Hops terpenes

VitaMan

Clean Glass + New Whip
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Island Sweet Skunk, Comatose, el Chapo, and others.
When researching terpene sources, hops stood out as one of the richer sources of myrcene. I like beer and ale, but I couldn't imagine smoking hops.

Then I learned about Cryo Hops, from Tacoma. It is concentrated lupuline, sort of like kief but from hops. Only $6 an ounce seemed like a no-brainer for experimentation. I chose a Citra strain based on myrcene content.

First up, tea. OMG it smelled like a great IPA, but so bitter. It was hard to sip on it, by the time I was half-way it had cooled enouph that I chugged it. Yuck.

That was before I made supper, which we ate 2 hours ago. The bitter taste still lingers. I vaped the same sativa I had yesterday and I do think the high is different and stronger, but the bitterness....

I will try capsules, but I suspect the myrcene effects have to do with olfactory and gustatory factors, like eating fresh mangoes.

I thought of vaping it mixed with weed. The boiling point of the bitter Alpha acids, is over 500°C and I vape at 201 so it might work.

Thoughts?

I decided to mix a tiny bit of lupuline into a load of the same sativa.
Certainly the high has been modified, but because I experimented yesterday I don't know if I can sufficiently describe it, except the usualy active effects from the strain have become more relaxed.

The taste, however, was not at all bitter. I was right about the alpha acids. It took over the flavor of the cannabis and tasted a bit like beer, minus the yeast, malt, and bitters. Pleasant, but I might use less next time.

I have some very bland zombie kush from a government source. I will give a few days without hops. On a fresh baseline I will vape a bowl of just zombie as my reference point. The next day my first vape will have the hops concentrate so that I can compare.

Notes_230118_174036_13a.png

CITRA whole hops is about 3٪ terpenes. This is just the glands like trichomes, separated with dry ice like some kinds of hash. This might be 8-10% terps.

No doubt that the caryophyllene and linalool contributed to the effects.

Personally as a recreational user, I have no need for more terpenes beyond what is needed for concierge/synergistic effects with THC/cannabinoids, with sufficient amounts generally in untreated buds. I presume many have experimented in recent decades, and that we'd all know by now, it'd be common knowledge, if adding specific terpenes had significant benefits.

I tend towards the view that there are already enough terpenes, sometimes too much (any amount more than needed), in essentially all non-stale buds; and many reformulating/processing herb, such as doing extractions and then adding terpenes, go overboard and add too much. After a certain point, what's needed or desired for concierge/synergistic effects (or aroma, if that is what is sought), essentially all terpenes act a irritants, something most ignore.

I eagerly await commercial marketing of scientifically studied terpene supplements to boost or modify THC/cannabinoid effects, including inhalation safety/toxicology studies and clinical studies of efficacy.

Back