New Grower Hog's First Grow

Hog_M@Gundy

When ya think it cant get no better, then it does!
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey yall, Hog here in great green Illinois. Im new to the community and to mostly new to growing. I recently moved back home from Colorado to recover from some serious medical issues and be closer to family. Im a longtime recreational user, but given my condition, it is now very literally a medicine for me. The insane prices and corporate nature of weed industry here, along with a genuine fascination with how this plant works have made me decide to grow my own.

I've got a 4x4 Mars Hydro Tent with an FCe4800 on the way. Decided on an organic grow in a living soil using FFOF and Natures Living Soil. Planning on running 4 or 5 plants (5 Plants is the state limit) in 5 or 7 gallon pots. As far as genetics, I haven't orderd my seeds yet, so I'm open to suggestions. I'd like 2 or 3 indica,1 solid hybrid, and 1 solid sativa. My plan at the moment would be to get CDLC, Samsquanch OG, and either double grape or forum stomper from Meph, Star Spangled Banner and Galaxy Brain from Night Owl.

I'll be posting updates and I'm sure asking a bunch of questions. Super excited to get started on this and be a part of this badass Cannabis subculture. Happy growing folks!

@Mañ'O'Green Thanks for welcoming me. I suffer from pain, nausea, loss of appetite and resulting malnutrition and insomnia from Chronic pancrratitis. Definitely need some good pain relief and had almost forgotten that I planned on growing a 1:1 CBD strain. Just checked my order tracking from Mars Hydro and it should be here tomorrow! Haven't been this excited about something for quite awhile

Whassup Hog and Welcome!

Sounds like you're on the right track with setup and seeds plan. For seed specifics my $.02 - make a small order first. all these companies send a bunch of freebies with every order, the pack sizes are usually more than you need, new stuff comes out all the time, etc. you end up with A LOT of seeds.

you also end up needing more doodads and gizmos and equipment and stuff, so from a budget perspective try to build in some float.

I just checked and it is back in stock. One of the best 1:1 THC:CBD autos I have grown is the 207 Genetics Purple Kush CBD Auto.

207genetics.net

:goodluck:

Hello new growfriend! Good luck with everything. I highly recommend a pH tester and an EC/ppm tester. I know you're going organic but being able to test your water is very helpful. Good tools last many grows, spend the $$ on the pH pen, an inexpensive EC meter is fine.

Also that @Marshydro FCe-4800, fantastic light. I have one myself and I love it. I would look into some rope ratchets for the corners. The steel cable hangers work but you cannot raise the light to the top of the tent with the way they are arranged. It will make more sense when you assemble it.

this is the max height you can raise it with the included cables and ratchet hangers. You can attach ratchets to each corner eyelet. Yes, it's a little trickier to raise/lower as you have to hit all 4 but! You can pull it to the top!

P1030885.JPG

It will take some finaigleing but you can fit this color rope ratchet around the MH tent bars. I got 4 off Amazon. Rope Ratchet brand light hanger. Worth a couple extra $$ over the no-brand knockoffs.

Amazon product

EDIT: You cannot clip it around the bar, you have to disconnect and slide it on from the end. It does fit around it.
P1030882.JPG

You do have to tie one knot for the attachment point.

P1030883.JPG

Hello new growfriend! Good luck with everything. I highly recommend a pH tester and an EC/ppm tester. I know you're going organic but being able to test your water is very helpful. Good tools last many grows, spend the $$ on the pH pen, an inexpensive EC meter is fine.

Also that @Marshydro FCe-4800, fantastic light. I have one myself and I love it. I would look into some rope ratchets for the corners. The steel cable hangers work but you cannot raise the light to the top of the tent with the way they are arranged. It will make more sense when you assemble it.

this is the max height you can raise it with the included cables and ratchet hangers. You can attach ratchets to each corner eyelet. Yes, it's a little trickier to raise/lower as you have to hit all 4 but! You can pull it to the top!

View attachment 1471013

It will take some finaigleing but you can fit this color rope ratchet around the MH tent bars. I got 4 off Amazon. Rope Ratchet brand light hanger. Worth a couple extra $$ over the no-brand knockoffs.

Amazon product

EDIT: You cannot clip it around the bar, you have to disconnect and slide it on from the end. It does fit around it.
View attachment 1471014

You do have to tie one knot for the attachment point.

View attachment 1471019

Thanks for the advice. I had seen something about this in a review of the light/tent when I bought it, and this is exactly the info I needed! It just got delivered an hour ago. If I've got the energy after work tonight ill get it setup and post some pics for everyone. Appreciate the warm welcome from yall

Hey Hog, welcome to the forums and good luck on your next grow.

From this week's drop I would go for Creme De Le Chem and Forum Stomper. CDLC is really one of the Mephisto flag ship strains right now that everyone seems to love. She is really strong and could offer some medical benefits there, she also is known for wild color expression and fade that makes it fun to grow. Forum Stomper is the classic girl scout cookie strain, this is a more balanced and sedative high for you.

There are some better medical strains in the catalogue like strawberry nuggets, 24 Carat, Canna Cheese, Livers bx that you should keep an eye out for. Don't have my calendar on me atm to see when those might be available.

Back