Fem seed breeding: STS info and Other questions..

If I had a plant that created a few seeds from some stress related issues. (Lost power for a day). Would it be wise to grow those seeds out? Would those plants become hermies no matter what or would they hide their male parts unless I stressed it out. The genetics came from a reputable breeder well known on AFN not known for hermies. So I'm pretty sure I was the cause of the seeds.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Figured some breeders would know the correct answer.
@FullDuplex

Last edited:
If I had a plant that created a few seeds from some stress related issues. (Lost power for a day). Would it be wise to grow those seeds out? Would those plants become hermies no matter what or would they hide their male parts unless I stressed it out. The genetics came from a reputable breeder well known on AFN not known for hermies. So I'm pretty sure I was the cause of the seeds.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Figured some breeders would know the correct answer.
@FullDuplex
I had couple do this I'm gonna run them outside for fun, if they yield something ya if not then I know they are only good for a country road ditch.

If I get anywhere return from the ghost toof and purple gorilla then I will be bragging about my hermie bean and its yield, cause both original girls put out well,

@FullDuplex
I would not use them for my regular grows or for any future breeding, but would have no problem growing them outside for fun.

I would not use them for my regular grows or for any future breeding, but would have no problem growing them outside for fun.
Right that's how i see it I'll toss them alongside side the grain silo then when I go to unload them in the late summer I'll see what we got, it's worth shot, hell they could all say let's grow donkey ducks just cause or they could say ya um nope. But hell least try it.

Hey

Before placing an order to make STS, I wanted to double check with the community that these are the right products.
1. Silver nitrate 25g-over 99.9% purity

2. NC-11699 Sodium Thiosulfate, Anhydrous, USP Grade, 500g
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NC-11699-So...007237?hash=item41a02a6545:g:SbMAAOSwdppeXuRj

The prices seem pretty expensive but I can't seem to find another place to buy in Canada. Also, is it sketchy to order these products? I'm a legal grower so I don't think it'd be an issue. And lastly, with STS is it guaranteed to work 100%?

Thanks

Last edited:
The prices seem pretty expensive but I can't seem to find another place to buy in Canada. Also, is it sketchy to order these products? I'm a legal grower so I don't think it'd be an issue. And lastly, with STS is it guaranteed to work 100%?

Thanks
First of all, nothing is guaranteed to work 100%. That being said the right mix with the right timing is almost 100% guaranteed. I don’t use STS, I’ve always used CS and it mostly works for me, to the tune of 1000s of seeds.

In some countries, in the past, ordering both items from the same company could get you put on a watch list. I’m not sure if this is still true or not. Plus you are in Canada and I don’t think they care.

Hey Hemi,

I should've been more clear when I asked about the success rate, I meant if one follows has the right mixture and right timing then would it work 100%? Currently I'm using homemade colloidal silver but just supposedly found out that the success rate with CS isn't guaranteed like STS or at least that's what I've read. The silver was tested at 18 ppm and wouldn't go higher but as someone said in a previous thread just put a laser pointer through the glass jar and if you see a clear line in the water it's ready. Also, hearing that you've produced 1000's of seeds from CS is incredible, that gives me hope to stick with CS. How long and often do you recommend spraying CS?
First of all, nothing is guaranteed to work 100%. That being said the right mix with the right timing is almost 100% guaranteed. I don’t use STS, I’ve always used CS and it mostly works for me, to the tune of 1000s of seeds.

In some countries, in the past, ordering both items from the same company could get you put on a watch list. I’m not sure if this is still true or not. Plus you are in Canada and I don’t think they care.

Hey Hemi,

I should've been more clear when I asked about the success rate, I meant if one follows has the right mixture and right timing then would it work 100%? Currently I'm using homemade colloidal silver but just supposedly found out that the success rate with CS isn't guaranteed like STS or at least that's what I've read. The silver was tested at 18 ppm and wouldn't go higher but as someone said in a previous thread just put a laser pointer through the glass jar and if you see a clear line in the water it's ready. Also, hearing that you've produced 1000's of seeds from CS is incredible, that gives me hope to stick with CS. How long and often do you recommend spraying CS?
STS has a much higher success rate and you spray less, I just personally don’t like the chemicals and whatever you do, don’t get silver nitrate on you as it stains like a MF.

I have only used CS that was at least 50ppm. Luckily I bought a big bottle that guaranteed at least 50ppm before people started drinking it and the prices went up. It actually is much higher than that around 120ppm and cut it in half with distilled water. Those seeds in my profile pic are just some of the ones I made with CS. For autoflowers, I pick a healthy plant and isolate it a week before they look to flower And I spray it down top to bottom each day until pollen sacs start to produce. Once you start to see sacs, continue for another 3 days just to be sure. I’m doing this while my lady, which I start a week or two behind my reversed auto, is getting ready for her first date. My preferred method us to put them together and play some Marvin Gaye music and let the magic happen.

If you decide to only collect pollen for future use please let it fall naturally. Put something around the plant that is easy to collect pollen on and collect it after it falls, black smooth poster board works great. I have seen too many growers try to rush the process by slicing open sacs. They wind up with immature pollen that won’t do anything.
Good Luck!
☮️

hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well with their STS adventures

I wanted to ask what time of the light cycle you guys spray your plants. I am thinking either
a) when lights go on
b) when lights are about to go off (to avoid light burn and have the plant soak it all up)

what are your thoughts?

thanks!

Back