Sweet Seeds From Seed To Smoke.

End of week 2 is tomorrow.

A weird week, while the plant has continued to grow it has not been as quick or as visible as in the first week. The only difference has been a change of lighting from 24/0 to 18/6. < I expected to see a bigger increase with a longer dark period.

My house is not the most warmest of places to live and all we have had this week is rain making the house cooler. My temps stay between 22-25 when the light is on, but when ever opening the door and turning the light off the thermometer can quickly drop to around 15

I have now changed the lighting back up to 20/4 and having the dark period during the afternoon and will see how the plant reacts to this over the next 7 days. I think this is how I will stay as it does not cost much to run, being on a meter and able to watch what I am spending it has hardly made a dent into what is normally used per week even when running 247.

Last weekend was lovely with 12-14 hours of sun for almost 3 days. I had the plant out in it the entire time, bringing it back in at night and it loved it. The only downside being it may of picked up a bug or two while out enjoying the sun as I noticed signs on some leaves this week and even found two insects which has had me worrying. I have bleached everything and I have treated the plant with soap and water tonight and will be picking up some bug spray in the next day or two

The plant was also looking a little patchy on some leaves with a light / yellowy green appearance that you can see in the photos.

I thought at first it maybe down to the insects so left it a day or so to monitor it. The plant drooped midweek asking for water. So I decided to gave it some food - 6mm to 6 liters of water. I expected to wake the next morning to find the plant burnt, but there has been no side effects at all apart from the leaves looking a lot better.

I am surprised that I needed to add any feed so soon, maybe a good thing? but I did think the soil would have enough init to keep the plant going at least for 3 -4 weeks. So from now on I will carry on feeding once a week.
I am hoping to get at least another week maybe more, before the plant starts to think about flowering.

Day 13,
20140524_200717_zps22011f81.jpg

Sides are starting to branch out
20140524_200935_zps00a55b10.jpg

20140524_200738_zpsf797eb96.jpg

I am also looking into getting a 2700k bulb to flower indoors, because the weather is being so unreliable here, one or two nice days is followed by 3-4 overcast and rainy days. I know it wont always be this way but I would rather not take the chance and having a bulb here ready to use should the weather turn bad seems a good idea to me. Plus I wont have the added issue of bugs indoors.

Lets see what happens this week
:grin:

Last edited:
Hi mate!

I think she's doing good so far ;) Hopefully the new leaves will show a darker green color as the plant manages to get more nutrients and minerals from the soil mix.

Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye on this one :D

Sweet smokes!

tommy

Macgyver of growing ;) Due with what you got and make it work. Good luck to you bro.

Hi mate!

I think she's doing good so far ;) Hopefully the new leaves will show a darker green color as the plant manages to get more nutrients and minerals from the soil mix.

Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye on this one :D

Sweet smokes!

tommy

Hi Tommy,

Unsure still as to why the yellowing has happened, Its not effected the whole plant or even the whole leaf just one blade from a few leaves. This is why I though at first it could be down to the insects. The far left main blade, the one below that and then the bottom left hand blade is almost 50/50 it seems localized on the plant rather then being allover had the issue been down to needing food.

If it was down to lack of feed, I can only guess the roots have gone strait out to the side of the pot missing / not using most of the soil in the container like it would had I stepped the pot size up like I am used too. I will be interested to see the root ball after harvest will there be a big void in the middle or not. Maybe a step down in pot size would be a little better, but still plenty of time for the plant to fill it yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Macgyver of growing ;) Due with what you got and make it work. Good luck to you bro.

Hey Sauce, Have you ever seen a film by Clint Eastwood called heartbreak ridge? There is one quote from that film I have always tried to live my life by ever since I first heard it.

"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

:thumbs:

So the plant will not be venturing outside again. This poxy UK weather, all it ever does is rain here and with the next 6 out of 7 days showing rain fail I decided it would be better to get another light and keep the plant inside. As I would like more bud then stem at the end. Also was not happy about the bugs I found after it had been outside, I picked up some bug spray today and have treated the plant (why leaves look shiny) So I hope this will be the end of the matter but have to wait and see.

I was meant to be keeping this a cheap operation but have just clocked the £200 mark
:grin: A 300w 2700k light has been ordered and add in my current 150w towards the end of flower and it should work out okay. A lot better then being sat outside in the rain anyway.

So now I know this plant is staying indoors its time for some training in order to get the most out of the light. I had planed to just let it grow naturally outside but think I would see the benefits of some light LST indoors.

Day 15
20140526_142857_zps4a1a1f52.jpg

20140526_142919_zpsf1fcbe57.jpg

20140526_143023_zps0ac9559e.jpg

20140526_143049_zps99e00550.jpg

I have never done this before, so will be interesting to see how it turns out. Though do think it is the right thing to do with such a "weak" light. Looking forward to seeing the first preflowers show.

Yh, welcome to UK summertime!

Lst looks good mate. I found it nerve wracking the first time. Good luck.

Good way to spend a bank-holiday. The end result!

20140526_165401_zps182af27d.jpg

Sounds like we had similar days :) Looking good!!

A little update, I am now at day 32

I started having problems around the 2nd week, but thanks to some helpful members here on this forum this problem now seems to have been taken care of. (may of seen one or two of the below photos in my thread asking for help)

Day 19 not looking to good with leaves starting to turn yellow with rusty spots.

20140530_131241_zps3803442c.jpg

Was advised it was due to my low soil ph locking out nutrient. I top dressed the soil with dolomite lime, feed some cal/mag and a few other things and it seems to have stopped the problems.

Day 23

60e169e3-664f-49db-aaa0-ab57c5146f3d_zps9cfde028.jpg

20140604_144528_zpse79c7ab0.jpg

I removed quite a few leaves in the center to allow the light in along with a few larger fan leaves to enable me to pin down the side branches better as i was running out of room and kept damaging the leaves by poking holes in them trying to pin down branches and move leaves out the way.

1e3eda58-50cc-4f04-9d7c-922bdd1b5e37_zpse021c85a.jpg

This was day 29 I only clipped 6 of the main stems fan leaves and this opened up so much room.

20140609_094525_zpsede83918.jpg

So today, day 32.

A new reflector has now been installed. After buying a 300w 2700k CFL I took delivery and soon realized there was no way to DIY a reflector for this as it is just to heavy. I was surprised with the size of it compared to the 150W CFL So I got a proper reflector for it. I have added a E40 to E27 to allow me to use the 150w 5500k bulb in till the plant finishes stretching then I will switch over.

Its great and fills the whole space up hardly allowing any upwards light to escape at all. Cant wait to install the huge bulb in there.

Pre flowers have started to show the last few days, So another 2-3 weeks more before switching the light over and getting fully into flowering mode. I have visions of how I see the plant ending up, but unsure if it will go to plan but its slowly getting there.

I did not think LST`ing a plant would require so much time, Which I enjoy, every day I spend at least half an hour pinning stuff down or moving leaves about. The plant does look a little flat but I am now hoping the side branches will start to stretch and rise up giving me quite a few tops to work with.

Maybe next time I update there be some clusters of white hairs starting to form :)

Perfect fit,

20140612_142918_zpsb3ff10eb.jpg

20140612_143126_zpse90144a8.jpg

20140612_143034_zps8738ab08.jpg

20140612_142837_zps39ad6a32.jpg

There is quite a bit of metal work underneath holding parts down or out the way.

20140612_155212_zpsd2bfd1fa.jpg

Last edited:
Back