Pot Size and Auto Flowering plants

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Non Smoker
Howdy everyone! Hope your weekend is looking great. Last year I started to learn about auto flower strains and became very interested in giving some autos a go. A discussion I've come across from time to time is pot size. One grower will say "the bigger the pot the bigger the plant" while another counters saying "any pot bigger then 5 gallons is a waste of medium, water, and nutrients if not growing in soil. So far the limited number of autos I have grown have been in 3 gallon fabric pots with ProMix BX medium. Today I was at the nursery just looking around and came across a great deal on some really heavy gauge plastic pots. I got five 15 gallon pots for $15.00 which is a great price for as thick as the plastic is. So I am wondering what sage advice you guys can offer with regard to pot size related to plant size. I'm about as new here as you can get. Still learning how to navigate the site and have NO CLUE how to upload pictures from my phone. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death and buried too many times but I was not able to find any discussions on this topic so had to start this thread.

Indoor I typically don't go under 3 gallon unless running coco. Coco you can push hard, even in small bags you can get monster plants.Then I'll drop down to 1 gallon.
Am usually in 5 gallon bags with soil.
Outdoor that changes, as 5 gallon bags will get too warm in the summer. No smaller than 10 gallon bags, preferably 20.

Indoor, in soil, less than 3 gallon and I see a drop off in overall size and harvest weight. Over 5 and I don't see any increase in plant size or weight, so seems like between 3-5 is the sweet spot for indoor.

Rule of thumb is 1 gallon of soil needed for each month of plant life expected. Most autos are done in under 90 days, so 3, but I run the 5s for a little cushion.

I have run in 1 gallon bags of soil on a seed run. Plants stayed small, and needed much more bottled nutes over all.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is 1 gallon of soil needed for each month of plant life expected.

hmmmmmm......
emoji_u1f914.png
ok, that would explain a thing or two... :rofl: :rolleyes2: ppp

Indoor I typically don't go under 3 gallon unless running coco. Coco you can push hard, even in small bags you can get monster plants.Then I'll drop down to 1 gallon.
Am usually in 5 gallon bags with soil.
Outdoor that changes, as 5 gallon bags will get too warm in the summer. No smaller than 10 gallon bags, preferably 20.

Indoor, in soil, less than 3 gallon and I see a drop off in overall size and harvest weight. Over 5 and I don't see any increase in plant size or weight, so seems like between 3-5 is the sweet spot for indoor.

Rule of thumb is 1 gallon of soil needed for each month of plant life expected. Most autos are done in under 90 days, so 3, but I run the 5s for a little cushion.

I have run in 1 gallon bags of soil on a seed run. Plants stayed small, and needed much more bottled nutes over all.
Thanks Arthur for taking the time to share this valuable information. I have very little sun in my yard so I'm pretty much stuck growing inside only. I will enjoy I think learning how to grow autos to maximize the potential of the plant/strain. I have become aware that some breeders really seem to have their act together when it comes to autos. They've put in the time and effort to produce top quality auto genetics. Other breeders not so much but they sell their seeds anyway to get in the auto game. I haven't yet read the rules of the site regarding mentioning breeders by name but I think I have some decent auto seeds with which to get started. One day I hope to get my hands on some Mephisto Genetics as I have read very good things about them. They're just always sold out anywhere I look. I only have a couple seed sites from which I feel comfortable purchasing seeds so that makes it harder. Thanks again Arthur for sharing this information.

Tomorrow I am going shopping to see if I can find some garden lime / limestone. I am wanting to grow autos in ProMix but I just honestly can't afford that stuff. So I am going to take a shot at making my own. I am thinking of figuring out how to make a journal and documenting my auto grow. For the homemade ProMix I already have Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, Great White mycorrhizae, and a bottle of pure aloe vera gel which I'll use as my wetting agent. I just need the limestone. Here are the pots I bought at the nursery yesterday. The big ones on the right are 15 gallon. The tall slender ones are about 3-4 gallons and probably 20 inches tall. The small ones on the left are 3 gallon. Eleven pots for $20.00 Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
View media item 23155

Thanks Arthur for taking the time to share this valuable information. I have very little sun in my yard so I'm pretty much stuck growing inside only. I will enjoy I think learning how to grow autos to maximize the potential of the plant/strain. I have become aware that some breeders really seem to have their act together when it comes to autos. They've put in the time and effort to produce top quality auto genetics. Other breeders not so much but they sell their seeds anyway to get in the auto game. I haven't yet read the rules of the site regarding mentioning breeders by name but I think I have some decent auto seeds with which to get started. One day I hope to get my hands on some Mephisto Genetics as I have read very good things about them. They're just always sold out anywhere I look. I only have a couple seed sites from which I feel comfortable purchasing seeds so that makes it harder. Thanks again Arthur for sharing this information.

by all meanz, mention whatever breeder u want :thumbsup: ppp

You'll love the mephisto ladies, have run a large majority of their gear, almost all were or are top notch smoke. Running 5 now, all are returns to my tent.
Ghost Toof, Northern Cheese Haze, Hubbabubba Haze, and 2 Walter Whites.
Will be done sometime late April.

There's some other good breeders out there, and an F-ton of pollen chuckers, but sometimes you find magic in odd places too.

I never need a down, but this is what I use for my up.
16138655607527533863239980633921.jpg
16138655699904471137918412200146.jpg

Tomorrow I am going shopping to see if I can find some garden lime / limestone. I am wanting to grow autos in ProMix but I just honestly can't afford that stuff. So I am going to take a shot at making my own. I am thinking of figuring out how to make a journal and documenting my auto grow. For the homemade ProMix I already have Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, Great White mycorrhizae, and a bottle of pure aloe vera gel which I'll use as my wetting agent. I just need the limestone. Here are the pots I bought at the nursery yesterday. The big ones on the right are 15 gallon. The tall slender ones are about 3-4 gallons and probably 20 inches tall. The small ones on the left are 3 gallon. Eleven pots for $20.00 Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
View media item 23155

to fire up a journal, jus go to the link below...once there, at the top right of page (on pc, dunno about fone), there'z an orange box that sez "post thread"...click that & ur off to the racez! :headbang: ppp

edit: oopz, forgot to put the sillee link up :doh:

https://www.autoflower.org/forums/new-growers-grow-journals.44/

Back