DIY Seed collectors-How do you store your seeds?

In mason jar taped to keep dark, in dehydrated rice, in the fridge. Labelled in their own envelopes/vials/whatever. Bottom line for me, cool, dark, and dry.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Mine stay in their original envelopes. Those go into a black poly mailer that goes in a large mason jar in the fridge. They’re not very organized though. Just bunged in there.

I use the plastic food bins with gaskets with mylar packets With silica packets to keep them dry. So I have a mephisto/nightowl bin , a mosca bin, a twisted tree sofem bin. A fastbuds bin, and two with the rest. All seeds are put in centrifuge tubes once pack is opened that seal and are labeled with a labelmaker. Tonight I was getting ready to drop seeds and could not find my new Nightowl from Halloween. I had left them in the drawer with the stickers. I was freakin out.

Can I ask how long your seeds last with the above methods?

I store in a cool, dark place, in a sealed tin with those little packet things & keep the seeds in the breeder packaging or paper envelopes. But I rarely get much action from seeds stored over 4 years with this method, and I'd love to be able to do something long term - 20 or 30 years or more. I assume there would be no cheap method to do this, but that would be the grail for me.

Anyway, what's your longest kept but still germinating seeds?

Collecting souvenirs for 20 years, always kept in orig sleeves, in tupperware container in frig. Recently popped a 7/8 year old seed although I usually don't keep any that long....germ rate on everything else is 99%+.

I don't know here I saw it but a guy did research on how long the seeds would last by different storage. Dry and cold, he said freezer is best and moisture is your enemy.

Collecting souvenirs for 20 years, always kept in orig sleeves, in tupperware container in frig. Recently popped a 7/8 year old seed although I usually don't keep any that long....germ rate on everything else is 99%+.
Thanks man, that's a step in the right direction. Twice a long as I'm able to do currently.

I don't know here I saw it but a guy did research on how long the seeds would last by different storage. Dry and cold, he said freezer is best and moisture is your enemy.
Yeah, I'm going to have to look into the freezer situation. I already have a hash stash in a frost free freezer (as it slows the THC to CBD conversion), so I may be able to do something in that direction.

Back