? I garrentee it's lower than a properly set up DWC system. Don't think I've ever seen a DWC system that was over airiated...

Not enough DO and your symptoms will appear as overwatering.

You'd be surprised how much oxygen lives in the soil. In fact the main reason for watering and using organic amendments is aggregate soil particles in such a way as to maximize drainage. The water that that leaves due to gravity does not help a plant, except that it pulls air from above ground into all the pore spaces as it drains. The water uptake of your plant is controlled by transpiration and capillary action.

You'd be surprised how much oxygen lives in the soil. In fact the main reason for watering and using organic amendments is aggregate soil particles in such a way as to maximize drainage. The water that that leaves due to gravity does not help a plant, except that it pulls air from above ground into all the pore spaces as it drains. The water uptake of your plant is controlled by transpiration and capillary action.
Totally agree, I poorly stated that one of the reasons DWC works so well is an over abundance of oxygen @ the roots. Allowing for more effective uptake.

Have seen a system that was kinda soil, in a DWC system...looked interesting, but worked on the same principle, increasing O2 above "normal" soil concentrations.

One quick thing to add (late for work again... dammmmit)

soil moisture retention is defined as the water that maintains surface tension bonds with soil particles after gravity losses equalize. This is the majority of water that is pulled into the roots by transpiration. And the reason why we water the schedules we do, letting seemingly dry out first.

Totally agree, I poorly stated that one of the reasons DWC works so well is an over abundance of oxygen @ the roots. Allowing for more effective uptake.

Have seen a system that was kinda soil, in a DWC system...looked interesting, but worked on the same principle, increasing O2 above "normal" soil concentrations.
I have seen a system that used soil and dwc ;) lol

Back