Flushing vs. Flushing

Muddy

Proud deplorable!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
OG Kush, Deep Cheese, Key Lime
I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of confusion, especially among new growers, about the term flushing. Flushing is often used to describe the process of running extra water through a plant to correct an overfeeding or deficiency issue. Flushing is also used to describe the 2 weeks of plain water given at the end of the grow cycle. So people have assumed that the final flush should be 3 times the pot size, what is normally done for an overfeeding or deficiency problem. To avoid further confusion I'm suggesting we stop using the term flush at the end of the plant cycle and replace it with cleansing. So here would be my suggested definitions:

Flush - The process of running 3 times the pot size of pHed water through the soil to address a possible overfeeding or plant deficiency issue.

Cleansing - Using the normal amount of plain pHed water the last two weeks of the grow to remove the remaining nutrients from the soil, thereby improving the taste of the buds.

Thanks Muddy!!!

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of confusion, especially among new growers, about the term flushing. Flushing is often used to describe the process of running extra water through a plant to correct an overfeeding or deficiency issue. Flushing is also used to describe the 2 weeks of plain water given at the end of the grow cycle. So people have assumed that the final flush should be 3 times the pot size, what is normally done for an overfeeding or deficiency problem. To avoid further confusion I'm suggesting we stop using the term flush at the end of the plant cycle and replace it with cleansing. So here would be my suggested definitions:

Flush - The process of running 3 times the pot size of pHed water through the soil to address a possible overfeeding or plant deficiency issue.

Cleansing - Using the normal amount of plain pHed water the last two weeks of the grow to remove the remaining nutrients from the soil, thereby improving the taste of the buds.

Yh i agree often alot of mix ups between the term flushing :thumbs: Im cleansing at the moment and chop on sunday/monday:smokeit::smokeit::smokeit:

Last edited:
IMO opinion cleansing is very overrated. And its a fairly new growing procedure. Folks who grow with multiple chemical additives cleanse. But if you know your grow and your strain you can simply tapper down your nutes till the end. There are many benefits to not cleansing, one being while your plant nears the end of its life and is already in a low water absorption stage...your not watering the nutes out of it, soaking the soil and adding stress and high humidity levels at the worst possible time in your cab. And of course any all organic or TLO growers flushing and cleansing is harmful and dangerous to the plant. I have for years been growing in 20-30 gallon tubs without drain holes so no flushie flushy or cleanse cleanse for me. Organic or chem.

So IMO if your pushing a big chem line to the max point you may want to consider a cleanse, but if your a newbie or inexperienced with a new strain...best off going light on the fert and pushing for extra time in the final week to even see if you guessed right at the finish date, as I see plenty of growers that don't even know when the last two weeks of a plants life is...or when a plant is finished.

Nice thread Muddy like the topic. Lets give this a sticky for everyone to read up on...:thumbs::peace:

Don't use molasses during the 'cleanse' it will make the smoke harsh from the minerals. Advice taken from The Rev's organics book.

I just experienced this as well being a noon ...some bud would taste like burnt sugar ....yacks!!

Back