New Grower First Time Growing Anything! Featuring Twisted Tree and Mephisto in Coco/Perlite

Mephisto seeds arrived today. Received 5x Sour Stomper, 5x Mephisto's Wedding, 2x Mango Smile, and 2x CDLC. Freebies are 5x 3Bog x Mango Smile and 5x (CDLC x Sour Stomper) x CDLC.

I couldn't decide which strains to run so I had my friend choose for me. Right now I have 2 Sour Stomper, 2 3BOG x M.S. and 2 Twisted Cookies soaking in 1% peroxide water (~180'ish mL RO water with ~5'ish mL of 3% peroxide) on top of a heating mat. They will soak for a few hours before being wrapped in moist paper towels and into a tupperware container. I'll only be running 4-5 plants, and the extra seeds are for germination insurance or for culling the weakest ones once sprouted. The decision to use 1% peroxide water was informed by this video:

While the seeds are in paper towels I'll prep the jiffy pellets by soaking them in RO water with a tiny drop of Pro-Tekt silica and a teeny pinch of Mikro-Micro (similar to Recharge). Once tails are 1/2 inch long or so I'll be putting them into the pellets.

70/30 Coco perlite will be prepped as soon as the seeds go into the jiffy pellets. I'll prep the coco by soaking them in 5mL/gallon Cal-Mag for 24 hours and check the run-off pH and EC. I'll allow the Coco to get to temp by leaving them in the grow room for 24 hours. If run-off ppm/pH of the prepped coco is too high, I'll flush using the same diluted nutrient solution (~150 ppm of Foliage Pro + Silica) that I'll be fertigating my seedlings with once they are transferred from pellets to coco. Will add cal-mag if necessary, but I've read a few grow logs of other people using dyna-gro in coco who did not use cal-mag throughout the grow.

Throughout the grow I'll be referencing a VPD and DLI chart. Seedling conditions are perfect as VPD is about .6 in my seedling starter tray. Ambient VPD is about .9 to 1.1 which is perfect for veg stage. With the dehumidifier turned on the VPD is between 1.2-1.4 which seems ideal for flowering. Environment is looking good so far.

For those reading, feel free to pick apart my plan and provide feedback! I get the sense that I am over-complicating parts of this grow, but I don't want to stray too far from what has been prescribed by the resources I've read. Once I have a few miles under my belt I hope to simplify much of my process. Thanks for reading!

Damn. I am so excited about my first grow I am beginning to entertain the idea of running all 6 seeds in 3 gallon bags rather than culling 2 and running 4 plants in 5 gallon bags. Am I biting off more than I can chew? If this is a terrible idea please slap me back into reality haha. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, you know, counting chickens before they hatch sorta thing.

Damn. I am so excited about my first grow I am beginning to entertain the idea of running all 6 seeds in 3 gallon bags rather than culling 2 and running 4 plants in 5 gallon bags. Am I biting off more than I can chew? If this is a terrible idea please slap me back into reality haha. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, you know, counting chickens before they hatch sorta thing.
I grew 6 in a 4x4 with 3gal. A lot of people love it, I wasn’t a fan. I think though it depends on how much you defol, how much do you need before your next harvest in 3-4 months and stuff like that. It works for sure just too crowded for my personal taste. You can get mold easier, it happened to me but of my own doing. I unplugged the fans for a minute and 3 days later remembered to plug em in. Dumbass. I think 4 seems to be a good number if you want a little breathing room.

Here they are when they were at 6-7 weeks just for a reference
EF197486-B550-4EAD-B300-57BC30B39C85.png

Here they are when they were at 6-7 weeks just for a reference
View attachment 1507667

If this was supposed to dissuade me from running 6 plants, it did the opposite haha. You really did set the bar for first grows. I am drooling! I have 3 and 5 gallon grow bags ready so I’ll determine how many I’ll run once the seeds pop.

If this was supposed to dissuade me from running 6 plants, it did the opposite haha. You really did set the bar for first grows. I am drooling! I have 3 and 5 gallon grow bags ready so I’ll determine how many I’ll run once the seeds pop.
If I was growing in a tent, I’d pick cultivars of similar sizes if possible.

It's been 34 hours and I checked up on the babies in the paper towels and 5 seeds have approximately 1/2 inch radicles. One 3bogxmangosmile is just beginning to open up and it looks like it has some time to go. But all looks good.

I sprinkled a little bit of bennies on the jiffy pellets and put the seeds in their new homes. Unfortunately my stupid fingers fumbled around a lot and handled the seedlings way more than is probably good for them. I even dropped one of the seeds and touched the roots more times than necessary. I hope I haven't done too much harm to them. I'm glad I decided to germinate 6 seeds so I can still run 4 plants if a couple don't make it. Does anyone have tips for handling these tiny seedlings and placing them into their new homes?

It's been 34 hours and I checked up on the babies in the paper towels and 5 seeds have approximately 1/2 inch radicles. One 3bogxmangosmile is just beginning to open up and it looks like it has some time to go. But all looks good.

I sprinkled a little bit of bennies on the jiffy pellets and put the seeds in their new homes. Unfortunately my stupid fingers fumbled around a lot and handled the seedlings way more than is probably good for them. I even dropped one of the seeds and touched the roots more times than necessary. I hope I haven't done too much harm to them. I'm glad I decided to germinate 6 seeds so I can still run 4 plants if a couple don't make it. Does anyone have tips for handling these tiny seedlings and placing them into their new homes?
I cant recommend this way of germination enough https://www.autoflower.org/threads/germination-the-ronin-way.33891/ I've used this way for over 5 years as I started with paper towels etc as this way you don't have to touch the tiny roots

I use tweezers to pick up my seed and place it the direction I want it to go. I’m a super simple germinator lol soak in a cup 24 hrs and plop in the dirt. A couple have been split open slightly but never a taproot showing. 72 hours seed to sprout. Everyone has their way for everything and you’ll find me shopping in the simple as shit aisle during my grow.

Back