Live Stoners From dense bud to airy

darknight_420

Welcome to the CannaZone
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
This is doing my head in as I never know what the problem is.

I've 2 lights one is PAR+ and I grow photos under it, all buds are rock solid dense nuggets. Not big but I wouldnt want hit in the eye by one!!

My other also a LED jungle which has great coverage but ive used PPFD more with her than wattage and ive been doing autos under it.

The autos are amazing and big donkey cocks, they're rock solid and so hard it seems everything is going well. I come to harvest and I stop watering and left a week and whT was once dense buds has become loose airy shite!

Don't get me wrong there's some nice heads there but what was once is no longer the case now.

What causes dense bud to become airy and they're been no change to enviroment, temps or humidty at all except I've been letting her dry out for hanging

If its something I'm doing and know what it is then I can change, or is it just accept this how autos grow!

I will be swapping LED on next grow so I'll see if that's got anything to do with it

I've 2 lights one is PAR+ and I grow photos under it, all buds are rock solid dense nuggets. Not big but I wouldnt want hit in the eye by one!!

My other also a LED jungle which has great coverage but ive used PPFD more with her than wattage and ive been doing autos under it.

The autos are amazing and big donkey cocks, they're rock solid and so hard it seems everything is going well. I come to harvest and I stop watering and left a week and whT was once dense buds has become loose airy shite!

Don't get me wrong there's some nice heads there but what was once is no longer the case now.

What causes dense bud to become airy and they're been no change to enviroment, temps or humidty at all except I've been letting her dry out for hanging

If its something I'm doing and know what it is then I can change, or is it just accept this how autos grow!

I will be swapping LED on next grow so I'll see if that's got anything to do with it
Maybe when you stopped watering the plant the soil went dry and the lights then messed your buds as plant should of been in darkness from when the soil went dry.
Next time after your last feed let the soil get nearly dry but not fully dry and remove then for the chop to hang in darkness.

I like to harvest on a fully watered girl it helps me slow down the drying process. Why would let her dry in the pot might as well of hung to dry but I don't think that has anything to do with the airy buds. there are a lot of factors that could be a issue. Too much N, improper feeding, Not enough light, spectrum of light, genetics, and this list could go on :shrug: :d5:

Last edited:
Thanks both.

I thought the plant soil had to be dry before hanging to avoid mold etc.. pffft I dunno lol

I used to water and shock with ice for a few days in darkness before chopping but got told I'm increasing the chances of mold.

I guess at the end of the day it's going to be all smokable flower, maybe not the most appealing to the eye but it's still a learning process.

I've 1 amaretto and her buds are bug and dense. So when I'm ready to harvest her in the next week or 2 I'll go back to my old method and see how it fairs

Thanks

This often happens to me. I consider it normal, likely happening more with sativa strains. For ex., the buds look can look like they have seeds, but the spaces/cavities normally occupied by the seeds are empty, making the buds airy.

Such quick conversion from full/hard, likely swollen hard with water, to "airy" buds can only be based on fluid/water loss, with no loss of formed trichomes or deposited cannabinoids. So nothing you want has been lost! [What else could have happened?]. The buds you now have are stronger, more potent, concentrated; and I presume you'll still get good yield/weight.

Dense or non-airy buds just means sepals and their trichomes have fused/gunked together during bud formation. If your bid buds are too 'ugly' for you or your market, this can usually be fixed. Simply manually (com)press each bud together after harvested, press the excess air out and gunk the sepals together. If not familiar with this, try it - it should work with most 'airy' buds. The result of doing this looks perfectly natural - purchasers will not notice.

Thanks @BII youre right about the buds that they look like seed inside but it's not, under loupe they're glistening with trichomes and I'll report back in a week o 10 days about the smoke she gives with weights.

Back