New grow.. Watering question

Reaction score
So this is my 5th or so grow and prob my last if I mess it up.. Again.. Ive always seemed to over water.. And then get lock out and just end up with buds that look bad and don't smell great.. I'm using 5gal air pots with palgron light mix soil... My question is how much do I water a seedling... When should I give them there first big watering and how much??.. To run off? Just before run off??.. And what's the best ph I know between 6-7 but some say 6.2 some say 6.8?

You water underneath and around the seedling. In a little circle. That circle should barely cover the outside of the leaves. You don't need much at all in the seedling stage. Definitely no where near run off. After the leaves have reached the edge of the pot or farther, then you can start watering the entire pot. Whether or not you water until run off depends of the type of nutrients you are using. If they are based, water to about 15% run off. If organic. No run off is needed. The watering rule I use is the 10% rule. Which is 1 gallon of water for every 10 gallons of soil.. So once your leaves have grown past the pots edges, water with a half gallon per 5gal pot every other day or so or as needed... Every nutrient is absorbed at a different ph.. That's why they have "ph ranges" and not a set number. Here is a chart for soil.
soilPhChart.gif

As you can see, there is no set number.

Got chat. And when should I start feeding.. Do I wait until I see defs happening or?

Got chat. And when should I start feeding.. Do I wait until I see defs happening or?
That depends on what your medium is and what's in it.. What are you growing in and what nutrients are you using?

I tried to look up palgron light mix soil but they must not be making it now? What is it? Is/was it precharged?

The need to water is not determined by how many liters over a given time frame. That is like asking how long is a rope?

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and roots there will die. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

@Mañ'O'Green @Proph... Its plagron* light mix.. I'm using the remo supercharged kit... I think I got you on the water bit..i tend to be abit heavy handed I'll cut it back and see how things go on the new run... Ive always seemed to get nute burn like tips at the top too maybe 3 weeks in on all my grows.. B4 I've any nutes.. I haven't a clue how as the soil doesn't have much

You water underneath and around the seedling. In a little circle. That circle should barely cover the outside of the leaves. You don't need much at all in the seedling stage. Definitely no where near run off. After the leaves have reached the edge of the pot or farther, then you can start watering the entire pot. Whether or not you water until run off depends of the type of nutrients you are using. If they are based, water to about 15% run off. If organic. No run off is needed. The watering rule I use is the 10% rule. Which is 1 gallon of water for every 10 gallons of soil.. So once your leaves have grown past the pots edges, water with a half gallon per 5gal pot every other day or so or as needed... Every nutrient is absorbed at a different ph.. That's why they have "ph ranges" and not a set number. Here is a chart for soil.

This very useful! Thank you. I thought I was underwatering my plant, but I'm glad to see that I was right not to space out watering.

Since the other guy also asked, when would be the right time to begin nutrients in Happy Frog soil? I'll be using Mega Crop.

This very useful! Thank you. I thought I was underwatering my plant, but I'm glad to see that I was right not to space out watering.

Since the other guy also asked, when would be the right time to begin nutrients in Happy Frog soil? I'll be using Mega Crop.

I used Happy Frog a lot outdoors. It has nutrients already in it. Only thing I would add is Cal/Mag, around 1/3rd to 1/2 dose. Into flowering I'd maybe start adding a quarter dose or so of Mega Crop, and maybe some Bud Explosion from Greenleaf Nutes. The plants will tell you when and if they need more than just the Happy Frog. Good luck to you :headbang:

With ocean forest you can go 4-6 weeks without feeding.. With happy frog I would feel safe saying that you can easily go 2-3 weeks before you start feeding at half strength. If you need more, work your way up by increasing the dose.

I used Happy Frog a lot outdoors. It has nutrients already in it. Only thing I would add is Cal/Mag, around 1/3rd to 1/2 dose. Into flowering I'd maybe start adding a quarter dose or so of Mega Crop, and maybe some Bud Explosion from Greenleaf Nutes. The plants will tell you when and if they need more than just the Happy Frog. Good luck to you :headbang:

The guy at my grow shop said I'd need some, so I bought some Roots Organic Cal Mag. I think it's organic (not a salt), so it goes well with MC. Thanks!

With ocean forest you can go 4-6 weeks without feeding.. With happy frog I would feel safe saying that you can easily go 2-3 weeks before you start feeding at half strength. If you need more, work your way up by increasing the dose.

Yeah, I was going to go with 2g/gal of the MC at around 3 weeks. Thanks for confirming!

Back