Perlite problems and questions.

FullMoonparty

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper by Mephisto
I rinsed a few bags of MG perlite like you would rice. I was not crazy about the added fertilizer and one bag felt like it got wet somehow. I dumped the perlite in a tub and filled the tub with water and washed it thoroughly. The next day I dumped the water and found about 1/4 inch of paste had setteled out. After letting it dry the paste turned rock hard. I belive by combining that paste with the rice hulls I use you could make bricks.
Question; Does anyone wash their perlite? Should I be concerned about it? I usually use a different brand. That was all they had.
This picture should help. How do I make pictures smaller btw?
20230608_093504.jpg

I rinsed a few bags of MG perlite like you would rice. I was not crazy about the added fertilizer and one bag felt like it got wet somehow. I dumped the perlite in a tub and filled the tub with water and washed it thoroughly. The next day I dumped the water and found about 1/4 inch of paste had setteled out. After letting it dry the paste turned rock hard. I belive by combining that paste with the rice hulls I use you could make bricks.
Question; Does anyone wash their perlite? Should I be concerned about it? I usually use a different brand. That was all they had.
This picture should help. How do I make pictures smaller btw? View attachment 1601809
Not sure. Maybe @Mañ'O'Green @Mossy @Fermented_Fruitz know.

@FullMoonparty :welcome: Welcome to AFN :welcome:. It is not necessary in most applications for soil or coco to rinse perlite but if using in hydro it is a good idea. The dust is just perlite that has broken off the larger pieces. It has a very small calcium content and that is what sticks it together like cement. It is not very soluble in water so adds very little to the nutrient profile.

@FullMoonparty :welcome: Welcome to AFN :welcome:. It is not necessary in most applications for soil or coco to rinse perlite but if using in hydro it is a good idea. The dust is just perlite that has broken off the larger pieces. It has a very small calcium content and that is what sticks it together like cement. It is not very soluble in water so adds very little to the nutrient profile.
Thank you so much for your help. I was a little concerned because I mixed a lot of perlite in with all my soil. My soil was still too heavy with tree bark and other debris so I screened it and added "lots "of perlite. What ratio? That's anyone's guess. I know now that I should have at least attempted to measure everything.
This place is great so far. I have a lot of reading to do. I'll try not to over-post or start new threads every day. I'm still weighing the pro and cons of starting a grow journal here. If y'all dont corerct my splelnig or , punkchewation. I'll cosinerd it. You can stil undretrsand my dislexic sepling too?

Thank you so much for your help. I was a little concerned because I mixed a lot of perlite in with all my soil. My soil was still too heavy with tree bark and other debris so I screened it and added "lots "of perlite. What ratio? That's anyone's guess. I know now that I should have at least attempted to measure everything.
This place is great so far. I have a lot of reading to do. I'll try not to over-post or start new threads every day. I'm still weighing the pro and cons of starting a grow journal here. If y'all dont corerct my splelnig or , punkchewation. I'll cosinerd it. You can stil undretrsand my dislexic sepling too?
I understand probably because I am slydexic also :laughcry: . If you just have a question no need to start a thread just drop into Live Stoner some one always hanging out in there that can answer quetions.

I understand probably because I am slydexic also :laughcry: . If you just have a question no need to start a thread just drop into Live Stoner some one always hanging out in there that can answer quetions.

Hey, great that sounds cool. I'll have to check it out when I get some time now and then. Great resources here too.

Hey @FullMoonparty, don't worry. It's a weed and can put up with a lot of abuse! :crying: I overpost and start new threads every day. Well, pretty often. :hump: Have your say! :muahaha::yay1:

:welcome: to AFN! It's a great site.

I'm glad you asked about the perlite because I was gonna start adding some to my soil as well so it's nice to see someone else who's curious about why it got so solid!......:welcome: to the AFN @FullMoonparty and this is the best Community for growing up great Auto's! It's hands down the best atmosphere and positive vibes, I've learned more about growing & having fun doing it since joining then a couple years on other forums!:toke::woody:

Back