Sativa, Indica, Ruderalis - Is it all BS?

3CACFA7A-68DF-42EF-94A1-ADA7C52EDCEE.jpeg
BBDFCF32-B81E-4FEF-BC3E-7FD80966D056.jpeg
A48CB0DA-80EF-40D9-AAF3-39BAFC1912C0.jpeg

Someday, when old seeds have been recovered, sequenced, the sequences understood (what codes for what that makes each strain unique) and more advanced genetic and non-genetic plant sequence modification and cloning methods are more available, maybe some of the good-old legacy strains can be regenerated, whether de novo (from scratch) or by modification of existing strains.

Some people will not like it if genetic modification/recombination is used, but either that or even full plant genome cloning will likely be needed. Currently, I don't see how decades-old plant strains can be recovered without some of this.

For those with dislike of genetic engineering, do you have problems with the method, the outcomes (the plants) and/or who does the work and 'owns' the results? If a plant resulting from genetic engineering is fully identical to a model natural strain, how is that a problem? Or is it a problem that genetic engineering was used (dislike the methods used)? Or does it depend who does the work and 'owns' the strains, such as academic researcher vs. grower/breeder vs. biotech company?

Doug, I have been reading a little bit lately about that very psychedelic property. I remember back when I first started smoking, you would get some really good weed that would, as I used to say, send you off the cartoon land. I mean, I never saw my dog talk but I could’ve had an interesting daydream about my dog talking to some very bizarre cartoon characters in my head. One time my buddy and I said at our desk in our dorm room and watched cigarettes smoke swirling under our desk lamp for like 20 minutes and thought it was fascinating. What I have read recently says that some people think that the reason we don’t see that anymore is not because we have developed a type of tolerance that never permits that again. I know that if I went without smoking for a long time which I did a couple of times from my mid-20s to my early 40s, You would discover that not only did you get super high the first time you smoked but also that the weed had gotten a lot stronger in the ensuing years. LOL. So there was no real long-term tolerance but perhaps an absence of a certain substance that made you see those cartoons that was present in those tropical sativa‘s. As it turns out, it may be THCV. At least that is what some people think. We kind of have anecdotal evidence that says that one of the strains that had the reputation of not only getting you very high but making a trip, the black sub-Saharan African strains like black Congolese, not only had rather high THC levels for a pure land race, but also very high levels of THCV. I was watching that strain Hunter video about them going to Congo and when they came back and did that first generation cross of the “feral” plants that the locals grew, the first plant they got had like 8-9% “regular” THC but it also had over 1% THCV. So as you can probably imagine, a big joint of that stuff, even if it was seedy, would’ve had the potential to make your trip balls in 1979. And we had other tropical strains that could do that. I remember in Miami in the late 70s and early 80s, you would occasionally see a bag of weed that was seedy but had extremely tight Perfectly formed a little buds sized between say the diameter of a nickel and a quarter. That weed was not only uncrushed, if that’s a word, but also seemed a lot fresher. I have read recently that one of the problems with a lot of the Colombian bale pot aka “square grouper”or Mexican brick pot back then was not only that they threw most of the plant into the bale/brick, but most of it had been sitting around for perhaps as long as a year or more in less than ideal conditions especially after you started having a glut of the Columbian stuff in Florida in the late 70s. Normal weed went from $25-$30 an ounce somewhere in the 1976 to 1977. Time frame and was still selling for $30 an ounce in Miami fin the mid 80’s IIRC.That good stuff wOULD sometimes sell for like $50 an ounce when the regular bale pot was $30. I always figured that when we saw that stuff, it had possibly come from Brother Louv and his minions from the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church who lived in a mansion over on Star Island And that it didn’t sit around for nearly as long as the Columbian pot. I say that it was probably Jamaican because a year or two into the 80s, we started seeing a seedless version of the same gold pot with small tight buds that was selling for probably $75-$100 an ounce and getting broken up into grams that were being sold for 5 to 6 dollars a gram win the super Duper stuff like Gainesville green with selling for $10 a gram . That good Seedy stuff was the kind of smoke that if you and your friend shared a joint, you would be laughing hysterically at the dumbest stuff for the better part of two or three hours.
Gods above, I miss that Gville green. Living within 30 miles of there it was our normal.

Someone needs to try to re-create that in a modern auto form. I had that stuff once or twice in like 1981 and I think that by the time I got to Gainesville in the late 80s for graduate school, it had been supplanted by, well, everything else

Someone needs to try to re-create that in a modern auto form. I had that stuff once or twice in like 1981 and I think that by the time I got to Gainesville in the late 80s for graduate school, it had been supplanted by, well, everything else
Think that lovely leaf went away with growers graduation. Know that clones could be bought but never bothered making the trip cause it was so plentiful. ...for about 8 years....then it dried up....

Back