Low temperature plasma and germination. Poor mans sciency type stuff,

Corum59

Usually Photo's, now trying Auto's
Reaction score
this seems like the right place for DIY science....

So, a couple of weeks back I came across an article on the web. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cold-plasma-agriculture-sustainable-farms-fertilizer

and there was a particular part that I found interesting:

"Recently, Volkov set out to study how plasma would affect 20 seeds of dragon’s-tongue, a cultivar of the bush bean Phaseolus vulgaris. The experiment was low-tech. He and colleagues balanced the seeds on a plasma ball for one minute each, then incubated the seeds in water for seven hours. Two days later, the scientists found that in plasma-treated seeds, the radicle — the little protrusion of root that makes a seed a seedling — measured 2.7 centimeters, compared with 1.8 centimeters in untreated seeds, a gain of 50 percent. The team reported the results in Functional Plant Biology in February 2021"

Which in turn led me to flicking through a dozen or so real science papers on the subject. Most of which indicated that 3-6 minutes in a cold temp plasma was a good range.

Anyway... after a little digging in old toy boxes of my son I found a 20yr old plasma ball (12V, 830mA, 8VA), pulled out some 4yr old seeds, (home grown Royal Queen hybrids)
1 control, 1x3mins, 1x4mins, 1x6 mins, let we say that holding seeds on to a glass dome is boring as hell.

Old plasma lamp the seed center and attraction to finger full attraction finger and seed
1IMG_20230824_150340_802.jpg1IMG_20230824_150627.jpg1IMG_20230824_151522_329.jpg1IMG_20230824_152226_344.jpg

the reason I held them in place was, sitting a seed on top did not appear to attract the attention of the plasma streams, however, lightly holding the seed in place brought all the plasma stream directly to the spot. finger on the seed not on the glass bowl.

I then dropped the treated seeds and a control seed in a germination dish with a couple of pads and 10ml distilled water.

24hours later
nothing happening

48 hours went by:
3mins 4mins 6mins
48-3mins.jpg48-4mins.jpg48-6mins.jpg48-control.jpg48h.jpg
control

63hrs later:

3mins 4mins 6mins control
63h-3mins.jpg63h-4mins.jpg63h-6mins.jpg63h-control.jpg

Nothing at all definitive about this rather childish experiment, but the 4min and 6min (4mins in particular) treatment does fall in line with some of the papers I glanced through.

I then, grabbed 4 paper party cups, threw in 70gms of potting soil in each, dropped in the control seed, 3min seed, 4min and 6min seedlings, added 10ml of distilled water, covered with a little saran wrap, and will see what happens. I dont have my tent and lights setup, so this experiment is going on the windowsill.

I have found that dropping a "O" ring on top of the bowl and placing the seeds inside the ring is effective for more seeds, and holding a metal object (with a clamp stand) a few mm above the seeds seems to maintain the attraction of the plasma. far better than holding them in place with a finger for 4-6 minutes.

This effect might be worth looking into for anyone with the time, seeds and willing to be all sciency about the stuff.

I do wish that I had the seeds, space, time and funds to run a larger experiment... but... such is life, living in a city in the EU lowlands doesnt allow for such possibilities..

I would expect that 10-20+ of each, control, 3-4-6 min, in a controlled environment, and running a full "solo cup" comparison grow with auto seeds from the same batch would offer up a more tangible results.

So, I have concluded that 4yr old, dried up "photo's" seeds are not the best way for this experiment... :baked:

Last edited:
Last edited:
My recent seeds germinated in 36hrs using micro elctro antennas, just funnelling the Aether directly into the seed and its medium. If you're interested in Plasma and Plasmoid Technology you might find this interesting ;)

Thanks for the link, that stuff is way beyond my interest thb.

I think I may have had a glance at your grow, copper coils in the soil, either side of the seed? was that you?

this is s 40hr shot, the first show of a shoot on the 4 min seed. i thought it was ok for old seeds ;-) 36hrs sounds great.

Attachments

• 40-4mins.jpg
    40-4mins.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Thanks for the link, that stuff is way beyond my interest thb.

I think I may have had a glance at your grow, copper coils in the soil, either side of the seed? was that you?

this is s 40hr shot, the first show of a shoot on the 4 min seed. i thought it was ok for old seeds ;-) 36hrs sounds great.
Yeah that's me copper coil tesla :crying:

looks like the 6 minute seed is leading the way on growth... I tried to set them all about the same depth so maybe we have a sprinter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_151828_352.jpg
    IMG_20230828_151828_352.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230828_151922_878.jpg
    IMG_20230828_151922_878.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 10
4mins and 6mins pop above the soil... so at least I didnt break the taproot, a big plus for heavy handed me.

East facing windows in my apartment, not good for growing anything to be honest, i can look across the plein and see a guys auto's on his balcony getting sun all day... ah, envy is a terrible thing :baked:

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_085453.jpg
    IMG_20230829_085453.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
4mins and 6mins pop above the soil... so at least I didnt break the taproot, a big plus for heavy handed me.

East facing windows in my apartment, not good for growing anything to be honest, i can look across the plein and see a guys auto's on his balcony getting sun all day... ah, envy is a terrible thing :baked:
next morning, no sun of course... funny how that happens every time seeds pop, ah well.

4 mins and 6mins..stretching for a none existent sun, the control and 3mins are as inert as one might expect from 4yr old seeds.

If any breeders who want to mess with this bit of fun,and do a proper experiment I think the plan should be something like:

1x 30cm plasma disk (200 or so Euro ( 'cos its flat and the seeds dont roll all over))
100 pack solo cups
70 auto seeds
soil and perlite/rockwool/coco starters etc

10 control.
10 lightly sanded (as suggested by bobsauto's)
10@ 3 mins
10@ 4mins
10@ 6 mins
10@ 8mins
10@ 10mins

mix soil and perlite, fill all solo cups to same weight,
once the plasma action is done, seed all pots/cubes etc with seed at same depth.
water measured amount to each seed.

I guess any variation for growers own practices are great too, Then sit back and roll a bone. :baked:

IMG_20230830_084113.jpg

Hey guys,

So since I'm starting a run any way, I might as well have some fun and do a little experiment.
I prepared 5 bags with each 16 seeds, why 16...Well that's because that's the maximum amount of 3.5L pots I can fit inside my little tent.
1693429613182 _small.jpg

Playing around with the plasma ball I found that adding a grounded piece of aluminum attracted the plasma beams one by one to the spot closest to the aluminum. I also stuck a small 2cm/1inch diameter leather grommet to the glass as to aid in the prevention of seedloss...
1693429613203 _small.jpg

Testing the setup. A look from below...
1693429613209 _small.jpg

Carefully I place the 16 seeds inside the leather ring and placed the aluminum above it, actually I shoved the entire plasma ball aside under the aluminum. This way I didn't have to touch the ground and the distance to the seeds would remain the same.
1693429613196 _small.jpg

Each pack of seeds got their treatment according to the time on the package and then, carefully, the seeds got deposited back in to their said pouches.
1693429613214 _small.jpg

After taking the time to carefully expose the seeds to the plasma it was time to get a germination plate ready...
  • First the plate gets wiped with some ISO
  • Each cotton pad gets 15ml demineralized water
  • Each cotton pad gets 5 drops of H²O²
  • Two pads per packed of sixteen seeds
1693429613156 _small.jpg

The only seeds that were kept far away from the plasma ball...
1693429613178 _small.jpg

One minute exposure
1693429613174 _small.jpg

Five minutes exposure
1693429613161 _small.jpg

Ten minutes exposure.
1693429613169 _small.jpg

Fifteen minutes exposure.
1693429613165 _small.jpg

All seeds got topped with another cotton pad. Which in turn got soaked with 15ml of demi water and 5 drops of H²O². Then the plate got covered with microwave foil and placed inside the tent on top of the heatpad which had been warming up the minute I started the experiment 👌
A temperature/humidity probe lies against the plate to measure the values correctly.
1693429613150 _small.jpg

Now we wait 24, 36 and 48 hours to see what the count is and to find out if there's some truth to this story :wiz:

Hey guys,

So since I'm starting a run any way, I might as well have some fun and do a little experiment.
I prepared 5 bags with each 16 seeds, why 16...Well that's because that's the maximum amount of 3.5L pots I can fit inside my little tent.
View attachment 1627971

Playing around with the plasma ball I found that adding a grounded piece of aluminum attracted the plasma beams one by one to the spot closest to the aluminum. I also stuck a small 2cm/1inch diameter leather grommet to the glass as to aid in the prevention of seedloss...
View attachment 1627972

Testing the setup. A look from below...
View attachment 1627978

Carefully I place the 16 seeds inside the leather ring and placed the aluminum above it, actually I shoved the entire plasma ball aside under the aluminum. This way I didn't have to touch the ground and the distance to the seeds would remain the same.
View attachment 1627974

Each pack of seeds got their treatment according to the time on the package and then, carefully, the seeds got deposited back in to their said pouches.
View attachment 1627975

After taking the time to carefully expose the seeds to the plasma it was time to get a germination plate ready...
  • First the plate gets wiped with some ISO
  • Each cotton pad gets 15ml demineralized water
  • Each cotton pad gets 5 drops of H²O²
  • Two pads per packed of sixteen seeds
View attachment 1627979

The only seeds that were kept far away from the plasma ball...
View attachment 1627980

One minute exposure
View attachment 1627981

Five minutes exposure
View attachment 1627982

Ten minutes exposure.
View attachment 1627983

Fifteen minutes exposure.
View attachment 1627984

All seeds got topped with another cotton pad. Which in turn got soaked with 15ml of demi water and 5 drops of H²O². Then the plate got covered with microwave foil and placed inside the tent on top of the heatpad which had been warming up the minute I started the experiment 👌
A temperature/humidity probe lies against the plate to measure the values correctly.
View attachment 1627985

Now we wait 24, 36 and 48 hours to see what the count is and to find out if there's some truth to this story :wiz:

Nice work bob's Auto's, and the aluminium looks to be working very well thats a great looking attraction point... I hope you get some fairly definitive results.

looks like the required power of the plasma for activating water is waaay above a lamp :baked:

While you are waiting you might want to use that aluminium rod to activate some water and run a side test.
Touching the aluminium conducter to the globe will discharge at the opposite end, ( you can smell and feel the discharge if you get your finger too close) ;-)

maybe if you have a PPM meter you can try distilled and tap water and compare.

Peanut sprouts have recently been reported to be rich in some nutrients, including vitamin C, resveratrol, antioxidants, and folate, and are consumed as functional food. However, the effect of indirect plasma treatment, such as plasma-activated water (PAW), on the germination rate and growth of peanut remains largely unknown. Here, we evaluated the effect of PAW produced using a surface dielectric barrier discharge (SDBD) device on germination and vegetative growth in peanut. SDBD-generated PAW had significantly higher nitrate content than tap water (TW). Compared with the TW group, PAW treatment increased the germination rate of peanut seeds by more than twofolds at 3 days after planting; however, there was no significant difference in final germination rate between the PAW and TW groups at 7 days after seeding. In addition, PAW treatment significantly improved biomass-related morphological traits in peanut sprout compared with TW treatment. At the cellular level, PAW treatment increased cell size in the hypocotyl in both the horizontal (115%) and longitudinal (209%) directions, resulting in increased hypocotyl growth. Moreover, histological analysis showed that PAW treatment significantly enlarged parenchyma cell size in hypocotyl pith tissue but did not affect cell number. Overall, these results showed that PAW treatment improved seed germination and growth by enlarging parenchyma and epidermal cell size in hypocotyl, resulting in increased biomass in peanut sprouts. QRT–PCR results showed that auxin response and growth-related genes (AhARF5, AhIAA13, SAUR32, AhGI-13, AhGI-75, AhCUC3-12, and AhCUC3-65) were upregulated in the PAW treated condition at 6 days compared to the TW treated sprouts.

Last edited:
Back