Photography Macro pics of trichomes on AFN, is there a way to take those on the cheap?

mack

New User
Reaction score
Have seen some great pictures many of you have posted of your trichome-laden buds and was wondering if there was a way of taking shots like that without spending a lot of money. If I got a body-only dslr camera at Amazon (some are for less than or around $100), a cheap lens for it (not sure what lens that would be, or the cost), a Macro extension tube ($13), a reverse ring kit, etc. could I get good shots, similar but not exactly as good as the bud shots here on AFN? I’m a point-and-shoot guy who basically knows nothing about photography and learned about extension tubes, reverse rings etc. from looking into a way to do macro shots that I could afford. But it’s all confusing to me, and thought I’d give the question a try here. Thanks in advance for any help, even if it comes down to the consensus being you can't really take macro pics on the cheap.

Only posted one other time here, a question months ago. It was about an Autoflower seed I bought from Ilovegrowingmarijuana‘s website, an Amnesia Haze seed, that never started flowering on it’s own. It was my first ever grow and I knew nothing. Posted the question about what to do and several of you said go to 12 hours of light on, 12 off ( they were on 18/6 up to then) so I tried that, and in two days it started flowering, so thanks for that...I never got back here to thank those of you who solved the problem I was having.

I bought seeds from two places initially, the ILGM site and Mephisto Genetics. My Mephisto seeds have all been excellent, all so far have sprouted. I plan to order again from MG when their U.S. site is back open for business on Jan. 6th. Even as busy as they were at Mephisto during and right after Black Friday, they took the time to answer two of my emails. MG’s has first-rate customer service to go along with their first-rate autoflower seeds, in my book. Damn, I hope you guys and gals didn’t buy up all their new seed strains on Black Friday!

Scopes can be had for as little as 99p that stick onto fones.
Good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:

Have seen some great pictures many of you have posted of your trichome-laden buds and was wondering if there was a way of taking shots like that without spending a lot of money. If I got a body-only dslr camera at Amazon (some are for less than or around $100), a cheap lens for it (not sure what lens that would be, or the cost), a Macro extension tube ($13), a reverse ring kit, etc. could I get good shots, similar but not exactly as good as the bud shots here on AFN? I’m a point-and-shoot guy who basically knows nothing about photography and learned about extension tubes, reverse rings etc. from looking into a way to do macro shots that I could afford. But it’s all confusing to me, and thought I’d give the question a try here. Thanks in advance for any help, even if it comes down to the consensus being you can't really take macro pics on the cheap.

Only posted one other time here, a question months ago. It was about an Autoflower seed I bought from Ilovegrowingmarijuana‘s website, an Amnesia Haze seed, that never started flowering on it’s own. It was my first ever grow and I knew nothing. Posted the question about what to do and several of you said go to 12 hours of light on, 12 off ( they were on 18/6 up to then) so I tried that, and in two days it started flowering, so thanks for that...I never got back here to thank those of you who solved the problem I was having.

I bought seeds from two places initially, the ILGM site and Mephisto Genetics. My Mephisto seeds have all been excellent, all so far have sprouted. I plan to order again from MG when their U.S. site is back open for business on Jan. 6th. Even as busy as they were at Mephisto during and right after Black Friday, they took the time to answer two of my emails. MG’s has first-rate customer service to go along with their first-rate autoflower seeds, in my book. Damn, I hope you guys and gals didn’t buy up all their new seed strains on Black Friday!

I just use my phone. With 2x zoom and an editing app
Lumii_20191215_200657703_compress5.jpg

With my USB microscope from Amazon attached with a OTG cable and editing app. Cost $20 and OTG adapter was like $4.

Lumii_20191217_201644547_compress69.jpg

I'm not into photography enough to buy an expensive standalone camera when I have a $600 phone already lol.

This is the best i can do, pulled adjustment lens out of old microscope
5F2BCDB7-5C49-4C7C-9BE1-611A8DA3E387.jpeg

your thinking right with equipment....however you are not thinking about it being practical. I find using extension rings, reverse rings etc , tedious at best. Those are great when you have a area, tri-pod..etc set up and can get everything adjusted for a "photoshoot" . Big learning curve to get things right when using add-ons. I would suggest a dedicated Prime macro lens, I do not know what camera body you have, but every maker has a dedicated line of macro lens, or even a multi-use lens with macro option, and there are other companies that make macro lenses to fit your camera that can compete with brand name glass., such as Tamaron, Tokina, Sigma. It really is all about the glass.

nikon body...with prime 90mm tamaron 2.2f ,

DSC_8985.jpg
P1010080-2.jpg
DSC_8902.jpg
P1010151-3.jpg

Back