Nutrients Is Weed Bad For Your Lungs? The Truth

thefoggyforest

New User
Reaction score
According to the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “Cigarette smoking is the number one risk factor for lung cancer. In the United States, cigarette smoking is linked to about 80% to 90% of lung cancer deaths.”
But what about smoking weed? The National Academies of Science, one of the leading resources for current research into the benefits and risks of cannabis use determined, “no statistical association between cannabis use and incidence of lung cancer” and no statistical association between cannabis use and incidence of head and neck cancers.”
No matter how much you smoke weed, there is little to no risk of developing cancers of the respiratory tract. Even beyond the lungs, this also covers cancers of the gum, mouth, neck and head.
But, you may want to know a small detail. The National Academies of Science report published in 2017 did find cannabis consumption may slightly increase the risk of a rare testicular cancer called Non-seminoma-type testicular cancer.
What About Other Respiratory Illnesses?
max-kleinen-9J5Ohbk97NY-unsplash-2048x1367.jpg

So if respiratory cancers are not a concern, what about other respiratory issues? Here is where it gets complicated. Cannabis seems to improve lung function, but smoking weed leads to an increased risk of certain problematic conditions under some circumstances.
First, more of the good news. As per the 2017 report, the acute use of cannabis helps improve airway functions, which means that short term smoking may actually help your breathing capacity.
This benefit may come down to cannabis’ powerful anti-inflammatory benefits. The researchers did not find this same positive association with chronic use. If you smoke every day, you could encounter some issues.
There is a strong connection between smoking weed chronically (i.e. every day) and an increased risk for bronchial infection. As they stated, daily weed smokers can expect “Worse respiratory symptoms and more frequent chronic bronchitis episodes.”
As you inhale fine-cannabis particulate in every puff of smoke, some of this organic material settles on the interior of your lungs. In response, your body produces more phlegm in an effort to protect the sensitive tissues of your lungs. Over time, the phlegm builds up, with more smoke particles layered on top, to create the perfect environment for bacteria to take hold. Chronic bronchial infections are common among daily smokers.
How do you know if you are suffering from cannabis-smoke-related respiratory issues? Do you smoke daily and now experience some of the following symptoms:
  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Excess phlegm
  • Tight chest
  • Difficulty taking big inhales
If so, it may be time for a break — which leads back to the good news. The researchers also discovered that the easiest way to reduce this risk was to take a break. As soon as cannabis consumers stopped smoking weed, their chronic respiratory issues went away as the phlegm and outside irritants dissipated.

Author Detail:
Frank Forest completed his education at Simon Fraser University’s Business Program. Frank saw a gap in the market for high-quality cannabis vape pens in Canada back in 2017. He founded The Foggy Forest to give Canadians access to safe recreational and medicinal cannabis alternatives. Products on The Foggy Forest are made with love and has a very passionate customer base. They are known to provide some of the best customer service in the business.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMPO = Bro-science anything you breath in other than fresh clean air is bad for you. That said life is a terminal disease and cannabis relieves pain, reduces inflammation and gets you high. So in my mind it is a trade off. I quit smoking tobacco 50 years ago and cannabis 30 years ago. I don't do combustion but I do dabs. Uhm concentrates are probably not good for my lungs :shrug: . I also do medibles but waiting two hour to get high is not fast enough when I want a buzz.

Dabs.png

So the guy with a business degree is doing medical research that supports his vape shop? Interesting research but nary a mention of particle inhalation inflammatory responses like sarcoid.

Smoke and vapors are nano-paticles

Back