New Grower First Time Growing Anything! Featuring Twisted Tree and Mephisto in Coco/Perlite

If I was growing in a tent, I’d pick cultivars of similar sizes if possible.
This is key in a full tent I found. Now I know that width wise I can grow 6 plants like Strawbba the Hut but only 3-4 of Owl Pellets if I don’t want them smashed against each other. I also had to put Strawbba on a Home Depot bucket (15”) to keep her up with the Pellets and Grappa. Obviously everything is doable but there’s a lot to be said for convenience

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I will consider all your suggestions because I am looking to simplify the germination process in the future.

Next question. Do lights go on as soon as the seeds are placed in the jiffy pellets? Nothing is coming out of the pellets yet, but my understanding is that the seeds need a very small amount of light to orient themselves to the surface.

Next question. Do lights go on as soon as the seeds are placed in the jiffy pellets? Nothing is coming out of the pellets yet, but my understanding is that the seeds need a very small amount of light to orient themselves to the surface.

(i luv it when this ques getz asked :biggrin: ) i'll answer ur ques with another -> what happenz in nature-?? think about that for a min....g'head, i'll wait....:smoking: in the proverbial nushell, the sun duzn't turn itself off until the bean sproutz, so....:yeah: well, unless of course it'z a cloudy day, but....:rofl: :cool1: ppp

Thanks for all the replies. I will consider all your suggestions because I am looking to simplify the germination process in the future.

I keep mine on 24hrs just because it’s an easy way to keep my temp around 75. Around 24 hours after it sprouts I switch the timer on for 16/8. I really don’t know how you’re “supposed” to do it, just what worked already for me ya dig? Pretty hardy plants though, acts just like a weed!

I soak seeds just until they sink. Pretty much the same thing for everything we grow except most of our desert trees & plants also need the seeds filed before the soak.
I second the tweezers.

All have sprouted and started to pop out of the jiffy pellets. One Sour Stomper is still a little behind the others, but it appears to be pushing out of the pellet. May have overwatered here and there, still trying to get a feel for things. This week is hectic so I will try to update and provide pics this weekend!

My seedlings popped out of the ground on Wednesday night/Thursday morning and when I checked on them today they appeared to look a little "off". Could they be afflicted with damping off? I think I made a sequence of compounding mistakes that led to this situation. First, when I soaked the Jiffy Pellets I did not squeeze the excess moisture from the pellets - I simply dropped my seeds with the taproots down into the pellets after letting them dry for a few hours. I did not realize how much excess water can and should be squeezed out of a pellet. I also think I made the problem worse by covering them with a humidity dome and putting a heating mat underneath them. I sprayed the inside of the dome before I went to bed last night and when I checked the AC infinity temp/humidity data this morning, they were in 87F and 90%+ humidity all night!

I checked the jiffy pellets earlier and they felt wet to the touch. Too wet. For now I've taken the humidity dome off until I can confirm they can't be salvaged.

Feel free to chime in. I'm here to learn from my mistakes and from others.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Third picture looks like a stuck shell / shell membrane, which is pretty common. A drop or two of water will help to loosen up/dissolve the membrane, and then if you're really gentle you can brush tweezers against it to try to brush it off. Maybe one in ten of my seedlings has needed a little help to shed the shell.

I don't see anything in those pictures that looks like damping off :goodluck: -- that usually looks like a ring of mold/fungi is choking the stem right where it breaks the surface, causing a pinch point on the stem that eventually gets too top-heavy and breaks. @Animatey posted a picture here that looks just like what happened to mine.

@parsing_trees Thanks for taking a look. I followed your advice and applied a tiny drop of water to the seed membranes. 4 out of the 6 plants still have their membranes stuck to them. The plant that looks curled and wilted over - 3 bog x mango - on the far right end of the row is a goner and I've removed it from the tent. I'll check up on the membrane periodically and if necessary, brush the membrane off with some sanitized tweezers.

Back