Sativa, Indica, Ruderalis - Is it all BS?

This is a great discussion. My believe is we botched it post-70's. My father says the same thing. The best weed he can get in dispensaries today, doesn't compare to his 70's weed he used to grow. I think post 70's we started breeding cannabis to get the THC waaayyyy up, and lost all the goodies along the way.

This is a great discussion. My believe is we botched it post-70's. My father says the same thing. The best weed he can get in dispensaries today, doesn't compare to his 70's weed he used to grow. I think post 70's we started breeding cannabis to get the THC waaayyyy up, and lost all the goodies along the way.

That's what I've been saying for years. Other than a few outstanding hybrids most strains have been so mongrelized and inbred that they're hardly discernible from each other. I've sampled a lot of strains over the years and very few stood out.

So much new medical knowledge about the terpenes and flavinoids that work synergestically with pot for everything from mood alteration to curing cancer are coming out now that the focus is switching to developing various strains to cure what ails us.

There's still plenty of stoners that are right into the buzziest buzz going and are now digging pure THC isolates and 97% THC shatters but are missing so much of what makes pot such a mysterious lady.

So many seeds out there that are no better than what any pollen chucker like myself can produce being sold for the same price as as fabulous strains that have been developed over years of painstaking selection and breeding by real masters. And the suckers buy them up. :(

I smoked my first joint back in '68 and pot has never been far from my thoughts since. Grew my first buds in '78 then on and off over the decades until moving up here to northern Alberta in Feb '01 with 6 hash plant clones in a lunch pail. Never a day without plants in the house since.

circle.gif

That's what I've been saying for years. Other than a few outstanding hybrids most strains have been so mongrelized and inbred that they're hardly discernible from each other. I've sampled a lot of strains over the years and very few stood out.

So much new medical knowledge about the terpenes and flavinoids that work synergestically with pot for everything from mood alteration to curing cancer are coming out now that the focus is switching to developing various strains to cure what ails us.

There's still plenty of stoners that are right into the buzziest buzz going and are now digging pure THC isolates and 97% THC shatters but are missing so much of what makes pot such a mysterious lady.

So many seeds out there that are no better than what any pollen chucker like myself can produce being sold for the same price as as fabulous strains that have been developed over years of painstaking selection and breeding by real masters. And the suckers buy them up. :(

I smoked my first joint back in '68 and pot has never been far from my thoughts since. Grew my first buds in '78 then on and off over the decades until moving up here to northern Alberta in Feb '01 with 6 hash plant clones in a lunch pail. Never a day without plants in the house since.

View attachment 1207970

synergy for the win! :yay: ppp

Screenshot_2020-06-29-13-11-06-96.png

I have attached screenshot and make points

1) the Sanskrit translations for Cannabis are not just translations but different sub species

2) Nepali Afghan Thai.....wait till California gets to smoke real classics like South India for true sativa madness North Bangladesh for mind blowing "hybrids"

What you call sativa in Asia is low land weed closer to sea level, Indica is Highland weed and "hybrids" in-between.

Ruderalis is ancient cattle fodder of domesticated weed which now grows wild as a memory of our ancient canna culture.

It's all the same plant and the plant simply adapts to fit the environment it lives in. In ancient times so called indicas would not grow well in the lowlands until they were bred for many generations and natural selection and Darwinism eventually created Ancient Sativas as we call them today.

Cannabis from very high in the mountains I would imagine would grow better in cold European countries and warmer places like Spain and Florida may enjoy the company of some lowland species.

To add to the confusion there are many natural autoflowers or dare I say it semi autoflowers in Assam and Nagaland that are mind-blowing, autoflowers however on Thai islands around Goa and Kerala are different as backpackers brought Dutch seeds to those places decades ago and so they now grow naturally there in a few areas.

In the 1970's everything I had access to was Mexican, Colombian and once Hawaiian I got direct from the island. Those were all considered Sativa. Except for the Hawaiian, all the weed I smoked in those days had seeds.

Now, every thing I have smoked or grown is seedless so far as I either used feminized seeds or destroyed the male plants when using regular seeds. Everything I have grown has been advertised as hybrids or indicas.

For the most part I get high by smoking very little. The plants I grow give me nice yields and frosty buds and sugar leaves and is some of the best looking and smelling weed I have ever had.

But....it never gives me the same high when smoked that I always experienced back in the 1970's and 1980's when I use to get the seedy Mexican and Colombian weed common in those days. The weed of those days was more psychoactive in its effects on me. I actually had hallucinations, paranoia, couch lock where you couldn't move at all, time lapses.

I don't experience any of that with medical dispensary weed I have been given or anything I have grown. Even when letting a plant grow longer than usual.

I have been able to get that effect when I have made edibles though. But since the marijuana has to be metabolized first when ingested as an edible, it takes 30 minutes to two hours before it hits me versus seconds or minutes by smoking where it goes directly into the bloodstream to the brain.

In my opinion, that gives me the feeling that the post above holds more than a grain of truth. Any weed I consume in edibles gives me the same effects that 1970's Sativas did. All those different types of weeds I smoked and liked in the 1970's and 1980's were grown under natural sunlight in Southern latitudes, warmer climates and even when full of seeds seemed more psychoactive than today's high THC strains.
I would have to agree with the statement about the Columbian Gold. The stuff I got in 1977 was the best weed ever. The stuff today is different in many ways, definatly not the same high. I may grow some of the pure strains I have seen on the net, such as Thai, Columbian Gold and Acapulco Gold and see if they compare.

I've appreciated the many thoughtful responses. And although I know next to nothing, I have a suggestion/challenge to insert: As it relates to evidence-based conclusions, anecdotal evidence/experiences are useful for hypothesis and text formation, but not as conclusory findings. What's more, I hope the more experienced and scientific heads will acknowledge/understand and then explain that a recollection of a past high's quality/intensity should not be the basis of a CLAIM that a strain, species or cousin is superior or inferior (photoperiod, non-photoperiod, sativa, indica, afganica or other sub-species) .

I propose that we abandon the ego and instead focus on repeatable and verifiable science. And the reason I propose this, is because I have "faith" that we can rebuild the genome, if in fact it has been abbreviated.

Love only,

View attachment 1207970
Agreed

Back