Flushing vs. Flushing

Guys, lets stay on topic here. This thread is about flushing and cleansing, not a place to be discussing pH.

Something a little different to the cleansing at harvest

I grow 100% chemical (Jack's Classics). and feed right up to the end.
Just before the plant comes down,, I've taken to defoiling all fan leafs,, and water with 1/2 cup Peroxide per gallon of water for the last 48 hrs (+/-).
Seems the plant likes taking up the peroxide and seems to help burn off the chlorofill faster for the cure.

Nothing scientific to prove / disprove,, But since I've been doing this it gives me some really smooth smoke.
Nothing harsh,, off flavor, crackling, etc. Just white ash in the bowl and a happily stoned toker as results.

I'm very pleased with the dependability of the out come and simply works very well for me in my growing conditions.

I like the idea. As a new grower I can confirm that new growers mix the 2 up.

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of confusion, especially among new growers, about the term flushing. Flushing is often used to describe the process of running extra water through a plant to correct an overfeeding or deficiency issue. Flushing is also used to describe the 2 weeks of plain water given at the end of the grow cycle. So people have assumed that the final flush should be 3 times the pot size, what is normally done for an overfeeding or deficiency problem. To avoid further confusion I'm suggesting we stop using the term flush at the end of the plant cycle and replace it with cleansing. So here would be my suggested definitions:

Flush - The process of running 3 times the pot size of pHed water through the soil to address a possible overfeeding or plant deficiency issue.

Cleansing - Using the normal amount of plain pHed water the last two weeks of the grow to remove the remaining nutrients from the soil, thereby improving the taste of the buds.

I use final flush from general hydropontics

OK,

so....i'm growing my first plant, and now i'm seeing that it's about time to harvest---i'm guessing around a week from now---and i haven't been flushing. so...i'm wondering if i can just do two good flushings (with the "lots of water" and what-not) in said week, or maybe try that h2o2 trick that Canon mentioned a few posts back..Anybody..

not sure on the H2o2 trick. Flush away. You may actually find that you may want the plant alive for a bit longer than you first thought... If you sample a bit with a quick dry and don't get a good burn or a weird taste still... think about a good water cure... I loved my water cure that I did and plan to do with at least half of all I gather:toke:

Doing a heavy flush will leach the remaining nutrients out of the soil, but not the plant. The idea behind cleansing is to give the plant a nutrient free soil so that the plant only takes up clean water. The two week time frame is needed so the plant has time to utilize any remaining nutrients it has stored, thereby removing any residual taste from those nutes.

OK,

so....i'm growing my first plant, and now i'm seeing that it's about time to harvest---i'm guessing around a week from now---and i haven't been flushing. so...i'm wondering if i can just do two good flushings (with the "lots of water" and what-not) in said week, or maybe try that h2o2 trick that Canon mentioned a few posts back..Anybody..

Muddy, what are your thoughts on the notion of a dark period inducing a cleaner flavor? I've heard some say that it sends the plants into such a frenzy without light that they just burn up all the stored ferts in their system and it gets rid of some of the "tang" of chem grown bud.

I do a 24 - 48 hour dark period to increase resin flow. I've not read about it increasing the nute utilization. I'm no botanist but it would seem to me that without photosynthesis taking place, the plant wouldn't be utilizing the nutrients. It would be an interesting experiment though. Two plants of the same strain, one cleansed, one not. Give both a dark period and see how they compare.

Back