Live Stoners Have you ever over dried your weed?

MrAutoGrower

Learning as I grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
3Wok OG
This has happened to me after a beautiful harvest. I was using the stem snap method for my plants after noticing they lost weight fast despite 60% humidity environment. Most of my buds have lost so much water and pretty much turned into larf. Heart broken is an understatement. I spent 4 months on this grow and expected a 10 day but everything was dehydrated to hell on day 8. I couldn’t manage to finish all the trimming because it was so dry and buds were falling apart. I put the buds into a container and closed it over to improve humidity in hopes it would help the buds but it only got worse. Stems weren’t snapping and the buds looked completely dry to me. I left it until next morning and still a large majority didn’t snap yet the weed was bone dry. Lesson from This is DO NOT trust the snap method. Stick with a moisture meter

Is there any way possible to make them more compact again? Bouncey. I doubt it though but worth asking. I assume it’s normal logic that when it loses too much water that we can’t get it back

This has happened to me after a beautiful harvest. I was using the stem snap method for my plants after noticing they lost weight fast despite 60% humidity environment. Most of my buds have lost so much water and pretty much turned into larf. Heart broken is an understatement. I spent 4 months on this grow and expected a 10 day but everything was dehydrated to hell on day 8. I couldn’t manage to finish all the trimming because it was so dry and buds were falling apart. I put the buds into a container and closed it over to improve humidity in hopes it would help the buds but it only got worse. Stems weren’t snapping and the buds looked completely dry to me. I left it until next morning and still a large majority didn’t snap yet the weed was bone dry. Lesson from This is DO NOT trust the snap method. Stick with a moisture meter

Is there any way possible to make them more compact again? Bouncey. I doubt it though but worth asking. I assume it’s normal logic that when it loses too much water that we can’t get it back
If the stemp don't snap and they weed is dry then stick them into a brown bag for 24 hour and into grovebags then.
This happens me all the time
Sterms should snap as it indicates the outside are dry
If they don't snap then Thier still moisture in them or they would snap if too dry.
Must be moisture still inside the buds I think.
Grove bags will spread out the drying

Glass jar with Boost or Boveda pack should get them back to 58 to 60. I cure in my garage, only place I can. It is often very low humidity.
I’ve been hang drying whole plant 24 hrs. Then break it down to stems and put in paper sacks.
I check the sacks daily, opening, moving around and letting breathe 30 min to an hour. Then putting paper sacks into a plastic trash bag. I can get a 9 or 10 dry this way. I never wait for stems to snap, too dry.

Oh hell yes, I live in the San Joaquin Valley of California and the RH can be ZERO in the summer, so I have overdried. The snap method is risky and never worked for me. Get a wood moisture meter and put the buds into brown paper bags at 13% for a day or two until 11% on the meter then into Grove bags for the cure.

I would use Boost 62s to rehydrate your current buds. They will have lost a lot of the terpenes but will still be good.

ScreenHunter_273 Aug. 10 11.45.jpg

I've always had boveda 62 in case I have overdried and I think if it's that dry there really gonna help you out also as @Mañ'O'Green said the wood meter is a solid cheap tool

moisture meter is the way to go, this said in your current situation what I have done in the past is pull 2 or 3 fresh leaves from a live grow and throw them in with the over dried buds in a sealed bag or jar, never goes back to how it should but it seems to help get some life back in to them.
I used to use Boveda packs but in my view they draw flavours from the plant - they do work but they could reduce what flavours you have remaining.

I only vaporize, so powder dry at time of use is not a concern. (I consider water/humidity an unneeded impurity when dry herb vaping, while those combusting apparently need some water content). But I'd definitely want to rehydrate the buds to, hopefully, get them back on track for curing. If too dry, there will be no curing happening.

I don’t think using a humidity pack will help this. When I say it’s over-dry, I mean the plant material has lost too much water. I don’t think it will help my buds now. Despite the over dry and losing more weight than I should have, jammy dodgers has produced 10oz in the bags that I have checked. There is more of her and I smoked around a half oz. I reckon she yielded me around 11oz. My biggest yield yet. She’d have been heavier if I didn’t fuck up the dry. The buds became loose and Larfy like from over drying. Once I noticed it was over dry, I immediately added a piece of orange peel into a closed container in hopes the buds would bounce up a little bit, but no joy. This is the same kinda thing as a humidity back. THey came so brittle that it became really tough to trim them. I like my buds trimmed right but after this dry it’s impossible because of the lack of water inside the buds. You may be able to see how dry I’m talking here with the photos below.

1B2A0A2B-2D7D-4FF4-A79B-15FBC53D311B.jpeg

879E2490-9FA4-4AD9-804F-90FD02F725B8.jpeg
F67F39A3-D9D7-4A90-B72A-49F476B768DB.jpeg

Steam will work well to hydrate the buds. Similarly, heating the buds in an oven at say >200˚F sealed up with a little bit of water added incrementally will do much the same (and decarb too). But be careful, don't overdo it. Experiment with small samples.

I don't think the looks, street appeal, etc. can be improved much, if at all. But hopefully you can rehydrate the buds, allowing some water to rediffuse back into the bud's dead plant cells, to hopefully get back on track for normal microbial/enzymatic-based curing.

I know how tough it can be to dry weed properly. I've tried doing it myself a few times, but it didn't go well. Once, I ended up with weed that was way too dry and just fell apart, kind of like what happened to you. It's frustrating when you work hard on growing it, and then the drying part ruins everything.

Back