Newbie tools, What is needed and why, Come contrbute!

yep and can even check the ph of your pee.has a thread of its own.
when I started growing I got a thermometer.
then I discovered I needed a hydrometer.
i should have got a thermometer/hydrometer...with min/max memory.:pighug:

OK, I'm baffled with an item on the list..... what is a "Pump powered breaker watering head"? When I Google or Bing for it I get responses primarily for submersible water pumps. I'm planning a DWC setup with hopefully 4-6 buckets and wondered if this was something that would be a big help with changing out water and nutes....
An afterthought -- Assuming a max of 6 buckets with ~3 gal each, any recommendations for an air pump and air stones? I'd prefer one pump unless experienced members here feel multiple pumps would be better.
TIA for your help......

Hi all...
I'm considering my first grow and am wondering what I need as far as lighting. What would be necessary for a couple of auto flowers in a basement which has zero natural light.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi all...
I'm considering my first grow and am wondering what I need as far as lighting. What would be necessary for a couple of auto flowers in a basement which has zero natural light.

Thanks in advance.
A good starting point would be 50 watts per Sq. foot.

Would that be the same if they were just in a corner with light directed on them, as compared to...say a 4x4 cabinet?

Would that be the same if they were just in a corner with light directed on them, as compared to...say a 4x4 cabinet?

Think of growing lights with reflectors as a normal living room light with a triangular shade which is open at the bottom.

At night your see the coverage of range of light coming out of the shade when it shines on the ground.

So anything inside that space the light covers will get the resources from the light to help it grow, but if you placed a plant in a corner where it gets bare minal lighting and the light cannot penetrate both top an bottom of your plant. Then your reducing your overall results when it comes to harvesting time.

Hop onto YouTube sometime an Google grow Diaries, your find tons of different grows and how the lighting is setup to help you understand the importance of light positioning.

Even using a Euro reflector and a 150w calf bulb can still produce a good result for a beginner. I know because I use to do budget twin auto grows in a carboard slimmer than a dr60 secret Jardin grow tent.

Before you venture into growing any first time research as much as possible because there is a world of info even for starters to absorb you just need to keep researching even when you think you know it all as the minds hunger for knowledge to better yourself in growing is not limited to just an hour a day.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think you mis-understood my question. I wasn't asking about growing in a dark corner.

What I was wondering is... if the lighting requirenents are different in a room... with the proper light directly overhead compared to the confined space of a cabinet or grow tent which may actually reflect some of that light back on the plant?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think you mis-understood my question. I wasn't asking about growing in a dark corner.

What I was wondering is... if the lighting requirenents are different in a room... with the proper light directly overhead compared to the confined space of a cabinet or grow tent which may actually reflect some of that light back on the plant?

If your growing in a gtent you won't need to worry as the reflective material in most tents are designed to reflect light to the sides an lower branches of the plant.

But researching into sea of green an screen of green is as valuable as gold [emoji6]

But if your growing in a carboard or a Cabernet you will need either reflective material covering all walls an the inside of the door. OR as I discovered panting all walls and the side of the door in Matt White ceiling paint saves a few quid.

Hope that's a better understanding for ya.

Back