How bad are pests really?

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m doing a small auto flower grow outside in Michigan to see if I want to go bigger next summer. That said. My plants are getting eaten but I’m having trouble nailing down the culprit. I’ve managed to reduce the impact I think, and there isn’t an obvious infestation of any sort, so it got me thinking. Am I worrying way too much about a few bite marks and missing leaf tips? Because if this is an issue I can’t imagine how anyone grows outside.
thanks!!

Hey all. I’m doing a small auto flower grow outside in Michigan to see if I want to go bigger next summer. That said. My plants are getting eaten but I’m having trouble nailing down the culprit. I’ve managed to reduce the impact I think, and there isn’t an obvious infestation of any sort, so it got me thinking. Am I worrying way too much about a few bite marks and missing leaf tips? Because if this is an issue I can’t imagine how anyone grows outside.
thanks!!
Neem oil is the best for me u should try it out

I grow outside in Michigan. Caterpillars I pick off when I see them. When a plant is in full flower I have to check for bugs that will get into the bud and eat and crap which leads to bud rot. I haven't seen any aphids yet but they get bad later in the season and I blast them off with a spray from a hose with a high pressure nozzle.

I will use Neem oil early in the grow but stop long before buds start building. I don't like the residue it leaves on the plants and as far as aphids I haven't seen it do anything to aphid infestations.

I don't spray insecticides in my grow area but I do spray my entire yard with a broad spectrum insecticide as I am located in a forest area on a small island loaded with all kinds of insects but one of the worst is earwigs. They will feed in moist areas at night.

Do earwigs eat cannabis? I’ve seen more than usual amounts of them this year, not really near my plants, just a general observation.

I guess I’m just wondering how much of a war I need to turn this into. Lol.

Do earwigs eat cannabis? I’ve seen more than usual amounts of them this year, not really near my plants, just a general observation.

I guess I’m just wondering how much of a war I need to turn this into. Lol.

Yup. And roly polys. And crickets can suck too. Haven’t had too much of an issue with the earwigs on my outdoor canna plants this year. Because…. I was having this crazy issue with my pepper plants in spring. Brown spots, wilted leaves. Could not figure it out. At one point I thought my ground soil was contaminated. I grow my veggies in the ground. Then one day, early morning, I’m seeing a lot of earwigs. Nah! Not earwigs. Besides I never see them on the plants.

So, just on a whim, I go out that night after dark with my flashlight. Every f’ing pepper plant is covered in earwigs. Just swarming and chowing down. And roly polys around the stem bases. Freaked me out.

Anyway I got them under control using spinosad pellets. And I make it a habit to sprinkle a few in the pots my outdoor canna are in now.

As far as other insects. I see chew marks. I usually spray with a neem/peppermint castile soap spray for a bit. And then switch to Dr. Zymes. Keeps it in control but not total eradication.

Earwigs really come out when there is plenty of rain like the last week in Michigan.

I have found earwigs eating buds before. They will eat certain garden plants and flowers.

"earwigs eat ornamental and vegetable plants, particularly dahlias, zinnias, butterfly bush, hollyhocks, lettuce, strawberries, potatoes, roses, and seedling beans and beets, as well as the silk of sweet corn. In gardens and greenhouses, they chew irregularly shaped holes in plant leaves and flower petals, tunnel into flower buds, and also consume seedlings."

"Earwigs are nocturnal; they hide in cool, moist places during the day and feed at night. Earwig damage mimics damage from caterpillars and slugs, so be sure you've identified the real culprits by checking for feeding earwigs on your plants after dark."

Back