Organic living soil in a pot?

Jose_Fuego

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals,

I've been thinking about doing an outdoor TLO soil grow this coming spring (Australia) So starting to get the "living soil" ball rolling soon for an October-ish germination is probably beneficial

The loose plan was to do it in maybe a 3 gal or 5 gal pot early spring, and then as it gets pretty hot here I was thinking dig a hole in the garden and drop the pot in there to keep it cool and protect the roots from the harsh Aussie sun as a precaution (late spring early summer can produce 40+ Celsius days)

So I've been perusing all the organic and outdoor threads about building soils and light quality etc etc.... great information!
But then I came across a thread with a very reputable grower on here that mentioned live soil in pots isn't really optimal. I totally understand in the ground will definitely be better but I sort of wanted a bit of portability.

So I guess the question is-

"Is growing in a pot of living soil worth it... or should I just grow in the pot and feed it nutrients?"

@Jose_Fuego So you want to start in a pot and when the weather gets hot plant pot in ground correct ? If so you will not have a problem with doing that , mulch the ground heavy and you will have way better root temps . You could even do transplant a pot and that would be even better . :thumbsup:

@Jose_Fuego So you want to start in a pot and when the weather gets hot plant pot in ground correct ? If so you will not have a problem with doing that , mulch the ground heavy and you will have way better root temps . You could even do transplant a pot and that would be even better . :thumbsup:

Hey @hecno,

Nah was thinking more grow in the pot the whole way (for portability purposes, stealth) but i have read that being in a hot climate the direct sunlight on the pot will fry my root growth. Digging the hole was just an aside to keep the pot outta the direct sunlight and keep the root ball cool yet remain relocatable when there is fams and friends over visiting.... if that makes sense

Yes it does , and yes with those temps you will cook the roots , I'll call out 2 blokes that will be able to advice you better . @smokeyfromau
@the green bandit I am in the tropics -- FNQ -- :thumbsup:

True organic living soil takes a few years of care to reach a maximum potential. Before my back got bad I could rotate soil from my outdoor garden in a 5 gallon pot. I could grow a plant water only and it was sweet! I ran in to two major problems, my back gave out on me and I had to move to hydro so pumps could do the heavy lifting. Second the soil was only good for 1 plant and then it needed almost 2 years to rejuvenate back in the outdoor garden where the "theft" of my top soil was messing with the vegetables. Where I live now just does not afford enough garden soil to supply the indoor needs.

Plus I have got away from the ridged rules of real organic in the outdoor garden it is just too much work for me now.

Yes it does , and yes with those temps you will cook the roots , I'll call out 2 blokes that will be able to advice you better . @smokeyfromau
@the green bandit I am in the tropics -- FNQ -- :thumbsup:

Cheers Hecno,
The thing I'm most unsure about is will a 3 gal or 5 gal pot have enough volume to make use of the living soil? .... or would it be better to go about it a different way.
At the end of the day if I can harvest 1 or 2 oz of smoke I'll be over the moon.... but I would love for it to be as close as mother nature intended as possible

... and btw thanks for all you have contributed to this forum. It's helped heaps already and I haven't even purchased a seed yet

Go with 27 liter pot , Feed the soil and all will be good .

True organic living soil takes a few years of care to reach a maximum potential. Before my back got bad I could rotate soil from my outdoor garden in a 5 gallon pot. I could grow a plant water only and it was sweet! I ran in to two major problems, my back gave out on me and I had to move to hydro so pumps could do the heavy lifting. Second the soil was only good for 1 plant and then it needed almost 2 years to rejuvenate back in the outdoor garden where the "theft" of my top soil was messing with the vegetables. Where I live now just does not afford enough garden soil to supply the indoor needs.

Plus I have got away from the ridged rules of real organic in the outdoor garden it is just too much work for me now.

Cheers Man'O' Green,
I hear ya mate, my back isn't getting any better either
I have access to some composted soil with some worms getting around in it. So I got a bit of a start... was hoping to bring that up a few notches in the coming months.... probably not enough time to get it optimal but hopefully good enough to get some quality flower
I might have to check out how you are going about it and get some tips

Cheers Man'O' Green,
I hear ya mate, my back isn't getting any better either
I have access to some composted soil with some worms getting around in it. So I got a bit of a start... was hoping to bring that up a few notches in the coming months.... probably not enough time to get it optimal but hopefully good enough to get some quality flower
I might have to check out how you are going about it and get some tips
If I was going to recommend one gardening book to cover "chemical free" gardening it is this book:

ScreenHunter_257 May. 02 23.16.jpg

This is my go to book for the basics.

Back