Reaction score
I'm growing a lambs breath autoflower in a 5 gallon smart pot and my medium is Sunshine Mix #4 with organic dry nutes pre mixed into the medium. After it started to flower I top dressed it with power bloom and a week or so after that I top coated it with worm castings. I finally got my digital soil ph meter today and was able to test my mediums ph and it read 7.2-7.3... I've read a lot of mixed opinions on elemental sulfur and aluminum sulfate so I'm trying to find out what I can add to the medium directly to lower the ph in a decently quick rate. Can I water with a lower pH like maybe 5.5 or 6.0 to lower the pH or will that do anything at all? Anyone able to help me out?

I'm growing a lambs breath autoflower in a 5 gallon smart pot and my medium is Sunshine Mix #4 with organic dry nutes pre mixed into the medium. After it started to flower I top dressed it with power bloom and a week or so after that I top coated it with worm castings. I finally got my digital soil ph meter today and was able to test my mediums ph and it read 7.2-7.3... I've read a lot of mixed opinions on elemental sulfur and aluminum sulfate so I'm trying to find out what I can add to the medium directly to lower the ph in a decently quick rate. Can I water with a lower pH like maybe 5.5 or 6.0 to lower the pH or will that do anything at all? Anyone able to help me out?
This may be redundant but what kind of meter did you get? Did you calibrate it and follow instructions carefully? That mix is supposed to be primarily peat. peat has a tendency to run acidic so they add dolomite lime to buffer it. Maybe too much or maybe you just hit a zone high in the lime? If the former you will have troubles that you may not be able to solve without undue stress on the plants.

This may be redundant but what kind of meter did you get? Did you calibrate it and follow instructions carefully? That mix is supposed to be primarily peat. peat has a tendency to run acidic so they add dolomite lime to buffer it. Maybe too much or maybe you just hit a zone high in the lime? If the former you will have troubles that you may not be able to solve without undue stress on the plants.
I bought a bluelab soil ph pen that you can insert directly into the soil. I did calibrate it as well. Buffer 7 first then buffer 4. I overwaterd the plant a few weeks ago and since then I've been having troubles. I mean it looks good and it still is flowering some nice looking buds, but it's a small plant and you can tell there's a deficiency because the leaves at the bottom started to yellow. No other leaves besides the first few have started to yellow yet. There's so many factors that could be wrong but I know the pH is the main factor for all the deficiencies.

I bought a bluelab soil ph pen that you can insert directly into the soil. I did calibrate it as well. Buffer 7 first then buffer 4. I overwaterd the plant a few weeks ago and since then I've been having troubles. I mean it looks good and it still is flowering some nice looking buds, but it's a small plant and you can tell there's a deficiency because the leaves at the bottom started to yellow. No other leaves besides the first few have started to yellow yet. There's so many factors that could be wrong but I know the pH is the main factor for all the deficiencies.
I don't think sulfur or aluminum is the answer with the plants growing. I would fertigate at 6.2 PH and see what happens.

I don't think sulfur or aluminum is the answer with the plants growing. I would fertigate at 6.2 PH and see what happens.
So I managed to get the pH down to 6.0-6.5 depending on where I stuck the tester in the medium. What I'm wondering now is what kind of deficiency I have with my plant. There's so many mixed opinions that I cannot tell if its Magnesium or Nitrogen or if it's something else completely... any help with that? I'll attach some pics. Its still flowering quite well for its lack of size lol.

Attachments

• 15924537053245563453650032326111.jpg
    15924537053245563453650032326111.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 15924537377586653567472188533709.jpg
    15924537377586653567472188533709.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 15924537639377593074870686528816.jpg
    15924537639377593074870686528816.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 79
So I managed to get the pH down to 6.0-6.5 depending on where I stuck the tester in the medium. What I'm wondering now is what kind of deficiency I have with my plant. There's so many mixed opinions that I cannot tell if its Magnesium or Nitrogen or if it's something else completely... any help with that? I'll attach some pics. Its still flowering quite well for its lack of size lol.
The problem was the high PH don't do anything different from normal. The nutrients the plant needs will be available to it now. Fertigate normally.

Back