"Photos have a better terpene profile and taste better than autos"

Phtotos have nothing on autos, terpene wise! No? Grow Mephisto's Chemdogging. I grew some. One day, I asked my lady if the cat died. We don't have a cat.......... PEEEWWW!! The Death flower might be stinkier but not by much!

Phtotos have nothing on autos, terpene wise! No? Grow Mephisto's Chemdogging. I grew some. One day, I asked my lady if the cat died. We don't have a cat.......... PEEEWWW!! The Death flower might be stinkier but not by much!
Ogre Berry was the stinkiest BY FAR I've grown! At least she was GOOD smellin! :funny:

I think with autos you are at a bit more disadvantage because you can't perpetually clone a really good keeper. Let's not forget alot more work has been put into the cannabis gene pool some long before any of us were even alive and the majority of that work has been put into photos so I don't think it's a fair comparison. Plus the last thirty years if autos had the amount of work put into them photos would be a tiny bit less desirable. My two cents for what it's worth.
No, most modern autos have had 90%+ of the Ruderalis genetics bred out of it. Most crosses now are a photo with an existing hybrid auto or are auto x auto crosses. The majority of the genetics in all modern autoflowers came from photoperiods. The only superiority that photos have is the ability to clone them. However, if you make your own fem seeds, from one plant, each seed is pretty much a clone of the mother. Also, even clones can express genetic variation depending on environment, nutrients, etc. There is no guarantee your fancy and expensive clone of
( whatever ) is going to be just like the mother.

I haven't had that much of a difference with photos and autos. I would just imagine if photos are better it's because lots more work went into them. Until recently the autos have been bred by a minority of the cannabis community if you want to call it that. most of the focus has been on photos. But yeah your probably right there isn't much of a difference anymore. @pop22

No, most modern autos have had 90%+ of the Ruderalis genetics bred out of it. Most crosses now are a photo with an existing hybrid auto or are auto x auto crosses. The majority of the genetics in all modern autoflowers came from photoperiods. The only superiority that photos have is the ability to clone them. However, if you make your own fem seeds, from one plant, each seed is pretty much a clone of the mother. Also, even clones can express genetic variation depending on environment, nutrients, etc. There is no guarantee your fancy and expensive clone of
( whatever ) is going to be just like the mother.
Well, S1s aren't really what you assume they are. At first i thought the same thing, but have since been corrected. I'd advise giving this discussion a listen. (Starting around 9 min they discuss exactly this)

Between my outdoor photos and indoor autos there is no comparison, the autos win big time for flavor and thc strength.
But outdoor vs indoor is at least as big a difference as auto vs photo. We can control so much more inside that positively affects taste & yield. It's a question that's bugged me for years & I'm leaning toward the genetics of photoperiods being better for taste ,& smell. Ask me again next year!

Back