Lighting Sizing drivers, Series vs paralell - by BigSm0

BigSm0

C O B S H O P . N E T
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Website
cobshop.net
Long overdue. Guys and gals please read this entire thread before making any purchases or wiring any sort of light fixture up.

Making the most out of your driver and how to make sure they fit your needs.

Paralell wiring

Voltage output and amperage are the two most important things for fitting cobs to a driver. Using a 36v cob for reference. Your cobs voltage is 36 and the drivers voltage in the below listed driver is 48 so this cob fits within the drivers specs. Next is the amperage. Typically it's best to run cobs at 50watts or for this example on a 36v cob the amperage would be 1.4a or 1400ma. In paralell wiring which I'll have a picture below You would divide the drivers amperage by the number of cobs you have. This driver has an output of 3.9a (Example) 3 cobs / 3.9a = 1.3 amps per cob

In paralell you can run infinite number of cobs per driver but each additional cob drops each cobs amperage. Another (example) with 6 cobs
-6cobs / 3.9a = .65amps or 650ma per cob.
'

IMG_0870.PNG

This is how you wire in Paralell. Each cob gets its own positive and negative supply from the driver or the previous cob.
IMG_0867.PNG

Series wiring

In series wiring things are much different and typically the preferred method. With this type of wiring you would be looking for a driver which has a higher voltage and lower amperage. Using 36v cobs as the reference again. You now divide the cobs voltage by the drivers voltage to determine how many cobs can be run on each driver.

This driver has a forward voltage of 143v (example) 143 / 36 = 4. This means you could run 4 cobs per driver. The current or amperage to each cob would remain the same at 1.4a or 1400ma.

To achieve this you would wire the cobs in a different manner.
IMG_0872.PNG

This is how you would wire in series. It's basically a loop.

IMG_0867.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0867.PNG
    IMG_0867.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 5,187
  • IMG_0871.PNG
    IMG_0871.PNG
    171.8 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Something else I would like to add in is how to use these numbers to your benefit and how they equal WATTS!

As mentioned above I said on a 36v cob the best is to run it at 1.4a or 1400ma. The reason I said this was based on a simple formula.

Amps x volts = watts.

Now higher amperages can be used for these specific lights below but 50 watts is the most common and has a great cost to efficiency.

Typical citizen 1212 or Cree 3590 configuration
Recommended 1.4 amps X 36volts = 50.4 watts.

Citizen 1812,1818,1825
Recommended 1.05a or 1050ma driver current
50 x 1.05 = 52.5 watts.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I don't think it matters just so long as you know which is the positive and negative wire on the driver and match them appropriately to the connection on the cobs. Then just follow the above diagram. Either colour could be assigned to the positive in the diagram and the other colour assigned as the negative wire.

Series is the safest for your cobs. No concern of thermal runaway. In paralell if a cob blows the remaining cobs pick up the extra amperage and a domino effect takes place ruining all the cobs till there aren't any left. But I do like the fact the string of cobs can be changed to run more efficiently at a later date. It also has a lower voltage which allows people to use a wider variety of holders.

Series is simple and requires less wire, wiring and cleaner looking light. Also if a cob shorts or dies the remaining cobs will be safe.

Not direct to cobs but good info found here http://www.electricaltechnology.org/2015/03/parallel-connection-is-preferred-over-series.html

Back