Sativas for this summer, and a few autos

AltheGardener

Qualified Live Stoner
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Taj
Greetings and happy Spring!

This year I am growing a mixed seed pack of Sativas from Ace Seeds. Last year, after successfully growing and cloning Tajikistani Hash plants plus a few Indica dominant autos, I realized to my horror that the powdery mildew in this area is not going to be eradicated. I knew this from growing flowering perennials for decades but really wasn't thinking about the spillover. Indicas being generally prone to PM. It didn't start until around late July but it was impossible to kill, from more natural sprays to peroxide based sprays...the BT did cut it back by quite a degree but I've decided it's not worth the effort. I had to wash all the buds from the last Taj plants in peroxide, they cured fine and taste fine, but I'd just rather not have to bother. Besides, I'd prefer a little more 'headiness' in my smoke.

Researched the most PM resistant strains, usually those growing in the same type of environment in the wild as we have here in MI, which turns out to be valleys in Asia who experience snowy winters, albeit shorter than ours (although global warming is evening out that metric), and damp humid autumns.

Started these seeds two weeks ago Wednesday, all germinated expect four.
I've got them in cactus soil, which is very good, organic, and fantastically well-draining. I'll be putting them in holes with half aged compost (a pile I started four years ago), half native soil. The Tai Chi is going in a five gallon pot.

I had some free auto seeds from Fastbuds they wanted us to trial, but every single seed sprouted strangely, curled like corkscrews, and eventually died. Could this be from irradiation during shipping? No idea, but of nine seeds over three different attempts none of them survived. It was a shame. I should have about five Northern Lights and maybe a Widow or two, will keep them in my new grow room in the garage.

My primo seed is a Tai Chi, and I only have one, so send positive vibes, as she's the one I really want to grow this year, and take some clones. This strain has a green pheno and a red-leaved pheno, we'll see which one I end up with.

THC 16 %
CBD Below 0.1
CBG 0.7 %
Flowering indoors - 10-11 weeks
Flowering outdoors - End of October
Yield - High
Resistance against spider mites Average-High
Resistance against powder mildew High
Resistance against botrytis High
Resistance against white fly Average-High
Resistance against cold High
Resistance against heat High
Latitude 0º-45º
Genetics - Thai Chiang Mai x Kali China elite (F4).
Structure - It grows robust, compact and with broad indica leaves in its first weeks of life, to later develop a tall and large extremely vigorous sativa structure, with a strong, capricious and irregular branching, as occurs with some thai sativas.
Bouquet - Sour grapes and astringent bitter lemon in the foreground, then earthy with spicy notes of onion/garlic, and cured wood, incense, chocolate, green tea, mint and lime of classic Thai flavour, with a blackcurrant flavour lingering in the mouth as an aftertaste.
High - Moderate/high potency of excellent mood enhancing sativa qualities: clean, cerebral, active, sociable and positive, without producing paranoia or edginess. Visual distortions and pleasant physical tingling sensations. Excellent to meditate since it produces a balanced and enlightened introspection.
Terpene profile - It mainly contains the following monoterpenes: high amounts of beta myrcene and variability in the high presence of terpinolene, followed by smaller amounts of alpha pinene, beta pinene, limonene and trans ocimene. Sesquiterpenes: mainly beta-caryophyllene, followed by smaller amounts of alpha-humelene and variability in the presence of lower amounts of guaiol and bisabolol.
Growing Tip -It can easily be grown indoors with strong light intensity and with enough space for its development.
Very suitable for SOG crops due to its great yield in the main cola, or for SCROG, horizontal or network growing due to its excellent yield in the lateral branches and its vigorous reaction to pruning.
Outdoors it can be grown up to latitude 45º, both in warm weathers and in climates where the flowering can take place with cold and rains.
Outdoors and with a longer growing stage is when this hybrid develops its extreme vigor and huge yields. We recommend moderate levels of nutrients for the whole cycle.

Last edited:
Here are the sativas and my Tai Chi after about two weeks up. There are two NL autos in this group but both are very slow and very small still. I'm running 18/6 lighting until they start putting on some growth, should be next week.
(In case you're wondering, that's dog hair I'm using for insta-mulch, lol)
Got them in the front room with the woodstove and a whole house air purifier, great heat and great circulation so far.

These are vastly different than any of the Indicas I've grown. Should be a whole different type of effect, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200423_125224.jpg
    IMG_20200423_125224.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 78
  • taichi423.jpg
    taichi423.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200423_125209.jpg
    IMG_20200423_125209.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 74
A note on flowering these gals
I'll be growing these out doors and taking clones to flower in my new grow room. Clones flower heavier and denser indoors than straight from seed, because the seed plants have tap roots that need room to move, and the clones will be concentrating foremost on reproducing and flowering.
I'll take from the ones that show the most promise, hopefully the tai chi will be my go-to.

That Tai Chi sounds really interesting, hope you get the red pheno.

Are you going to let the outdoor ones go into their natural shape or do some training with them? Would be great to be able to let them turn into 9ft monsters :)

Tai Chi is by Ace. She's looking really nice right now. At $15 a seed, she better. lol
I was looking at some growers in some remote valley of Oregon, all organic. Those things are like frasier fir xmas trees, holy hell. They are getting between 12-15 pounds PER PLANT. Insane.
Anyway the seed grown ones will go outside, their clones will be flowered indoors. You get much much greater yield flowering the clones indoors because they don't have the taproot, so all the effort is going upward instead of down. The seed plants should be huge floppy monsters by October, scrawny sativa style not big fluffy indica, but I'm good with that. lol

Here's a weird one> Last fall I tossed out a seeded plant after I stripped off all the seeds, or so I thought. Took the plant out front and dumped it into the compost near the flower bed. We haven't had any nights above 45 degrees yet, and only a few days in the 60s. AND YET, I found two of these little troopers sprouted and started their second set of leaves, in the garden, outdoors, in freaking cold weather.
I may have produced some tough little northern latitude Indicas here. LMAO

So much for my seed starting heat mat and regulated germination environment.

IMG_20200505_140213.jpg

Last edited:
Back