Salve decarb yes or no

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
I want to make a general purpose salve with coconut oil, beeswax and maybe a little olive oil. I will be using my Magical Butter II machine. The question I have is should I decarb the weed first or not? Does THCa and CBDa have topical medical benefits before decarbing?

Great question.

There might be benefit to using acid forms topicaly, now I am curious.

Rather than a separate decarb step, I do it during the infusion process. I aim for other elements too: saps, waxes, oils, etc, so I don't go for a full decarb.

Great question.

There might be benefit to using acid forms topicaly, now I am curious.

Rather than a separate decarb step, I do it during the infusion process. I aim for other elements too: saps, waxes, oils, etc, so I don't go for a full decarb.
I want to make a general purpose salve with coconut oil, beeswax and maybe a little olive oil. I will be using my Magical Butter II machine. The question I have is should I decarb the weed first or not? Does THCa and CBDa have topical medical benefits before decarbing?
Decarb half, and reap the benefits of both acid and neutral thc forms.

Yeah, plus the other phytochemicals that would have been destroyed otherwise.

Now this has got me really thinking, maybe I will decarb some, not decarb some and add some fresh leaves that I need to defoliate from my current grow.

I would like to hear the opinions of @Root and any other medical leaning members who may have done this already.

Now this has got me really thinking, maybe I will decarb some, not decarb some and add some fresh leaves that I need to defoliate from my current grow.

I would like to hear the opinions of @Root and any other medical leaning members who may have done this already.

Hi @Mañ'O'Green , I usually do not decarb anymore for most topicals. But I do long, low temperature infusing and some decarbing will take place.
The salve I make to kill my skin cancer spots and accelerate healing and skin growth, I do use decarbed material...but don't really know if it is necessary. :shrug:

Ok so I just used 1 oz. of sugar leaf trim cured but not decarbed and 2 cups of coconut oil in the MBII for 8 hours @130°F. Then I used 3 cups of chopped up (in the Cuisinart) fresh leaves from defoliating my current grow in the filtered oil for 4 hours @130°F. in the MBII - Still running as I type this. I will be adding beeswax and maybe just a little bit of olive oil for a smoother consistency.

I do not have an immediate need for this. I was inspired to make this by my wife. She had a kink in here neck muscle from sleeping on it wrong and it took a few days to get over it. I am hoping this will help if she does that again.

I use a long-ish infusion process using a turkey roasting bag and my low slow cooker. (want a sous vide!) I throw in some lavender and oregano or mint if I have some. It's not pure science admittedly, but I feel I get more out of a partial decarb.

There is an interesting patent out there if you search for it but that's as much as I will say, to respectfully avoid trouble.
But feel free to look for vitamin B6 plus our favorite plant plus decarboxylation, I am certain that you will find it a very interesting read.

I can understand why someone would want to use a cheap, healthy, readily available agent to have precision over the amount of THC they have while also reducing heat and therefore destruction....

...:eyebrows:

Back