New Grower First Grow - Northern Lights/Pineapple Express/Sweet Tooth (Autos)

Thinking of buying a cheap dwc bucket and starting a bean for it. I think it would be interesting and seeing as how my plants are micro I definitely have the room for it in my tent. If I can find one smaller than 5 gal.

Last edited:
Gave the girls some Humic acid and Jump start yesterday instead of the regular nute feed. Jump start is apparently a pretty good alternative to "Superthrive" from "Grow More". Well when I woke up today and checked on the girls they all seemed to be extra perky. Seems like it had a pretty good effect because I could definitely notice the PE and NL didn't look that great prior to using them. I dunno how else to explain it other than they look a lot more "alive" now haha. Hopefully they will start doing something now because I swear it seems like they haven't did anything over the last couple of days. I'm hopeful that's about to change though.

The Sweet tooth is still doing really good. I noticed her getting bigger literally every time I checked on her yesterday. Some of her leaves have actually reached the edge of the pot! can't even believe it. She is definitely looking like she is going to be much bigger than the other 2. I'm just happy that at least one of my plants is not looking so pitiful in the size department.

I can do it!! ^_^

Gave the girls some Humic acid and Jump start yesterday instead of the regular nute feed. Jump start is apparently a pretty good alternative to "Superthrive" from "Grow More". Well when I woke up today and checked on the girls they all seemed to be extra perky. Seems like it had a pretty good effect because I could definitely notice the PE and NL didn't look that great prior to using them. I dunno how else to explain it other than they look a lot more "alive" now haha. Hopefully they will start doing something now because I swear it seems like they haven't did anything over the last couple of days. I'm hopeful that's about to change though.

The Sweet tooth is still doing really good. I noticed her getting bigger literally every time I checked on her yesterday. Some of her leaves have actually reached the edge of the pot! can't even believe it. She is definitely looking like she is going to be much bigger than the other 2. I'm just happy that at least one of my plants is not looking so pitiful in the size department.

I can do it!! ^_^

You go, Girl! Get your grow on! :thumbs:

When my plants do that I say they are smiling

Alot of the time when they don't seem to be doing anything its cause they are pushing roots

When my plants do that I say they are smiling

Alot of the time when they don't seem to be doing anything its cause they are pushing roots

Damn I thought at 30 days in I'd be done with roots. I still have a lot to learn.

and the smiling thing makes a lot of sense haha. I peeked in and they smiled at me and it made me feel so good.

Oh yeah, they're working on roots the entire grow man, it may slow down root development later on, but as long as there is room to go they will continue to do it. I get that you're eager but you may want to consider a couple soil grows before you go into hydro. When you make a mistake in soil there is a pretty decent buffer the soil affords, with hydro you have no buffer so if you get something wrong in terms of PH/EC, etc you can go from happy plant to dead plant in a very short period of time. I'm not trying to generally discourage you, but you should try to set yourself for as little horror and disappointment as possible to keep your motivation up :)

Oh yeah, they're working on roots the entire grow man, it may slow down root development later on, but as long as there is room to go they will continue to do it. I get that you're eager but you may want to consider a couple soil grows before you go into hydro. When you make a mistake in soil there is a pretty decent buffer the soil affords, with hydro you have no buffer so if you get something wrong in terms of PH/EC, etc you can go from happy plant to dead plant in a very short period of time. I'm not trying to generally discourage you, but you should try to set yourself for as little horror and disappointment as possible to keep your motivation up :)

Sorry Medi, I have to disagree with you. With DWc, as long as you keep your ph in a range of 5.7 to 6.4, and don't over do the nutes, your plants will grow like crazy. Its pretty easy to keep things going really. I did DWC for my very first grow and it was easy and trouble free. Soil, on the other hand, if you screw up, you don't know it till your plants are damaged. I half killed my indoor grow by using a too hot organic mix and it took weeks to get the healthy again!

I guess it depends on a lot of variables but I was thinking, you have two temperatures to monitor, and for beginners two of the most common mistakes are PH and overfeeding. But you're right I guess in that it's far quicker to recover from those mistakes with hydro, so as long as you're paying attention it's probably fine.

that's actually exactly why I was looking at dwc. It just seemed like it was easier because you are in direct control of everything. I decided to go ahead and wait anyway though. If I only had 2 girls going atm I probably would have went ahead with it but 3 air pots take up a lot of room. I think I will wait until my 2nd grow and do 2 soil and 1 dwc bucket. Kinda want to finish a grow from A to Z before I start messing around with other stuff. Don't want to just run away because my first grow not going exactly how I planned.

Let me ask you pros a question.

If you had to choose between a ph pen or a soil ph meter which would you choose? I'm tired of guessing what is wrong with my plants and I'd like to rule out PH being the problem. I can only afford one or the other atm and it has to be cheap lol.

I was leaning toward the soil meter but .........

Last edited:
Back