First grow help, Week 1, stretch and Seedling droopy? (New pic)

theBroGro

Still learning the hard way
Reaction score
Hey again! I might be bit over eager, but I'm yearning to learn more every day.
I've gotten myself to the seedling stage, Day 3, happy times :biggrin:
Got 2x RQS Sherbert Queen automatic in 11l (3gal) fabric pots. I was thinking of doing a diary too, but first..

I've only used pH'd water (6.3-6.5) in soil (T.A light mix, soiless soil), I watered the entire pot at the start, and have only watered slightly when it felt dry finger lenght down. I've maybe added 1dl each, total of 2 times so far (have one of those spray things).
The pot feels (when hefting) getting on the little lighter side compared to what it was. Should I water until runoff? Or did I goof with my sprinkling?

I will be running the GH TriPart grow, bloom, micro nutes. I was told they'd be okay with Voodoo juice.
Bought Voodoo juice and carb load too, is it too early (or late) to start them yet? I think the roots would love the bacteria and sugars.

I had my little gals in my closet, but wanted more control over things, so I got a tent. Hydro shoot 80cm x 80cm x 180cm
Ts 1000 was about 30" at 50% (raised from 25% after slowish in 2 days) until day 2.
Now (Day 3) the tent- I put my Mars Hydro TS 1000 60 cm (24"), at about 60% intensity. I've seen multiple different heights and intensities listed out, even by Mars Hydro, so I hope I'm doing this right..
I've got a fan and a humidifier, temps are around 23C and humidity 50-60%

Are my little gals stretching or does this look good? They are both 5cm in length.

PS.
Inline fan and carbon filter will be coming too. Any recommendations?

PPS. If there is a sensei willing to spread their guidance privately, I would appreciate you to no end.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Hey the BroGro, grats on your seedlings :d5:

To answer your questions..

Looking at the pictures you've shared, the soil looks moist and I would say does not need a watering yet.

Remember these little girls are soooo tiny, they only need the smallest amounts of water and they really do not need to be 'wet' all the time, moist to dry is a good balance to hit.

Your question on whether you should be watering to runoff is somewhat difficult to anwser just because many growers do it differently and I guess it's down to a growers personal preference to a certain degree..however I will give you my opinion on it..

If you're finding the soil drying out very quickly, then I'd recommend wetting the entire media which result in some runoff, but don't go overboard, because you don't want to be 'flushing' the nutes out of your light mix soil.

On the opposite end, if you're finding your soil is not drying out quickly and stays wet for long periods of time, then adding small amounts of water is sufficient and won't need runoff..however always aim for really well drainable soil, if it's staying wet for long periods it's not really ideal for cannabis.

At day 3 seedling, you will be absolutely fine to give that Voodoo juice, which I believe is a root additive however the carbo load is a flowering booster and I wouldn't add it at this stage.

With regards to the stretching it does look like they are stretching a little..(nothing concerning), however this can be caused by high temps too, so can you share your temps and humidity with us?

If your temps are not extremely high, then perhaps get the lights a tadge closer, but try in small increments, nothing drastic and see how they react over a period of days, better to go slow and steady than end up pushing too far and causing them slow growth, or worse, some damage.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hey the BroGro, grats on your seedlings :d5:

To answer your questions..

Looking at the pictures you've shared, the soil looks moist and I would say does not need a watering yet.

Remember these little girls are soooo tiny, they only need the smallest amounts of water and they really do not need to be 'wet' all the time, moist to dry is a good balance to hit.

Your question on whether you should be watering to runoff is somewhat difficult to anwser just because many growers do it differently and I guess it's down to a growers personal preference to a certain degree..however I will give you my opinion on it..

If you're finding the soil drying out very quickly, then I'd recommend wetting the entire media which result in some runoff, but don't go overboard, because you don't want to be 'flushing' the nutes out of your light mix soil.

On the opposite end, if you're finding your soil is not drying out quickly and stays wet for long periods of time, then adding small amounts of water is sufficient and won't need runoff..however always aim for really well drainable soil, if it's staying wet for long periods it's not really ideal for cannabis.

At day 3 seedling, you will be absolutely fine to give that Voodoo juice, which I believe is a root additive however the carbo load is a flowering booster and I wouldn't add it at this stage.

With regards to the stretching it does look like they are stretching a little..(nothing concerning), however this can be caused by high temps too, so can you share your temps and humidity with us?

If your temps are not extremely high, then perhaps get the lights a tadge closer, but try in small increments, nothing drastic and see how they react over a period of days, better to go slow and steady than end up pushing too far and causing them slow growth, or worse, some damage.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Silver!

I think what I am seeing is good water retention on my medium, but the top soil (half a finger to finger deep) gets bone dry, hence the little watering I've done. have not done to runoff since moisteing entire pot.

Voodoo juice package recommends feeding the carbo load for Voodoo juice bacteria, I was under the impression it would feed the bacteria!

My temps have been constant 22.5-24C, mostly hovering over the 23C mark.
Humidity I am trying to nail down, but I am between 40%-65%.
I've been slowly amping up the intensity but still seeing a little stretch, I will move them to 20" today.

Thanks, Silver!

I think what I am seeing is good water retention on my medium, but the top soil (half a finger to finger deep) gets bone dry, hence the little watering I've done. have not done to runoff since moisteing entire pot.

Voodoo juice package recommends feeding the carbo load for Voodoo juice bacteria, I was under the impression it would feed the bacteria!

My temps have been constant 22.5-24C, mostly hovering over the 23C mark.
Humidity I am trying to nail down, but I am between 40%-65%.
I've been slowly amping up the intensity but still seeing a little stretch, I will move them to 20" today.
Hi,I am in the same stage.Looks like mine are stretching very little too.I use to hang the light between 50 centimeters to 40 and dimming at 40%,so for me it Is 80 Watts.We have same biobizz soil.I would suggest to use biobizz nutes line and keep It as organic as possible.
Screenshot_20220211-111621_Foto.png

PS:I planted two Royal Queen seeds autos too

Hi,I am in the same stage.Looks like mine are stretching very little too.I use to hang the light between 50 centimeters to 40 and dimming at 40%,so for me it Is 80 Watts.We have same biobizz soil.I would suggest to use biobizz nutes line and keep It as organic as possible.

PS:I planted two Royal Queen seeds autos too
Hi! Yours is looking more like what I expected. I've now lowered the light to 50cm and around at 60%. Looks like they've not stretched much and I am seeing some more leave growth.

Last edited:
So a quick update, the right one seems more droopy than our left gal here. Is she okay?
I overwatered her, didn't I? Have I fallen to the most common mistake? :nono:

This is what you get for not heeding @Mañ'O'Green advice and instead listen to your own stoner paranoia.
"But bro, the top 3 inches felt dry and it felt a lot lighter so I'll just water little from the top" :deadhorse:

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
So a quick update, the right one seems more droopy than our left gal here. Is she okay?
I overwatered her, didn't I? Have I fallen to the most common mistake? :nono:

This is what you get for not heeding @Mañ'O'Green advice and instead listen to your own stoner paranoia.
"But bro, the top 3 inches felt dry and it felt a lot lighter so I'll just water little from the top" :deadhorse:
Hi friend,I might have overwatered too.I got mold in the top of soil and this girl,on the left instead of right (lol) Is stunted

Attachments

• 1644607625654142854178207623546.jpg
    1644607625654142854178207623546.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 16446076433483474482325429315565.jpg
    16446076433483474482325429315565.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Hi friend,I might have overwatered too.I got mold in the top of soil and this girl,on the left instead of right (lol) Is stunted
That sucks! Mold is one of my worst nightmares. I wish you good luck, at least the other one is looking good!!

My pots feel bone dry. I even tried my finger through it, and weighted the pots. It's definitely time to water until runoff for me. Gonna be putting some Voodoo Juice in there too.
Wish me luck.

That sucks! Mold is one of my worst nightmares. I wish you good luck, at least the other one is looking good!!

My pots feel bone dry. I even tried my finger through it, and weighted the pots. It's definitely time to water until runoff for me. Gonna be putting some Voodoo Juice in there too.
Wish me luck.
I Wish you luck And try to give you a tip.I was advised to water biobizz lightmix in 2 parts:First spray must your top soil so It becomes humid.You must see It become very dark.Then,wait 20 minutes and water slowly with amount you want.This Is because if soil Is very dry,bone dry,the water you Will see It running to the edges and not get absorbed a lot trhough all the Center of the pot.This I learned with my previous grows with biobizz

Your 150w Ts1000 is too far away and at too low of an intensity, causing your seedlings to produce a hormone that causes rapid elongation of the cells in the stem causing the "stretch" trying to get closer to the light. Crank it up to 100% @ 24" and provide enough air circulation to keep it wiggling. This will strengthen roots and stem. In 10 days bring it down to 18-20."Good luck.

Back